Sign in to follow this  
Chigger

Shin Megami Tensei: The Reborn Word - ACE Edition

Game_zps2ab9ebb9.png

Note that Shin Megami Tensei is owned by ATLUS. I Take No Credit or Profit for ATLUS owned materials used in this FANGAME.

This is an enhanced version of a game I made under the original vx, remade in ace.

Changes Include:

1. A new side story added with demon recruitment.
2. Alignment system and 2 alternate endings added. Original extended. Various dialogue changes.
3. Most maps have more detail. More non RTP content used.
4. Optional limited save mode for classic feel.
5. Balance tweaks to make the game a little more challenging.
6. New sound effects added.
7. Phys skills are now have weapon based affinity.
8. Karn spells now work as intended(reflect). Tetraja(insta death null) added.
9. Different HUD and battle interface used.
10. Various left over bug fixes and text errors fixed.

Story:

It has been 50 years since the great destruction brought
by the nuclear strikes. Despite the catastrophic damage
and death, mankind has somehow managed to survive.
After the war between the forces of Law and Chaos, one
hero managed to unify the survivors and bring balance to
Japan. The survivors finally began to rebuild. However, all
was not well. The demons were still a threat to humanity.
Japan's new found prosperity also caught they eye of other
surviving nations. The European Federation and New
Soviet Union, both had their eyes on Japan and its
resources.
7 Years ago, the hero was killed while fighting the demons.
All priorities were then focused on finding a replacement
leader. However, no one could agree on who should lead
and soon Japan fell into a state of pseudo feudalism, with the hero's
former subordinates becoming warlords, fighting for power and
territory.
The Federation took advantage of the chaos, and launched
an invasion of Japan's mainland. While the Federation was
busy with this, the Soviets captured the smaller islands.
The Federation then offered regional lords some autonomy
in exchange for driving the Soviets from the islands. In
just one month Japan was conquered by the Federation.
With most of its troops fighting the Soviets in Europe, and
the rest keeping Japan under its rule, the Federation
gave the warlords the task of keeping the demons under
control and recovering pre destruction technology. Rather
than risk their own resources on these tasks, the
lords created new mercenary groups to do the work for
them. These were called hunter clans.
Recently, the Federation began hearing rumors of an
artifact that could grant its user powers that could rival
God or Lucifer. The Federation ordered the lord of Okinawa
to begin searching for this artifact.
Unconcerned with the demands of the Federation, lord
Takuya gave the job to several freelancers, whom recently
left the Black Cat clan. Their search has led them to a a
small island cave off the south shore of Okinawa.....

Setting:

the game will take place between the original smt and stmt 2, and will take place in the wastelands of Okinawa. Knowledge of these games is not required. The story will fallow a group of freelance Hunters, who merge with a dysfunctional hunter clan. The new side story will feature the ability to recruit demons, and add them to the party. Both stories will feature fights between demons and other survivors. Dungeons will take place in both natural formations, such as caves, and ruined buildings and other man made structures.

Game time:
Around 20 hours. The new side story is about 4-6.

Characters:

h_zps4b4339db.png

Haruka Rotama:
Alignment: ???
Origin: Japan Mainland

A former member of the Black Cat clan. She left along with Joshiro and Yin after an internal dispute. Haruka is skilled with curative magic and has considerable experience for her age. Haruka is a bit of a wild card, sometimes thoughtful and understanding, and at others belligerent and hot headed. Currently working freelance while trying to find what she really wants. Working on the mainland as a freelancer proved to be a very tough competition, so she set off to Okinawa to find work. After a chance meeting with lord Takuya who offered her a job she could not refuse, she unkowingly set out for her toughest job yet.

j.png
Joshiro Niwa:
Alignment: Law

A former member of the Black Cat clan. He left along with Haruka and Yin after an internal dispute.
Joshiro Is the heavy armor of the team and attacks with close range weapons. Hot headed, he tends to act with out thinking. Joshiro has been working with Yin for several years now and with Haruka for about a year. Currently he is working freelance. Joshiro was starting to get bored from the dull jobs they were receiving as freelancers but meeting lord Takuya has sparked his interest in the rumors floating around about the artifact the Federation is trying to find. Joshiro is one of the few who believes the rumors of the godly artifact.

y.png
Yin Yano:

A former member of the Black Cat clan. He left along with Haruka and Joshiro after an internal dispute. Yin is a Gunman who prefers to use assault weapons like shotguns and machine guns. Unlike Haruka and Joshiro, He is bitter about leaving the Black Cats but keeps his feelings bottled up. Currently working freelance while looking for other opportunities. Yin has taken an interest in the Federation and once considered joining them. Yin is suspicious of lord Takuya and doubtful about the job he has been given. The only reason he even accepted was because he badly needed the money.

c.png
Sunanomi:
Alignment: Neutral
Origin: Unknown, believed to be European or American.

