Wingflame

What do people prefer in cyberpunk games ?

Okay so basically ive started this topic to know what people think of the cyberpunk genre , what they like and expect from it and ofcourse ideas that could be implemented in a cyberpunk game :3

To those of you who dont know what cyberpunk is:  

Cyberpunk is a Speculative fiction genre centered around the transformative effects of advanced science, information technology, computers and networks ("cyber") coupled with a breakdown or radical change in the social order ("punk"). A genre that is dark and cynical in tone.

In my opinion this genre is pretty rare and it becomes much rarer when it comes to rpgmaker as it deviates from the norm.

So to keep things short i would love to hear what people prefer in cyberpunk games :3 

I'd also love to hear ideas/theories/opinions etc that people would want in a cyberpunk game ^^.

Also feel free to talk about anything related to the genre as well as it sparks more ideas.

The one that comes into my mind when you said Cyberpunk and its explanation is Megaman.

It has separate world. The cyber world and the real world.

You can gain access or enter to the cyber world which already developed. The cyber world may affect many things in the real world. The traffic light, vehicles, security, or even just house furniture that connected to the network.

How about that?

Not sure if it related about "the game" you're talking about. Because I'm talking about the world building itself

Ah! Megaman , that brings alot of memories x3 , although i wouldnt consider megaman as a cyberpunk game. the only part it would have similar is the "cyber" (computers and network). In that aspect yesh the network does exist (commonly known as the matrix).

Pretty good suggestion theo! :D being able to manipulate the real world through the cyber world :3

i will be working on those manipulations soon once im able to make the network ^^

You mean Megaman Battle Network? I never liked those games much myself, thought combat was too gimmicky. I kinda like the old SNES Shadowrun game, and I hear the new PC one was good. A game that was sort cyberpunk I really liked was the Memory of a Broken Dimension demo that was available a while ago, if only because it had a interesting dos prompt interface and a really weird glitchy aesthetic. I actually was kind of thinking about making a "puzzle box virtual computer" maybe with dosbox, just making a virtual hard drive filled with a special collection of data, tools, and other such stuff, which was just set up like a game, with hidden or encrypted data you had to use the tools to uncover. Kinda like a ARG thing. Sounds like a fun way to do hacking in a bigger game, if you actually had a mini virtual os, or something. That is a little advanced though. :P

Cyberpunk is more dark and grimy. Think Shadowrun, or the initial Midgar part of FF7.

It's one of my favorite genres, but you don't see it much in rpg's for some reason. Everyone always just does fantasy...

To be honest, I don't really have much expectations. If it's future-y and looks decently made, I'm practically guaranteed to give it a shot, just because there's hardly any out there as it is.

@KilloZapit- Shadowrun has been my main inspiration to start this project x3. Memory of a Broken Dimension huh o:, ill have to check that out ! :3. the new pc one is really good, brings back the old times. not too disappointed that the made it into a tactical battle system. i just like hiring runners parts. 2 things disappointed me was that there was no shadowruns to do ( it was most quests) and the hacking part was just bad. they just changed the map to a tron looking thing and stuff.

A mini virtual os ? o: that sounds interesting ! i havent made a concrete hacking system yet. Although how does the hacking take place then ? x3 

@Neok - Yesh i agree with you. adding to that list id say deux  ex too, although its more fps and stuff , it shows its cyberpunk aspect pretty well :3.That sounds great :3 then i hope you try out my game once the demo comes out ^^ .(will be  a while , alot of work to do c:)

Memory of a Broken Dimension is interesting because the premise is basically you find this weird mysterious unknown computer system that you stumble around in, trying to figure out how it works and what it is for. I just kinda like that idea for hacking, logging on to command prompts, trying things out like a simple dir or help command, finding out what is there and having to figure out what to do with it. There is also an old game that was remade not to long ago about hacking robots that was rather interesting (though I heard the name is kind of offensive to some people).

I think the reason why there is not much cyberpunk is because there probably are not that many tilesets available for that.

Also I'd like to think about original Deus Ex as more RPG-ey than FPS-y

But yeah, the things I expect from cyberpunk is both physical and cyber adventures, with bodily enhancments and all that belongs to it, good and bad.

(I wonder if Scrapped Princess can be considered an offshoot of cyberpunk or if it is just scifi)

@KilloZapit that sounds cool :3 , yesh im currently working on trying to make something interesting when it comes to hacking. the genesis shadowrun hacking was pretty addictive for me , i loved hacking and stealing data and selling them. hm ill have to take a look into that game :3

@Intocabille thats true, hence why i said "much rarer when it comes to rpgmaker as it deviates from the norm." .Deus ex was nice and simple. i loved playing that game ^^. Scrapped Princess ? o: never heard of it -googles-

Hehe, if you don't mind being lost for hours, you could take a look at the examples here. I am actually kind of a fan of what is known as "post-cyberpunk", witch is basically cyberpunk that is notably less negative and less anti-technology.

hm like deus ex was post cyberpunk , i should find out the key differences . ah that link you gave me , its where i took the definition from x3 , that website is amazing ! , still reading through it :3 . im also planning to get neuromancer book by wiliam gibson and read it to get more ideas , since he is considered to be the father of the genre . 

