17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

BRAINSTORM_zpsf064b996.png

Every RPG with active skills has a method of learning them. Some games you just learn them as you go.
Sometimes you can level up your skills to improve them. Some games have a Skill Tree and Skill Points.

The list can go on and on, but today, that is exactly what I want.

I am currently developing a game, but I am unhappy with how my characters learn skills. I'd like you, the
community's help to expand my mind and see what exactly I could do about this.

I also hope that this thread will help others too. If this thread can document 10s or even 100s of ways character
growth/skills can be managed, then I will be extremely pleased.

Moving along. I have given Job Points (currency that buys skills essentially) the most thought, however it
encounters a common problem that most skill management systems encounter. In the end, grinding is
the solution to getting many skills, or at least certain skills when you really need them.

This isn't really a problem for a lot of games, but I am aiming for a goal here. It's enough that grinding
will level up your character, and the stat improvements that occur are enough to help make something
easier that the player was having a hard time with. However, I don't think skills should follow this trend.
At the same time though, I don't believe that the skill learning system should be something that
irritates the player because of the restrictions placed upon it. The last thing a game should to is
legitimately frustrate the player.

What can I do to make a player rely more on their acquired skills, both in game, and from player experience,
than just grind when they can't beat something on their first couple of attempts?

Edited by Atleast6char

My fave one is skill trees / skill point. It give you a bit spoiler and decision (I like decision) to expand which skills you gonna take. There're many ways to counter your balancing problem. But I need to know, is your game is solo player for entire game? Or it has party members?

It's pretty easy if it has party members. You could make your party consist tanker, damage dealer, support, and such. And make the skill tree relevant to their role. Whatever player takes the skill, it should have no problem. But, I don't really know about solo player.

About the grinding, I believe it just a player choice. Some player just like to grind more to get better character / make it easier. Other player just want to finish the game without grind to much. If you insist to restrict player to grind, just put an anti grinding system. Basically, you put level up restriction in every stage. So, the learned skill will be limited as well until you advance to the next stage / level.

I liked what you had to say.

FYI, my game is a has Party, so multiple characters.

I guess you are right that grinding is the choice of the player, and like I said in my post, I don't want to inconvenience the player and frustrate them. I already have some anti grinding things implemented into the game, and I think maybe that is enough... In the first Arc of the game, you cannot surpass level 50, and in the second Arc, you have 2 classes on most characters that require leveling. Leveling just one of them will ensure you have high stats, but you will be missing out on worth-while skills if you don't take both routes.

Anyways, thanks for replying. I am still interested to hear what some people have to say on this matter, and I am still unhappy with the skill learning system I have right now, so I will wait and see what everyone has to say.

Edited by Atleast6char

Level up is a good feeling so don't restrict player from get too high level.

But what you should do here that make them depend on equipments more than basic stats.

Let say a Knight at Lv1 has ATK = 5

at Lv2 he has ATK = 6

at Lv99 he has ATK = 57

and a sword is called "Dragon's Blood" has ATK = 500

So even a max Lv knight can't match a Lv10 knight with a full set of some legend equipments.

This will make players want to get not only level up but the most rare equipments too.

They even will search for every corners, every copse to find a legend weapon and that is exactly

what we want. Skill has its own role for keeping interest players.

Each skill must unique and has some tricks inside, do you think so :/

The restriction is only in the first Arc of the story, and if you have been level 50 for a while before reaching the second arc, then you really went out of your way to grind, because the first arc final boss has a level 41~45 level expectancy range. It wouldn't be too usual for you to reach him anywhere between 39~42 or so. Of course I can't predict this indefinitely, because there are just so many variables. But trust me, I have several reasons and needs for the level cap in the first arc, and not just because I dislike grinding. It's is important to character growth and even the story.

