I posted this jokingly in a status on here and am really considering doing this in the future. The issue is that I don't want it to be too cliche'd 

"An RPG Maker game where the main character is a female neko who is kinda stereotypical but acts like a cat for comedy purposes. She learns how to act like a human by being trained somehow to be a better human. It'd be similar to Meowth's story in the Pokemon anime"

I can use RenPy to do a VN, but I really figured I'd rather do an RPG game with her somehow... The thing is that I'd want it to be free from too many cliches in RPGs and stuff.  I can just picture her story and stuff in my head now..

- A neko female warrior who resides in a village where nekos live. Well, it's one of the places with nekos.. They are the mass of the world. 

- Youkai, hanyou, and other Japanese monsters reside in a hidden land sealed away for [x amount of years] which they were set free by the big bad of the game. 

- Big bads reasoning for doing this could be discussed in this thread. I'd want it to be original as much as possible.Maybe he/she just did it out of spite? Maybe just because? Some other reason?

- Other party members from the neko warriors village would join her to help stop big bad and fight other bosses in dungeons. 

- This game would be similar to Legend of Zelda in terms of dungeoning. It'd have somewhat easy puzzles for the player to solve, then get a bit harder. (maybe allow an option for the player to do a easy or hard mode before the game starts?) If there's a script to allow easy ways to add puzzles, that'd be cool.

I guess I wanna ask you guys what would make this game not be too cliche'd? Any sorta suggestions and stuff are welcome.

Well, if you want to avoid cliche, one way is to change the setting. Imagine if the neko girl finds herself deposited in 1920's Berlin, and works in a cabaret? Or it all takes place on Io, violent and horrible moon of Jupiter? You can take any character and immediately make their story new and wierd by plopping them somewhere different!

Well, if you want to avoid cliche, one way is to change the setting. Imagine if the neko girl finds herself deposited in 1920's Berlin, and works in a cabaret? Or it all takes place on Io, violent and horrible moon of Jupiter? You can take any character and immediately make their story new and wierd by plopping them somewhere different!

Avoiding cliche is sorta easy to do. 

I dunno if it'd really harm it if it was still cliche'd, but not as bad.

Cliches aren't bad, so long as they are used correctly. It's REALLY hard to get 100% original content, and cliches tend to exist because of that fact.

As far as your Big Bad goes, I would highly suggest just making him a person.

Was he slighted by one of the characters? Does he have a reason to go against the Main Character?

If you want him to be "Evil for the sake of evil," look into mental disorders. A sociopath may be what you're looking for.

Perhaps build up the Big Bad to be this huge, awful, evil person trying to control armies to destroy the world, but it turns out to be this sickly dude who wanted to be on equal footing with everyone else.

Neko is a trope

Female Warior is a trope

From a village is a trope

From a hidden village is a trope

Demons live in a different dimension/plane/hidden land is a trope

Demons being sealed away is a trope

Big Bad is a trope

Big Bag breaking the seal to release demons is a reversal of a trope (standard trope is that minions break the seal to release the big bad)

Dungeons and Puzzles are tropes

Increasing difficulty as the game progresses is a trope

All heroes in the party of the same race is a trope

All heroes except one from the same race is a trope

Only one member of each race in the Hero Party is a trope

Collecting party members is as much a trope as starting out with a completed party

Solo adventure is a trope

Whatever you might come up with, it has been done in one way or another already

There is no such thing as an original story

There are in fact only 7 stories in all of storytelling history, everything else is a variation of those seven

There is a trope for everything. Only if the trope is over-used or badly used does it become cliche.

Doing the opposite or modified form of a trope still is the trope, just in reversed/parodied/double-reversed/averted/etc.... form

Bottom Line

--------------------

If a trope is good or bad depends on how you use it.  Stories can fail because the writer tried too hard to avoid using tropes.

Don't worry about avoiding or using tropes. Tropes are tropes because they are proven to work in good stories.

But like with any craft, no matter how good the tools are, if used wrong, the result will be rubbish.

Just as a good craftsman can make great items with rubbish tools, a good writer can make a great story with common tropes.

