pencilcase27

CardGame inspired skill and battle system

Thanks for your input ichinzen, but this issue was resolved one day later. The thing with your idea is, that while it would fix the problem, it would cause another one: When cards are sent to the grave after their effect takes place, a card that makes you discard two cards to play it could discard itself.

I solved this by adding a new zone, called the stack, that is invisible to the player. Cards enter the stack when you select them and leave it when you are done with them.

oD2vA8z.png

Any idea where the error came. I got a actor who only have 1 card in their deck with a extra draw equpimenet with added draw of 1 card.

it also can be if player does not have any cards at all or to 0

Go to Options -> Gameplay. There you should find an option called REVIVE_PENALTY, between DECK_EMPTY and MAX_SAME_EXCEP. Have you accidentialy changed the name of this option? Because your error report says that it can't find this constant.

If not, please post here your Gameplay Options and the block of code that causes the error.

New addon: http://pastebin.com/2dyeGWEP

# This addon allows you to create weapon, armors and stats that heal or damage
# the users hp, mp or tp whenever he uses or draws a card. Actors cannot die
# through this effect.

I won't have much time to work on this script in the near future, at least not as frequent as in the last month (but I'll still try to fix every bug you find).

The only thing I plan to add is a maximum hand size, but I think I'll have to go the easy way and make actors discard cards at random. I know this is not how it works in normal card games, but its just so much easier.

If there is anything you'll REALLY want/need me to add/fix, now would be a very good time to ask, because in 1-2 weeks I'll probably be swallowed by the university again :)

Can you add following updates or addons maybe :)

• Make a skill force actor to discard number of # cards from their deck to the graveyard (not by means of using card as a skill, but for enemies forcing actors to discard "X" amount of cards from their deck
  • Field effect maybe.
  • Maybe items may have card_effect notetags XD.

- Card impact effects should already work for items.

- A mill effect shouldn't be too hard to add, I'll look into it soon.

- For field effects, yanfly already has a field state script. It worked for me, but it seemed like other people had a problem. You'll have to try this yourself.

If I remember correctly, you reported a bug with card effects that I wasn't able to reproduce. Is this still an issue?

I said on last post I accidentally delete the revive setting and it's fine now

I just try with <card impact> effect on items, but it does nothing. I told you we need to add it

I try to use take card a card from hand to deck as a cost, but the cost didn't seems to trigger and I still see the card there and not shuffled back to deck.

I was talking about this one.

And I just tried to use a card impact on an item, both with a take and a draw effect, and it worked as it should. I also took a look at the code and there is no reason why it shouldn't.

Do you use any other scripts that may cause compability issues? Could you send me a demo of your game so I can look at it directly? Because this honestly confuses me.

Edited by pencilcase27

I haven't tried the script yet, so that might be implemented already, but what about a card effect, that inflicts the user with a state, simply? Like, using this for a one-turn guard thing, or something the like. 

I haven't tried the script yet, so that might be implemented already, but what about a card effect, that inflicts the user with a state, simply? Like, using this for a one-turn guard thing, or something the like. 

You don't need a script to do that. Just add "a.add_state(ID);" followed by your regular damage formular to the formula box.

So, it works as a card effect, alright. I could've figured that one out myself, really, sorry about that, haha xD 

As for suggestions, would it be possible to have a card, that requires to discard, for example, 3 cards of different elements? ^-^

Edit: I could think of one more. What about a card, that, as a cost, lets you discard one elemental card, and the damage will be done in whatever element you discarded. :D 

Edited by Schattenpuma

I have some quick questions/suggestions, if you do not mind.

Is it possible to have something akin to MTG's land system (for spell costs) or like hearthstones Mana system?

And can enemies operate like they have there own deck in battle?

If one/neither of these are not in the script, I think it would be cool to have them made.  :)

I completely adore this. Super cute.

If I may make a suggestion - It may be wise to add character/class note tags to specify non-card using characters. This would allow for the use of magic-like creature cards, which would summon in as playable characters with their own unique skills independent of a constructed deck.

This is an outstanding script. I do have a question. Where is the data saved for the "cards" that a player does have. How are they remembered and "recalled" when you load a saved file? I know the "cards" are actually skills correct? So there are no items right, because when setting the system up you put the cards into the note tags of the skills line (as I have set up quite a few "cards" already). 

Great script. Two questions. Is there any way to make a skill that steals a card/cards off enemies? Perhaps specific cards for specific eneimies? This would make for a neat Enemy Skill/Blue Magic mechanic. Secondly, is there any way to make it so only certain actors can equip certain cards? Thanks.

Edited by KaosChrist

You could use Yanfly's steal item script for that, assuming it is compatible.

EDIT: Sorry, I was assuming the system used items to store cards. Technically, you could still modify that script (if you know how to) to add a card instead of adding items.

Edited by Naridar

Alright, so it's been bugging me for a while but I'd like to add a suggestion if possible or whenever you have free time to try it, if your willing or sounds interesting.

Effects that happen at the beginning/end of an actors turn. This could be added to the main script, though not sure if it would work in the draw/play add on since I just want an effect to occur whenever a player begins their turn/ends their turn and not have a card draw/play involved, if possible, via note tags on equipment, something like.

<On turn end: Heal 10 MP>

<On beginning turn: Heal 10 Hp>

Something to that effect, again without the cards being needed to have an actual effect, just the turn ending/beginning requirement. Is this possible? Would love to see this in a future update.

One more suggestion, and not sure if you would be willing to do it but I'm gonna throw it out here and see what you think of it.

Basically, card fusion/combination in battle.

How it would work: Basically, on the card select screen in battle, if you happen to press the right key (>) on your keyboard on any card that the cursor is over, it will push it a bit to the right, just to signify that you are choosing it as a card fusion or combination rather, with another card. So after choosing 2 or more cards in your current hand, if they happen to have a note tag trigger on their skill note box that actually defines that they can be combined in battle, they create a new card effect which can be turned into a new card in battle and added into your hand (The card can be created in the skill section of the database) or have their special combined effect be used immediately in battle.

Not sure if too complicated to understand, but if you are willing to try and would like a mock up of it, I will be happy to create an image to show you what I mean, again, only if you are willing to try it. I understand this may indeed be complicated but it would sweeten up your card skill script just that much more.

I'm not expecting these to be added but would love to hear what you think about them or if there are other features you plan on adding yourself from your own ideas. I feel this script has so much more potential.

Anybody having trouble adding costum card backgrounds? been testing CUSTOM_CARD_BG = "card1". the background succesfully appears, it just doesn't fit at all.
I resized my .png using paint, used 190x264 dimensions and tested many more. Having way too much fun with this script been at it for 2 days. I would just love to
use the cards I made on Magic Set Editor. Kudos to pencil, mad script

Currently I'm not able to do much but I really hope that I'll find some time to look at my old project in the next two months. There are still some things I am not very happy with and I'd like to change.

But hey, I'm not dead :)