Moving on. I actually have another game in the works that is using your advice about equipment vs. player stats (not so much to that extent though). That game is currently on hiatus right now and probably won't be resumed until the completion of Tainted; my current game. Despite this, I have another tactic to make weapons largely important in Tainted. Not only do they boost your stats, but every piece of equipment comes with skills, which multiply their values greatly. Later in the game you'll be able to craft weapons that will have the same name of equipment you can buy, but instead of being stronger stat-wise, all the skills on the weapon are improved.

Example:

Bought
Sacred Sabre (Sword)
Atk: +60 | Mat: +20 | Crt: +9%
[Atk Speed Lv.2] +25
[Counter Lv.2] 12%

Crafted

Sacred Sabre (Sword)
Atk: +60 | Mat: +20 | Crt: +9%
[Atk Speed Lv.3] +50
[Counter Lv.3] 16%
[Divine Strike]

And I strongly agree with skills serving particular purposes for certain situations. I give every character a bit of variety, but the true variety comes from character to character.

Thank you for posting, and for your concern and enlightening advice. :)

Edited by Atleast6char

Hm... Skills come with each piece of equipments is a good idea.

Although that mean you have to do a lots work for that.

Say you have 20 legend sets, each of them include helmet, weapon, armor, accessory

so you need 20x4 = 80 skill for them :D it's similar for animation sheets - this is the real challenge!

I suggest every skills must be unique, not repeatedly. It has reflect its master personality

By the way, when can i play your Tainted game?

Hm... Skills come with each piece of equipments is a good idea.

Although that mean you have to do a lots work for that.

Say you have 20 legend sets, each of them include helmet, weapon, armor, accessory

so you need 20x4 = 80 skill for them :D it's similar for animation sheets - this is the real challenge!

I suggest every skills must be unique, not repeatedly. It has reflect its master personality

By the way, when can i play your Tainted game?

I have 250 Armor skills exactly in Tainted, and the equipment works like this...

Weapon (up to 3 skills)

Weapons2/Shield (Up to 3 skills. if a Shield, 1 skill is always Guard Rate).

Helm/Hate (Upto 2 Skills)

Armor (Upto 3 Skills)

Accessory x 2 (Each has 1 Skill on it).

If you are interested in playing Tainted, just click on the banner in my signature to go straight to Tainted's topic page.

Thanks for taking the to post here!

I prefer to learn skill as I go, but with some restriction like, when I am leveled up to certain level and that time my atk stat (effect from weapon is included) is above some numbers, I learned this skill. Yeah like that, but I know, this system perfectly fits only if I can distribute stat freely (stat point system).

Put all the skills at level 1...but make the skills have requirements that you can only unlock while you level up. For example, the spells require a certain MP and TP that is impossible to achieve at Level 1.

My game has 4 general skill types with each being learned or mastered in a different way.

(All actors can learn all but a few noted skills.)

Weapon Skills are usable via specific weapon equips and are learned via skill points.

Magic skills are learned by purchasing or finding the spells and applying them to specific actors.  Once learned, they can be used whenever but with a catch!

Actors have Magic levels and if their level is too low, the spell has a chance to Fizzle which will produce a weaker or off effect version of the spell.

(Magic levels can be raised via skill points as well.)

Focus Skills are actor specific skills that are gain throughout the story-line.

These skills are generally the ones that will best differentiate actors, as they can all learn all of the other skills.

Guard Skills are defensive skills.

They are learned via specific combination of weapon equips.

My game features dual weapon wielding and the different combinations of weapons each give a unique Guard Skill.

An actor can only have one Guard Skill at a time. (They forget the old skill once they change equipment.)

There are also weapon specific skills but these are basically weapon based effects and so I technically do not consider them skills.

So yeah, I have many different ways of learning skills in my game and hopefully each will be appreciated.

You guys are all amazing and have great ideas! Thanks so much!

Right now I'm mulling over learning skills by meeting different stat requirement. It may be very interesting when each character has multiple classes to pursue that level up a little differently.

Anyways, if you can think of something else, don't be afraid to put it here. Others will be able to look here and get the same help I'm getting.