Write the story in the way that sounds good and exciting to YOU.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TropesAreTools

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BadWritingIndex

http://www.businessinsider.com/stephen-king-on-how-to-write-2014-7

http://jrients.blogspot.ca/2011/04/twenty-quick-questions-for-your.html

http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2012/02/22/henry-miller-on-writing/

http://www.writingclasses.com/InformationPages/index.php/PageID/538

http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2012/03/12/john-steinbeck-six-tips-on-writing/

As to reasons for the Big Bad releasing the demons, there are many possibilities:

1) He wants their favors to gain personal power and riches/fame

2) He wants vengeance for an offense (real or perceived)

3) He believes he is doing something good and it goes wrong

4) The demons are actually not evil, but evil tyrants have sealed them away in a racial discrimination campaign, the Big Bad is putting things right, but the Demons want vengeance (or not)

5) Some people just want to see the world burn...Some people want to be the ones responsible for the world burning

6) A loved one of the Big Bad is on the other side of that seal and he will not rest until he has freed her/him, no matter how many evils he releases onto the world in the process

7) Scientific Curiosity, just wanted to see what happens

8) .........

9) ..............

....)..................

The moon of Jupiter setting is actually a cliche in itself, know as something like "X... IN SPACE!" where you take some reasonably-known story, and just make it IN SPACE! so that it looks and feels different, but actually is just the same story with the setting changed.

Since it's impossible to avoid cliches, my advice would actually be to use A LOT of them. That is, the best way to avoid a cliched game is to use various cliches inspired and adapted from so many different sources, that your COMBINATION of cliches is something new and original. This is pretty much how must "un-cliched" work is produced. Not by AVOIDING cliches, but by combining and using them in a way which has never been done before.

Now I want to see 1920's German cabaret nekos too.

Edited by Shi-an

Well, people seem to be kind of picky about what tropes you'd like to use in your game. Yes, I understand everything I typed out is a trope, and I'm willing to accept it. I just wanna make a fun, yet somewhat short length game for people to play and enjoy. 

I'm not trying to go all out there and make an AAA RPG game, of course. I honestly wouldn't detest using the default resources but I got that DLC in the Humble Bundle which could help some too.

I as a writer and person DO not care if a trope is "overrated/overdone" since I think as long as it's told differently it could work out.

Kilravok beat me to it; I was going to post some of the info about the tropes and at least a link to tvtropes.org (though I admit I would've only mentioned one or two examples).

I also mentioned in the FETCHQUEST thread that I wouldn't mind so much playing a game with cliches, as long as the game/maker is honest about it from the beginning, and I'd include tropes in that; that way I could relax about the oncoming cliche occurences, and even enjoy some of them when done well, instead of noticing them so much if I wasn't aware beforehand.

(At this point discussing cliches and tropes, I'm tempted to ask where I could find the most cliche'd trope-laden example of a game, and try to play it for comparison. But again, I have no problem if a game resorts to one, or two, or a hundred -- okay, maybe not that much. Haha.)

But, back to the OP. Being that you mention the focus being a "neko warrior village", does this mean you are going by what "neko culture" is as defined elsewhere, or redefining it so it fits in with your game concept? I'd first admit I'm not a fanatic follower of what a "neko" might mean, or even entirely conversant with all the genre and subgenre from anime, cosplay, fetishes, et cetera. The closest I come to "understanding" what is "neko-dom" is perhaps watching the anime series Omamori Himari (does the scene where Himari is in the cafe in a maid's uniform and with her ears up make her NekoMimi Maid Mode? lol).

A lot of what I'd like to say has already been said by others so far, maybe not exactly the way I would've put, but I digress.

My personal opinion of exactly what a cliche is; is actually a union of 2 things occurring, one after another.

The first the event. What occurs, whether it is done by a person, a thing or it simply just happened... whether is was something said, done or thought, is the beginning of the cliche, given that the event it's is perceived as such by the viewer.

The second is the response. How someone/people/things respond to the before mention event. This can both complete or destroy the cliche being sowed.

