Sign in to follow this  
roccstar1oh1

Atlantica - Sci Fi Concept

Ok, so here is my basic concept;

sci fi game - Atlantica

Space travel
    - The humans have long since abandoned all forms of war since signing the 'world initiative'. The whole world has since banded together and have formed "The New Republic", with the main focus on
      discovering other worlds, and other life-forms.
    - with no need for the development of nuclear based weapons, the humans have invented new technology to harness and maintain this infinite nuclear energy.
    - With this new technology, the development of the Space station "Atlantica" began immediately.
    - After completion, Atlantica become home to a colony of humans with the mission of exploration and discovery.
    - 40 years have passed... and your new life begins...

Gameplay
    - You are one of the colonizing humans, born on the station, you have never seen your home planet.
    - you get to explore the massive station, which houses many families.
    - at the age of 15, you begin training to become a full fledged citizen and learn to develop skills which will be important in maintaining the operation of the station.
    - You also begin your military combat training, with the help of Virtual Reality simulators.

Characters
    - Ben;                            The main character. Ben was born on the station, and has no knowledge of his home world. He is eager to begin his training, and wants to become captain one day. A little cocky

he believes he knows how everything is done.
    - Lilly; Ben's friend.        Lilly has known Ben all her life, and is a bit of a scholar. Always got her head in her studies, she is the one who helps Ben get through his training. know's a lot about
                                          her home world, and history. She keeps Ben in line, when he becomes over ambitious.
    - Carter; Ben's Rival.     Carter wants to be on top just as bad as Ben does. Always giving Ben a hard time.

Space Station
    - Main Hall;                         Housing a massive Tree in the centre, with actual foliage able to grow. Lots of windows, and benches. kind of has a "park" type feel, main hub for the four connecting wings.
    - Residential Wing(yello);   Home to the many families on board the station, each with their own two story living quarters.
    - Training/school(blue);      The training wing home to classrooms, virtual reality sims, and a main hall.
    - Shop District?(red);         Home to many shops? (why would we need shops?)
    - Office District(green);      Housing the offices of captains and councilors that strive to maintain order among the residents.
    - Lower levels;                   The lower levels are home to the main (engine) room, the main hangar and (factories which produce the many items available to buy?)

These are just concept designs for the tiles i am working on:

oCuxSJH.png

yrRXGpB.png

oRl04CW.png

now, my space station is gonna consist of 4 different wings, each color coded. I guess my question has to do with the shop district... I don't really think a station would need a shop district, and if they did what would they sell? How would they make the goods to sell? I'm thinking about ditching the idea entirely, but not sure what a good substitution for a shop district would be?

I don't think i'll have a need for buying weapons and armor if i were to implement some kind of crafting system, or if i even want a battle system...

This is really a basic concept, so any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for stopping by :)

It's an interesting idea for a world setting, but doesn't seem to have a plot from what I see. Do you know where you are going with this?

Anyways, observations (and some story ideas):

Consider that having two level housing as a standard would be quite a lot. You should probably do the math and determine how many people are actually on this ship before you go on saying how big  each area is supposed to be. Say an average family is 3.5 people. At forty families (around 140 citizens) each with their own house sized quarter would be about the size of a significant neighborhood. If your ship had a hundred families (350 people) then the living quarters alone would probably be the size of a loaded city block.

Not that it couldn't work, if your Atlantic is some kind of super ship then that'd be cool, but if I were the engineer of that thing I would say a nice 4-6 room condo would be more than sufficient for the average comfort-focused family. Just my little opinion there.

As for the idea of shops, Again, it would make sense if it was this huge super ship to have its own internal economy. Obviously you could still have restaurants and petty vending machines where people could buy commodities, but I would imagine something with a military academy designed for preparing warriors and going on voyages into the unknown in the name of humanity would be lighter and probably wouldn't need that. More likely, again just a little idea, they would have supply laws established; they'd have to conserve what they make. Gameplay wise this would replace the money with resources/supply points where the player would be 'requisitioning' extra instead of buying.

And, if I may ask, why would a ship designed for voyaging into space be capable training soldiers in an era where world peace has already been established? Soldiers would probably be in reserve on earth already, so wouldn't it just be easier to get soldiers there and spare the VR facility for something else? Sounds like it could be shady...

Again, your description makes me imagine some kind of gigantic super ship. There's all sorts of things that could go wrong (or right) on these things.

