Jalice

interior parallax feedback~

Hi again, guys! Hope I'm posting this in the right place, lol. This time I've brought something I can actually show you, and hopefully get some feedback on!  :wub:

So I've been trying my hand at a bit of parallax mapping. It seemed that its an easier way to add a lot more clutter and detail to your maps, so I thought I would test it out- and I absolutely love it so far! Although I did try to create an exterior parallax map, I don't think it's my strong suit by the looks of it. Interior, however, ended up being really fun to make! 

So I was hoping to get some critique on my first parallaxes. I did watch a tutorial video to know a few of the basics (Parallax mapping tutorial for beginners), but I have to know If I can actually go somewhere with this. Bear with me as there are probably some mistakes or general errors here and there, but I tried my best~ I am also using gimp, so usually when I try to rotate or change the size of something it ends up a bit blurry. By using the sharpen tool I was able to fix that a bit, but I still wish I could use photoshop, haha.

Regardless, here is my attempt at a bedroom parallax. This is also my first time posting a picture, so I hope I do this correctly x>

post-46019-0-19720700-1405446259_thumb.png 

The idea in my head was a sort of room belonging to a writer, so there is a reason behind all those scattered papers and books. I also added a few stains and furniture imprints to add detail, but I don't know if you can see them that well. > v <

and also- here is what the map looks like in-game with khas light effects (credit to khas for his scipt)

post-46019-0-42921000-1405446409_thumb.png

And I can't forget the credits to the amazing people who created the tilesets I used for this!

-Celianna, for her amazing tilesets~

-Ayene for the flower pot and picture frame<3

-Cait/Caitlin for her gothic furniture- I thought I went really well with the carpet~ u v u)<3

-Enterbrain/tsukuru for the boxes and air conditioner of course! :>

-If I missed anything, just let me know and I'll add it in right away!-

Any and all feedback is appreciated, of course!<3

• Like 4

Oooh, this is really cozy!  :)  I was going to say something with the light ray, but once I saw the photo with the light effects, it was a lot better since it makes the ray blend in little more. The path that leads to the next room looks a little funny to me because it leads to the top wall of the room. Can't say much to be honest, but the clutter you added does help a lot to get rid of those empty spaces. this map is off to a great start. Nice work!  ^_^

Edited by LadyMinerva

Same here, it looks really good, especially with the lighting effects. The only issue I have with it is that the bed is facing away from the TV. Seems kind of redundant, maybe it is just me.

Oooh, this is really cozy!  :)  I was going to say something with the light ray, but once I saw the photo with the light effects, it was a lot better since it makes the ray blend in little more. The path that leads to the next room looks a little funny to me because it leads to the top wall of the room. Can't say much to be honest, but the clutter you added does help a lot to get rid of those empty spaces. this map is off to a great start. Nice work!  ^_^

Thank you! I also forgot to put in a door there, haha. cx I'll definitely make sure to add the door next time, it does make the map look a little wierd. cx I appreciate the feedback!<3

Same here, it looks really good, especially with the lighting effects. The only issue I have with it is that the bed is facing away from the TV. Seems kind of redundant, maybe it is just me.

Ah, I guess it does look a bit funny when you point it out. My bed and tv in my room are similar, and I usually watch tv from the opposite side of my bed. But I suppose it doesn't look quite right in Rpg Maker cx Next time I'll probably put the TV in front of the couch or across from the bed, instead. Thank you for the feedback!<3

Those look great! ^_^

To get rid of things becoming blurry when you resize it, try this:

qWOr11d.jpg

Those look great! ^_^

To get rid of things becoming blurry when you resize it, try this:

qWOr11d.jpg

Oh wow! I had no idea, thank you so much! This will help out a lot  :)

I have to say it looks fantastic. The way you blended the things together and added in those subtle light effects really brings out the picture. And the clutter is very nice. As stated above it really breaks apart the empty spaces in the room. And the slanted wall is also a really nice touch. I was going to say something about the door but after reading though the thread saw that you mentioned you forgot to add it. Trust me I have done that numerous times lol. I wish I can parallax indoor maps like this. Unfortunately I find it easier for me to parallax outdoor maps and not indoor ones lol. But overall I think this is totally going in the right direction. Keep up the good work. :)

I have to say it looks fantastic. The way you blended the things together and added in those subtle light effects really brings out the picture. And the clutter is very nice. As stated above it really breaks apart the empty spaces in the room. And the slanted wall is also a really nice touch. I was going to say something about the door but after reading though the thread saw that you mentioned you forgot to add it. Trust me I have done that numerous times lol. I wish I can parallax indoor maps like this. Unfortunately I find it easier for me to parallax outdoor maps and not indoor ones lol. But overall I think this is totally going in the right direction. Keep up the good work. :)

Thank you! I can't wait to get started on some more parallax practice as well, now that I've got some great feedback to incorporate!<3 I'll do my best not to forget the door this time, haha xD

It's a great map! Heaven knows I wasn't that good when I started parallaxing (er...3 months ago). The room looks a tad dim, but that makes sense with only one window. (However, if that door wasn't there, and there were windows in the adjacent room, then a soft light from the hallway would be great for ambiance!) :)

If you wouldn't mind. Could you please go through the steps of how you parallax mapped an interior room? They don't have to be extensive, at all. It's just that I can't find any tutorials or help threads on interior parallax mapping, only exterior parallax mapping. I'm new to it myself. 

Hey Jalice

Nice start with the map. I think the details really make all the difference. You have some great ideas going on here.

I just wanted to point out a few things that you might want to consider in terms of space utilization and interior design. Some of these things are a bit picky, but I thought I would share some feed back to help improve the "realism" of your great map =D

1. Edges/Trim of Red Carpet:

You may want to shift click portions of the carpet so that the black design of the trim doesn't show at the bottom of the map. I assume the trimming would be at the end of the carpeting. Because you have tables on the lower wall that show there is more floor hidden by the wall, the trimming shouldn't be visible there.

2. Wooden Plank Flooring:

I really like the variation in flooring that this provides but in terms of interior the size/placement of it doesn't make sense. The wooden floor should either be centered on the large window (currently the window is slightly left of center) or the flooring should encompass the size of a complete "space" within the room. Namely, the flooring should encompass the entirety of the couch/bookcase area. 

3. Placement of TV:

As mentioned before, the TV is placed in such a way that it can't be viewed comfortably while sitting/laying on any furniture in the room.

4. Placement of Desk:

There is a desk with a beige picture behind it that sticks out on both sides of the wall. In terms of design that would be an unlikely choice for its placement. It blocks access to the dressers behind it to the left and juts out to the right, where someone walking it from the door could walk into it.

5. Placement of Floor Lamps:

Both the floor lamps in the room are placed in the middle of the floor. These are usually a bit less conspicuously placed in corners. The one behind the couch is alright, but is somewhat a bit closer to the line of the door (someone would possibly run into it) the other one in the lower left corner is in the middle of that space and blocking off the dressers completely.

6. Details on the Back Wall:

The clock should be raised and the fan slightly lowered. Both these items are placed in front of the moldings on the wall causing them to seem like they a bit out of place. Moving them to fit entirely on the wallpapered portion of the wall would give it a better sense of actually being on the wall.

Sorry that was alot more than I intended to put. The map is looking great even without any of these things, but just wanted to offer some ideas. Keep up the great work!

~ Dinhbat

Edited by dinhbat3