Lil' Yami

Overlay Mapping

Hi Yami! Your script is so wonderfull. It helped me alot in making parallax mapping.

Well, I'm here for reporting an error (I think)...

The parallax only works me on the first map, when I transfer or start by position on the second map, the parallax does not work.

The names of the grafics are right (ground2-2, light2-1 and par2-1), but they don't show.

Please, help me.

EDIT: SOLVED

It was a database error, the map was MAP002, but it was taken as MAP003, because I erased the original MAP002, and it took its name. Confusing.

(Sorry for my bad english)

Edited by Danny

Love this script, but it is insanely difficult to examine the aspects of it in the demo when you run into a random encounter every. single. time you take a step. Should be noted for future releases.

I use my parallax image on my first map for testing purpose and the image shows... but the image is off, its not centered. I orginally use modern algebra's fix picture to map. I tryed removing MA's script but i still get the same issue. Been thinking maybe my parallax image is off itself.

I also use Map Saver by omega7 for creating parallax images to edit in PS.

Edited by lawfirm

I sent Yami a PM about this but noticed Yami hasn't been on here in a couple days. Just wondering if anyone else has their antivirus software remove this demo upon download, complaining about a threat called 'Suspicious.Cloud.7.ep'. ...Anyone?

• With that script you can make maps without limits of tileset tabs and also without limits of things over and under the character, you also can remodel any shadow or light for make the ambient of your game like you want, darker for terror games or so bright for some scenes or scenaries that you want.

You can see a video of the overlay script working in this link: 

(The video is in spanish but you can see how the overlay script works)

• How the script works?, is a bit difficult to say in some few words, but the script load in the map some images that are the elements of the new map, is more easy to teach with this image of Hanzo Kimura:

LayeringInstruction.jpg

Map editor layer is the map in your game, the ground layer is a new imagen that puts over the map editor layer but below the character, there you can put some objects like rocks, flowers, rivers, and other things that you can say can be below the character.

The character layer is all the events with images and your character, that layer you can't touch.

The parallax layer is also a png image where you can put every element that is over the character like the leaves of the trees, or maybe walls or anything that you want over the character.

The shadow layer and light layer are the lights and shadow that you want in your game, those layers are also a image but are a jpg image.

For understand better download the demo and see the folder of the game inside of graphics and look for the folder name it "Overlay", there you can analyse the demo and those images to understand better.

• Where do you save it? in the folder of you game, inside of graphics, there is a folder name it "Overlay", there you save the images with the name and format that in the demo are.

Hi everyone, please help me out if you can! I'm using this script with no other scripts right now and can't figure out why I'm getting this issue. I want a shadow effect that dims the screen slightly but doesn't change the color. So far using this script I have noticed that the shadow1-1.jpg file is displayed as a negative image (If I make it red, it displays green, black as white, etc.) and greatly distorts the contrast of the screen making the colors seem dark and muddy, making it difficult to see anything. I tried using the Light layer for my shadow effect instead, but I've noticed it ignores any dark colors and only seems to show whites! Is there any way around this issue?

Edit: Also, using the built in screen tint event tints the Ground layer more than it tints the Par layer... wtf?? So I can't use that method for shadows either. I can't figure out how to get a good looking shadow while using this script. :/

Edited by Mistdrgn

Can someone help me with this? The light overlay works fine on some of my maps but on the others it wont work =( I don't know what's wrong, I did the same thing the file name etc. Help? =(

GamerAthos, please don't double post within 72 hours. Edit your post instead (the edit link located near the quote button of your posts)

• Where do you save it? in the folder of you game, inside of graphics, there is a folder name it "Overlay", there you save the images with the name and format that in the demo are.

Like him I'm wondering where to save this script, and in what format? the script is displayed on a webpage. it's not a file, so where to save it and what format to save it in isn't very clear. I can cut and paste it into the script editor, but which subsection should it be placed in, does it matter? SHould it have a specific name for the file etc?

As with importing nearly all scripts, all you need to do is copy the text of the script (make sure you select all of it) and past it into an open slot in the script editor in RPG Maker, below Materials and above Main (the last two scripts at the bottom of the list.) Press insert to create a new open slot. It doesn't matter what you title the script, all the names are there for is to help you know which script is which.