A few ideas to ponder (or not). Hope it helps you on your way. You got the idea started. The maps look good so far too.

I'd say it's the start of something.

Thanks for the reply.

These are all some very interesting points, i guess further observation is in order.

I haven't even gotten to writing a story yet, and really this is just off the top of my head, haha. I'm not even sure what year im basing this off of, or if these human have even invented interstellar travel, i mean i guess if they had the tech to easily travel from star to star then the VR training wouldn't make sense, but i was imagining this station more along the lines of drifting through space, so maybe contact with the home planet wouldn't be the best option to acquire military assistance? maybe the school also trains scientists on board to unveil new tech as they find new materials?

The size of the station is what i havent really thought about as well, i was wondering if i should give each family a home, or just a bunk house type thing, and have like a huge cafeteria area for all the residents. I mean it doesn't really make sense to have each family with their own house haha, so thanks for the insight involving that.

im still in the early stages of development, and have not even considered where im gonna go with this, but i guess it's why i posted the topic, it's always good to get different views and perspectives. i got so many scenarios running through my head that i can't seem to pick one and stick to it. So i guess maybe i should just sit down and write something, anything lol writing is not really my thing.

A huge cafeteria sounds like a good idea. It enforces the idea that the station is very efficient and purpose-driven not to mention it could give you some help story-wise because it provides a place for characters to meet regardless of whatever kind of people they are (like the Harry Potter series did). You can also put the food and supply warehouses, and the main hospital bay at that sector to make it seem that whoever designed the station wanted to keep all life-support related facilities in one sector so that in case of emergency they could just gather all the people there and cut power to the training, residential and office districts. Also maybe put the space ports close to the sector (for easier transportation of material to and from Earth/other space stations if there are any) and that travelers using the station as a stopover (again, if there are any) also have easy access to the cafeteria. 

First off, the tileset you're working on is looking nice. It's always refreshing to see original stuff.

I think you really need to figure out the size of the ship you want to go with. When I first read your OP, I thought of a ship like the Enterprise from Star Trek. The ship is huge, housing like 3500 people or something. My suggestion would be to google some blueprints of some spaceships from tv shows like Star Trek or Battlestar Galactica. Both shows have lots of fans and are sure to have a plethora of resources like that on their fansites.

Also, I would think that shops would be unnecessary on a ship like that. Everything should be provided to the crew since they're working their. I'd suggest a pub along with the cafeteria though.

Seems to me like it could be the start of something great. Good luck with it. I hope your story comes along.

A huge cafeteria sounds like a good idea. It enforces the idea that the station is very efficient and purpose-driven not to mention it could give you some help story-wise because it provides a place for characters to meet regardless of whatever kind of people they are (like the Harry Potter series did). You can also put the food and supply warehouses, and the main hospital bay at that sector to make it seem that whoever designed the station wanted to keep all life-support related facilities in one sector so that in case of emergency they could just gather all the people there and cut power to the training, residential and office districts. Also maybe put the space ports close to the sector (for easier transportation of material to and from Earth/other space stations if there are any) and that travelers using the station as a stopover (again, if there are any) also have easy access to the cafeteria. 

I love the Hospital idea, can't believe i haven't even though of that, of course a ship has got to have a medical bay, thanks for that suggestion!

First off, the tileset you're working on is looking nice. It's always refreshing to see original stuff.

I think you really need to figure out the size of the ship you want to go with. When I first read your OP, I thought of a ship like the Enterprise from Star Trek. The ship is huge, housing like 3500 people or something. My suggestion would be to google some blueprints of some spaceships from tv shows like Star Trek or Battlestar Galactica. Both shows have lots of fans and are sure to have a plethora of resources like that on their fansites.

Also, I would think that shops would be unnecessary on a ship like that. Everything should be provided to the crew since they're working their. I'd suggest a pub along with the cafeteria though.

Seems to me like it could be the start of something great. Good luck with it. I hope your story comes along.

Thanks, and i have been doing a bit of research already, but mostly on the concept of interstellar travel, but i think looking into the lore of some of the sci fi shows on tv isn't a bad idea.

A pub/ Cafeteria sounds like a feasible scenario, so i will definitely look into how many residents im planning to have on this ship and go from there.

Again, thanks for the suggestions :)

will probably update this concept as soon as i have a better idea of what i want to do with the project. I am writing everything down, suggestions and all, and going over every one of them with a fine tooth comb so to speak. :P