I'll give you an example. Both will end in very similar ways (Despondence between the characters).

Scene: Someone trying to confess their love in a typical RPG or even Anime setting.
Girl: I-I.... I love you
Boy: Pardon? Sorry I couldn't hear you
Girl: I-... *sigh* it was nothing.
Boy: Oh, alright.
Girl: Idiot...
Boy: Hmm? I swear you are saying something.
Girl: No, not at all. (God I hate when things like this happen, with a passion!)

Lets try again with while trying to abolish the cliche.
Girl: I-I.... I love you

Boy: ...I...I know.
Girl: ...You... knew? Then-
Boy: I can't. I cannot be with you.
Girl: W-why?!
Boy: Look
at where we are! Looking at the things we fight on a day to day basis! We could die at any given moment!
*sigh* I'm sorry. I appreciate your feeling, I really do, but I can't have another regret hang over my shoulders if something
happens to you... or even me. The world is hinging on a thread, and we are that thread, and just the same, we can easily
be severed. But you know what happens if we become intimate? People who seek to do us harm will take that information
and run with it. They'll use it against us, toy with our feelings, until it becomes a choice of either you, or me.
Girl: I get it... you can stop now.
Boy: ...Hey... listen. I'm s-
Girl: Don't... just don't. What you said makes sense... it's just not what I wanted to hear.
Boy: ...
Girl: Let's go. I don't want to be here any longer...
Boy: ...

A lot more interesting right? As it was mentioned before, by other comments, cliches are not all bad. I, in particular like using what we know about cliches against the player. I make something appear a certain way, and they lower their expectation because they believe they know the end result, as depicted by the usual cliche. When I do something that breaks the cliche, that lost expectation comes back as intrigue and anticipation. The change doesn't even have to be the opposite of what the cliche is supposed to be, you just have to alter the emotion response of someone slightly to get a whole different tale.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Atleast6char

I wanna make the Neko sprites O_O

I had some funny ideas that suddenly pops out of my mind xD they are unoriginal by the way xD

(The big bad enemy is a neko that kills all his own clanmates for the sake of his brother and joins a group called Catatsuki)

(The big bad enemy is a neko turns evil that uses his very long sword called Nekomune to bring destruction upon the world using a giant meteor)

(The big bad enemy is a neko that suddenly appeared outside the 50 meter walls of your MCs city/town. The neko is really big and was called Colossal Neko. Only the chosen Neko warriors with Cat Maneuver Gears can defeat the colossal neko by aiming ots weakspot, the back of their necks)

XD

for starter... Big Bad could be actually a physically "small" person/neko with big ego that have huge army.

then don't make the main character just your original Neko that later become hero. make her a villain in her society (wanted burglar/murderer or something).

villain to hero already used too but at least not as much as regular person turn to hero. and today trends love badass hero. :D.

since it's neko... don't use "demon". but use DOGS as the enemy. :D.

also... start with an army of members at the start. (lead whole army). then lots of that member dies except main hero neko (some scattered in the world and distrust main hero leadership. but we can recruit it again after convising them that the lost war because of traitor for example...). then gather new member from scratch to fight the small Big Bad. :D.

I am not sure I would go with Dogs as being the natural enemy of Neko in this case.....I'm almost certain that the OP does not refer to Neko as normal cats but more like Nekomusune, which itself in real world japan is a type of Youkai.  A fitting enemy type would be Inugamy (Dog type), Tanuki (Racoondog type), Kitzune (Fox type), Hebi (snake type) and Tsuchigumo (Spider type) as animal aspect people/demons.  Inanimated items, possessed by demons (Tsukumogami) exist in many different forms as well: Biwa-Bokuboku (Lute) and Mokumokuren (Paperscreen) being only two popular examples.  and lets not forget Oni (Ogre) and Tengu (Goblin) along with a plentitude of deforming human types (ranging from Rokuro-Kubi to Tofu Kozo) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y%C5%8Dkai).

Nekomusume is not to be mistaken for a Bakeneko, which is a cat-shaped demonic cat that behaves like a normal cat with an attitude, often recognisable by the multiple tails.