A member of the Red Earth clan. Sunanomi is a skilled marksman capable of using both normal ammunition and elemental charged rounds. He was found injured by Kio and Lelu and was recruited shortly after. He has no memories prior to being found. Dasu starting calling him Sunanomi for no reason and the name just stuck. Sunanomi rarely trusts others and most people outside of Red Earth see him as cold and unfriendly but he is fiercely protective of the few he does trust. Completely shocking Dasu and Connor, he decided to trust Haruka shortly after meting her during the island expedition and is in favor of joining forces with her team.

d.png
Dasu Hiraga:
Alignment: Chaos
Origin: Okinawa

A member of the Red Earth clan. Dasu is Red Earth's offensive mage. Like Sunanomi he is often seen as unsocialible and cold. Selfish and arrogant, he tends to drive people away and as a result doesn't have many friends. The only people he answers to are Kio and Lelu. While his ego is extreme, it is not with out merit as he has won several competitions and awards in the arena with his magic. Dasu also has a problem controlling himself around women. If he isn't fruitlessly hitting on girls, he generally trains his demonic magic in his free time when he isn't bickering with Sunanomi or Connor.

kiof_zpsad71f348.png
Kio Raikatuji:

Leader of the Red Earth clan. A former follower of the Gaian faith, he later gave it up after meeting Lelu and has been a working soldier ever since. While he tends to be fair, he does get tired of Dasu picking fights all the time.

lelf_zps6df3e7a8.png
Lelu Sekigawa:

Second in command of the Red Earth clan. A former Messian, she gave up her position after meeting Kio in a skirmish between the two factions. Fast and nimble, Lelu is the scout of the group and has saved them from ambushes on several occasions.

con_zpse114a421.png
Connor Mackey:
Origin: Europe

A member of the Red Earth clan. Connor is the information gatherer and negotiator of the group. He came from Europe hoping Japan would be more peaceful. Connor is generally easy going but has a short temper when dealing with Dasu or people with
Authority who abuse their power.

x.png
Xia Fong:
Origin: China

A member of the Red Earth clan. Xia is the groups doctor. She came from china to find work as a doctor and to get away from the chaos in China after the New Soviet Union took over. She joined Red Earth as a means to get her foot in the door. She is the only person Dasu doesn't fight with apart from Kio and Lelu.

Nekomata????
Origin: ????

A demon?

Screenshots

ss1_zpsfb5e1f91.png

ss2_zps2bbd41ee.png

ss3_zpsbbe98cc2.png

ss4_zps8594aa35.png

ss5_zpsa24b13b4.png

ss6_zps29002fbb.png

ss14_zpsf06d47bb.png

ss7_zpsb9f06906.png

ss8_zpsc18a4f8f.png

ss10_zps8b0f2ac6.png

ss9_zpsce928b8b.png

ss13_zps5c1cd7d6.png

ss12_zpsc1761075.png

ss11_zpse56df1f0.png

ss15_zps1bce7208.png

ss16_zps9ab0e444.png

ss17_zps7f498683.png

ss20_zpsfaacccaf.png

ss18_zps569b291b.png

ss19_zpsdc9eb54e.png

Download:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/jbwkm3masqf3jzl/SMTRWACE.exe

Credit:

Custom Scripts Used:  
Yanfly Ace Battle Engine & party system.
KMS Minimap
Awesome Light Effects by Khas
Word Wrapping Message Boxes by KilloZapit.
Monster Hunter by Tsukihime

Resources Used:
IceDragon, Soruve, & nicnubill modern tiles sets
Avadan & SirCamelot future soldiers and robot
~Qtpi's kids
simonboxer background

RedxWhirlwind Faries

resources taken from smt games owned by ATLUS

Other custom chars and faces made with:
CharCreator, FaceMaker, Famitsu Char generator.
Another face maker that I'm not sure who to credit

Kuzunoha faces take from the anime's they were based on.