Help.jpg

(Sorry for the terrible writing... I did it on paint really quick while I was at work. Lol!)

Hi everyone, please help me out if you can! I'm using this script with no other scripts right now and can't figure out why I'm getting this issue. I want a shadow effect that dims the screen slightly but doesn't change the color. So far using this script I have noticed that the shadow1-1.jpg file is displayed as a negative image (If I make it red, it displays green, black as white, etc.) and greatly distorts the contrast of the screen making the colors seem dark and muddy, making it difficult to see anything. I tried using the Light layer for my shadow effect instead, but I've noticed it ignores any dark colors and only seems to show whites! Is there any way around this issue?

Say, please, how to fix it?

I understand^

http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?s=&showtopic=48231&view=findpost&p=461913

I don't know if this has been addressed but when I set an event to "below characters" it is not visible, but can still be interacted with. Is there a fix for this? For some  events I have on the map, it's crucial that they are visible. How else would the player know that you can jump down an otherwise impassable wall there.

Hey, awesome script!

I am trying to use it to animate objects.

For example, I've created a little pond in gimp with 3 different water surface layers.

How should I go about making it animated in VX Ace?

Hey, awesome script!

I am trying to use it to animate objects.

For example, I've created a little pond in gimp with 3 different water surface layers.

How should I go about making it animated in VX Ace?

use Animated Parallax script by Modern Algebra

I'm trying to understand the instructions.

#=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    # - Overlay Switches -
    # These are switches which are enable overlay layers. Turn them on to show
    # them in your maps.
    #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    # Default: ON
    LIGHT_SWITCH = 1        # Turn on/off light layer
    SHADOW_SWITCH = 2       # Turn on/off shadow layer
    PARALLAX_SWITCH = 3     # Turn on/off parallax layer
    GROUND_SWITCH = 4       # Turn on/off ground layer

I thought switches are either True or False. Why are they numbered 1 to 4?

# - Overlay Variables -
    # A map can have more than one image per layer, that means you can have a
    # different light/shadow for day and night, or have a different ground when
    # an event occured.
    #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    # Default: 1
    LIGHT_VARIABLE = 2      # Switch to another light
    SHADOW_VARIABLE = 2     # Switch to another shadow
    PARALLAX_VARIABLE = 1   # Switch to another parallax
    GROUND_VARIABLE = 1     # Switch to another ground

I don't understand this either. What are the numbers for?

#==============================================================================
# ¥ Instructions
# =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
# Create a folder in Graphics and name it Overlay.
# Put all of your overlay into Graphics/Overlay.
# Your overlay file will have the name: "Filename Prefix" + Map-ID + "-" + Number
# which "Filename Prefix" is the one you will config below
# Map-ID is your map's ID
# Number is 1, 2, 3, ... using for Overlay Variables.
#
# Example: Graphics/Overlay/ground2-1.png
# Which means this will be ground layer, for map 2, variable = 1
#
# Light/Shadow must be .jpg
# Parallax/Ground must be .png
#
#==============================================================================

I don't understand what the last number in the file name is for. "Overlay Switches" or "Overlay Variables"?

Lastly, the link to the demo is dead. Anyone have a copy you could upload?

Thank you!

Edited by posfan12

Hey great script, helps me out a TON since I like to make my own backgrounds from scratch. Thanks for doing this!

One problem I am running into is the shadow and light layers. Are they supposed to ONLY include the shadows/lights or the whole image WITH lights/shadows? Because since they are JPGs and don't preserve empy spaces as transparency, it fills blank spaces with white and therefore I end up with a weird coloration on my final map. Here's a pic to show what i'm talking about:

The top image is what it appears as in game, the bottom is all the layers together in PS. 

problem_zpsb497456c.jpg

Other than that it works perfect. Anyone got any insight on what to do about this?

EDIT: Figured it out - the lights/shadows layers need to be ONLY black and white. I was trying to bring in other values and it was messing it up.

Edited by esterk