What you never been to Tv Tropes before? Just be careful. It tends to have adverse effects. :P

i dont think you read my post right :P , i took the definition of cyberpunk waay back in the first post from there :3. so yesh i know about it ^^.

Ontopic

Does anyone have any good suggestion for a cyberpunk title ? i had something but then im really picky so  i decided on asking the community for suggestions as my brain is having a writer's block x.x 

I guess it would depend on the plot?

(Trapped) in Web - could work, either it being the cyber one, or as figurative one consisting of plans hidden within plans or web as a ring of mafia or corporate stuff. 

Object: nil - funny jab at programming languages, could work for something that contains stuff like identity theft / body hack

I like "Null Pointer" better then "Object: Nil" myself, possible ruby reference or not. Probably been used though. Maybe "Halting Problem" could be a title that explores social apathy. There might or might not have been a book called that already, I donno. I kinda would like to see one that worked "NaN" in somehow. Or maybe one like title'); DROP TABLE games; hehehe...

hm those are pretty good suggestions , i would post the intro but then that would spoil the surprise~ but well the theme is dark and cynical, so im trying to find a dark and cynical title for it~ x3

Hmm "File Deleted" ? like... save file deleted? :-)

You should also include a part of game in cyberspace and threaten the player to corrupt his save files if s/he fails. (Though probably not doing it.)

Edited by Intocabille

As far as Cyberpunk goes, I am an unwavering fan of Blade Runner and any game that captures that feel is a shoe-in for awesomeness. Shadowrun has some incredible mechanics, as does Deus Ex (though Deus Ex gets the atmosphere down right away). I've been thinking about tackling a Cyberpunk game after my current project, just because I love "used future" and transhuman concepts.

Blade runner was really awesome. im surprised i forgot about it xD. im still setting up everything for my cyberpunk game (its taking ages xD). its a huge tackle cause it gets hard making a different kind of game but ish all worth it ! :3. Same there's that tech junkie feel to it which i like a lot. Either way It's gonna be a super big project so with college and me working alone, it'll take me a long while to finish this one x3

A good start for the cyberpunk genre is its manifest-anthology Mirrorshades : the Cyberpunk Anthology (1986), by Bruce Sterling: plenty of short stories by major authors which each examine the main themes of the genre. You can also check out this entry of the Science Fiction Encyclopedia for more titles and authors names as well as a short history of the cyberpunk genre and a presentation of its roots in previous sci-fi litterature, from the end of the Golden Age throughout the New Wave period.

Otherwise, considering the topic itself, my advice would be to not too much count onto other people suggestions: not that they're not interesting, but because if you rely heavily on what people expect you may end doing something very classical, and maybe too much – and I mean by this: seriously lacking in originality...

'Hope it helps!

ohh a book, now i have one more to check out other than neuromancer =D , ill go through the link ,ty ^^.

This topic isnt for me to make a game according to what people suggest me. I've already planned out most parts for my game. I made this topic to get feedback on people's experience with cyberpunk game and what they liked in it and also to get more ideas that could be better than what i had planned (im only one mind so i prefer utilizing the communities creative mind to make it even better ^~^ )

Lastly its also for my secret hidden agenda to promote cyberpunk genre >;o shh~

I have played Shadowrun, both the pen and paper version and every other iteration in video game format (including the latest )

Only recently have I actually sat down and played Cyberpunk, the precursor to Shadowrun (no magic or elves, lol) and found it VERY enjoyable.

The game was based on the d10, everything was parts of ten so it had this feeling of ones and zeros that fit the genre perfectly. It was subtle but I noticed. I enjoyed how gritty and dangerous it was, you had to play your A-game 24/7 or be pushing up daisies.

THAT is what makes a game, the sense that at any moment, you are a goner...until you are epic and then its THEIR turn to feel inferior.

Not so sure Megaman qualifies as cyber-punk lol, I suggest checking out Deus Ex, Neo-Tokyo, Ghost in the Shell, Blade Runner, Shadowrun, and some aspects of Cowboy Bebop for stylistic references.

• Like 1

[...]

Only recently have I actually sat down and played Cyberpunk, the precursor to Shadowrun (no magic or elves, lol) and found it VERY enjoyable.

The game was based on the d10, everything was parts of ten so it had this feeling of ones and zeros that fit the genre perfectly. It was subtle but I noticed. I enjoyed how gritty and dangerous it was, you had to play your A-game 24/7 or be pushing up daisies.

THAT is what makes a game, the sense that at any moment, you are a goner...until you are epic and then its THEIR turn to feel inferior.

Great memories of this one: definitely one of the best pen & paper RPG I played – not that I played a lot of them mind you but hey!

From Talsorian Games, the Mekton series is great aswell and was made compatible with Cyberpunk 2020 through the Roadstriker II add-on. But Mekton Zeta may have retconned this.

Anyway, if you want to play mechas or at least advanced power armors in Cyberpunk, the Maximum Metal add-on is the way to go! They also adapted the Bubblegum Crisis anime series to their rules system.

Wingflame -> do not hesitate to check out this RPG on the occasion: it really is worth the read, particularly if you intend to make a cyberpunk RPG – the rules system is stellar and the universe full of quite often great ideas.