Neko face taken from Disgaea 4

Edited by Chigger

I haven't played this, but judging from the screenshots there is a huge disparity in graphics. This can't be helped so much with demons in battle (unless you were to remake them all yourself but that's a huge undertaking, so somewhat understandable) but the face portraits are largely inconsistent and it's strange that you'd use Teddie's graphic and call him Theo. Especially when he's a character IN the Shin Megami Tensei series, or at least associated heavily with it depending on your view of the Persona series.

As a fan of the series I'll probably give this a look and maybe more in-depth thoughts on the game but for now the graphical inconsistency is something you should keep in mind.

graphic wise, I had to work with what I could find, as that is not my forte. This was also a 1 man project. I had 2 different face makers since one of them made decent male faces but bad females, and the other was the opposite(i hate the ace facemaker). The teddie face was intentional

and between that and the dialogue with him, was to suggest that it might be the same teddie from p4. He isn't human after all. I tried to be a bit vague but that's not really something I do well.

More of the "mainline" SMT games tend to have demons that the Persona games may not include, but here's a pack of every demon (at least I believe so) from Persona 3.

http://www.spriters-resource.com/playstation_2/persona3/sheet/44440/

It may or may not be useful to you but just in case I thought I'd show you.

I think I'll try out your game later today.

Same site I got the Devil summoner and soul hacker sprites from. Not sure how I missed it, but I might use those for part 2. Let me know what you think if you decide to give the game a try.

Okay, here's some feedback on the demo:

In the introduction there is a string of text-boxes that tell the backstory for the game. Obviously, this can be tough to keep interesting, but one thing I would recommend is having the image in the background change, as the topics of the Information changes. Sort of how SMT: Strange Journey (for the DS) does during its intro. Just a tip.

The intro music loops annoyingly, even through the cutscene. I also don't think the music itself is very fitting for the instance its being used.

The first dungeon is pretty boring, although for the most part the older SMT games are primarily dungeon crawlers, the hook to them is that you can have demon conversations. So, without being able to talk to demons or recruit them, it just feels dry. The characters themselves just feel very fake and that hurts storytelling, as in, I get bored reading what the characters are saying. I made it to the first town and decided to take a break for now, it was only around 20 minutes and it is a bit late right now. I'll possibly play a bit more later on. Along with that, the mapping is a bit clunky, especially the World Map, and the clashing face graphics aren't very appealing.

I'm assuming the whole demon conversation part is an engine limitation problem, which I can understand. However, trying to create a Shin Megami Tensei game without demon fusion, summoning or conversations really isn't SMT. The narrative in the game is not all that great, so without these features it comes off as a fairly dry dungeon crawler. That sounds a bit harsh, especially coming from someone who only played 20 minutes of the game, but unless some drastic twist comes up soon, I don't see the game improving from my first impression.

Looking back the first 3 or so dungeons are pretty weak. I just did not have time to go back and completely redo them with all the other things i had to deal with in the ace version. And yeah, engine limitations are why there are no demon conversations, and I can't see anyone making that kind of script. Like I said in a previous post, I could not find a decent face maker that made good male and female faces (getting very little feedback from the original version didn't help either). I didn't think it would be that distracting, but I guess I'm less picky about that. I'll keep the bit about the introduction in mind though.

Edit: The side story has demon recruitment but because of said limitations, it's closer to pokemon....

Edited by Chigger

So I noticed that a new RPG maker is coming out with some nice new features and I'm kinda thinking about giving game creation one more shot. I already accepted that this game isn't very good, so I'm considering making something brand new when the new engine comes out. At the same time I also don't really want to just throw away what I have already done so my question is this:

Would it be better to

1 Make a sequal with the new engine and try to improve what i did wrong. (or remake this one from the ground up).

2 Make a psudo sequal with the same chars in a new but similar world and setting. (So it won't be a fan game this way).

3 Make something entirely new.

Any feedback or reccomendations would be appreciated, especially from anyone whole played my game. Thanks.

shin megami tensei on rpg maker o.o = instant download and try. dunno why some westerners dont think the persona series isnt a part of the smt series, maybe its because in the english releases the shin megami tensei isnt put beside them like the original releases of the games.