If the OP means the normal cat types or Bakeneko, then Dogs (Inu) would fit as possible enemies (with rats (Nezume)  being lesser minions and Wolves (Haken) being bosses maybe?)

Avoiding the cliche Neko pop-culture, I would go with the Kilrathi type cats from the Wing Comander series, rather than the cute catgirl type, at least culturewise...not cute and silly and romantic, but warriorlike, no-nonsense, meaning business, rough and ready..........for looks, I'd have no problems with Nekomimi.

I wanna make the Neko sprites O_O

I had some funny ideas that suddenly pops out of my mind xD they are unoriginal by the way xD

(The big bad enemy is a neko that kills all his own clanmates for the sake of his brother and joins a group called Catatsuki)

(The big bad enemy is a neko turns evil that uses his very long sword called Nekomune to bring destruction upon the world using a giant meteor)

(The big bad enemy is a neko that suddenly appeared outside the 50 meter walls of your MCs city/town. The neko is really big and was called Colossal Neko. Only the chosen Neko warriors with Cat Maneuver Gears can defeat the colossal neko by aiming ots weakspot, the back of their necks)

XD

I'd have to like sort through different designs for each playable neko character and how he or she would look first. lol

for starter... Big Bad could be actually a physically "small" person/neko with big ego that have huge army.

then don't make the main character just your original Neko that later become hero. make her a villain in her society (wanted burglar/murderer or something).

villain to hero already used too but at least not as much as regular person turn to hero. and today trends love badass hero. :D.

since it's neko... don't use "demon". but use DOGS as the enemy. :D.

also... start with an army of members at the start. (lead whole army). then lots of that member dies except main hero neko (some scattered in the world and distrust main hero leadership. but we can recruit it again after convising them that the lost war because of traitor for example...). then gather new member from scratch to fight the small Big Bad. :D.

Hmm.. Yes, that wouldn't be a bad idea. Maybe that scene could be scripted or something to a point where the player takes over fighting a small leftover enemy. 

Also, the dogs vs cats thing.. Hahaha I was considering that, but I just think it'd be cool to have demons vs nekos since I've rarely seen it done. 

Kilravok, I was considering just adding every single Japanese creature (well almost) to the game as folks you'd fight against. I would likely get better with RPG Maker vX Ace first before doing a loong game. I have been watching guides on YT and the Internet 

Maybe there'd be like a bigger Oni out of the smaller ones as a boss in a dungeon. I am picturing a lot of things in my mind and wanna write 'em down. 

But you guys bring up more valid points to me cause I was originally just plotting random storylines for an RPG in my head. It doesn't have to be cliche'd to hell is all that I'd want out of an RPG.  The example you gave was good enough and is what I'd be aiming for.

Thanks again for all the theory and development help. I wouldn't have thought about anything this deeply to be honest. I am not the worlds best writer, but I do know better than to make a sloppy story or character development. 

I'm about...average at the plot.

Basically the plot starts out with the MCs 13th birthday. This is the day that most people are considered 'grown up' enough to go outside of the village walls. Well, one of the MCs friends is 14 and she has a year ahead of her. Another character serves as the eldest of the two and is going to be labeled the games help guide but she'd be helping the characters in universe with what to do.. She'd basically say what dungeon you need to go to and what the boss' type is. One of the bosses will be a sand snake / demon, another possibly a fire demon, and the final one being a mixture of the two... I am not sure if I'd want to base it on Japanese folklore since I know nothing about it on a decent level to write on it. 

The game isn't going to be long. It'd be around..2-4 hours or so. I'd just want a few dungeons, following the big bad of the game. 

Tropes and cliche's aren't even really bad things, only when they're obvious and in the open is when they're annoying. As long as the tropes make since in the context of the world and feel natural then they're fine.

Tropes and cliche's aren't even really bad things, only when they're obvious and in the open is when they're annoying. As long as the tropes make since in the context of the world and feel natural then they're fine.

I knew they weren't bad things. I just hope people won't dislike the game for having some tropes in it or cliches.