Bizarre Monkey

The Drawing Feedback Thread - READ RULES GUYS, THEY'RE IMPORTANT.

The Drawing Feedback Thread

I just realized there's isn't one of these, so I'm making it, this is your general purpose 'look what I'm drawing or did draw' thread. I'm totally gonna steal the rules from Jonnie91's screenshot thread to save myself time and effort.

Rules:

• You must leave critique on ANY previous drawing. It DOES NOT have to be the last one you see. 

If you have already left feedback on a previous post, but then post your own image to critique. You are STILL required to give feedback to a DIFFERENT artwork.

This is simply due to respect for other artists. It's not exactly hard to leave some advice on a previous post. It is common courtesy. We are all here to help each other, as is the point of this thread. 

Basically, to avoid any problems. just leave Critique on a drawing in the SAME post as your thread. If you want to leave additional Feedback, without screenshots that is brilliant, however you are STILL required to post more if you post a different screenshot. 

• No random Chit-Chat. A drawing isn't required but discussions between two members should be done via PM
  • Spoiler or provide a thumbnail link for Large Images. 
  • Wait 30 posts until you repost the same drawing. 
  • Do not double post. If no one has replied edit your current post and replace the screenshot

All other Global Rules Apply

So uh yeah! Guess I'm doing this. These threads are great if you don't feel like making a dump to post all your artwork. Might even make this section more lively, we'll see!

So I guess I'll start, here's a new style that I really like, I wanna start working on it again, soon.
artist_s_logbook__21__fyori_got_bleaker_

Edited by Bizarre Monkey

That looks pretty nice, Biz! The lines are very clean overall (only a few rough patches), and the colors work nicely together. It's pretty sound anatomy-wise, but I'd suggest moving the nose and mouth up a bit, and giving her more of a chest (especially on the right side). Nice work!  ^_^

As for me, I've been getting back into charcoal this year, so here's one of the last drawings I started:

42b1mMT.png

I've wanted to make an art related thread for a while but now it appears I won't have to! Great thread idea, Bizzare Monkey.

Amysaurus, I'm afraid animals are a little out of my expertise, but I think the drawing looks very nice. However, the beak looks a bit big for the size of the bird. I think charcoal is a neat medium, you should post more work  ^_^

I have a lot of WIPs, so it was a bit hard to choose one. Here's a WIP of a potential print I've had sitting around for 500 years (sketch and rough colors):

ScreenShot040_zps7f718689.png

ScreenShot042_zps7e2249a7.png

(The gray bars are because I took a screenshot of the image, they aren't part of the drawing)

Edited by Genten

I really like the style of that image Genten, looks really petite.

Recently, been working on frame-by frame animations, rather than doing the lazy tween thing.
e7nIfD6.gif

I really like the style of that image Genten, looks really petite.

Recently, been working on frame-by frame animations, rather than doing the lazy tween thing.

e7nIfD6.gif

By the cringe that made me jump when I loaded the page!!

On saying that I love it - smooth animation and love the way the eyes move.

@Amy: Looks really good, just yea, Beak is a bit long for an American bald eagle, or any eagle, really!

Thanks Kaz! It'll be used in a thing which I'll have ready a fair way down the road.

Had this outline kicking around my comp, only just got around to coloring it in today.
artist_s_logbook__23__cloth_and_outfit_d

The outlines are irredeemable, such a novice, making the outlines different colors. Oh well, still pretty pleased with how it turned out!

It's Nola from Perseverance, Humanised.

Sup guys, Spectre here; resident artist and troll.

Woah. Apparently I missed quite a bit. Not a problem... let's see....

@Amy: Really digging the eagle; the charcoal-esque feel to it really sets it apart from a lot of other similar pictures. The eye is a bit off; I recommend moving it up and right a little.

Beak is also a little toooo long at the tip. It's pointy, but not too hook like.

@Monkey: I'll skip your animation, since it's a lazy attempt. As for Nola, or whoever that lady is, the limbs look very knobbly and curved; and not in a good way. Make sure the curvature on the limbs are convex based on the musculature on the character (even skinny ones have some curvature to their limbs). Consider drawing a skeleton before the main picture itself.

Same rules apply to the face; even if it is anime-styled, try planning out a face map to arrange the features about the head. Ease up on the exaggeration of the eyes, sketch out proper ears, and make the focus less so on the top half of the face.

For your sake, I'll do up a fast re-sketch. Stay tuned.

Anyway, on to me. I've done a quick costume design and body painting with my new shading style. I've also added a costume with primary shading, and some parts on 60% alpha to highlight the curvature of the limbs.

Warning: Picture may contain partial nudity. At least, I didn't draw in the um... bits.

yulianna_cosd1_zpsfbf45ad0.jpg

Edited by Spectre

The Drawing Feedback Thread

I just realized there's isn't one of these, so I'm making it, this is your general purpose 'look what I'm drawing or did draw' thread. I'm totally gonna steal the rules from Jonnie91's screenshot thread to save myself time and effort.

Rules:

• You must leave critique on ANY previous drawing. It DOES NOT have to be the last one you see. 

If you have already left feedback on a previous post, but then post your own image to critique. You are STILL required to give feedback to a DIFFERENT artwork.

This is simply due to respect for other artists. It's not exactly hard to leave some advice on a previous post. It is common courtesy. We are all here to help each other, as is the point of this thread. 

Basically, to avoid any problems. just leave Critique on a drawing in the SAME post as your thread. If you want to leave additional Feedback, without screenshots that is brilliant, however you are STILL required to post more if you post a different screenshot. 

• No random Chit-Chat. A drawing isn't required but discussions between two members should be done via PM
  • Spoiler or provide a thumbnail link for Large Images. 
  • Wait 30 posts until you repost the same drawing. 
  • Do not double post. If no one has replied edit your current post and replace the screenshot

All other Global Rules Apply

So uh yeah! Guess I'm doing this. These threads are great if you don't feel like making a dump to post all your artwork. Might even make this section more lively, we'll see!

So I guess I'll start, here's a new style that I really like, I wanna start working on it again, soon.

artist_s_logbook__21__fyori_got_bleaker_

I like where this is headed and I think from her position, she needs a background :) Then again, if just character art I can see if left alone. Almost has a cel-shaded effect with the

detail inline. You use SAI?

I've wanted to make an art related thread for a while but now it appears I won't have to! Great thread idea, Bizzare Monkey.

Amysaurus, I'm afraid animals are a little out of my expertise, but I think the drawing looks very nice. However, the beak looks a bit big for the size of the bird. I think charcoal is a neat medium, you should post more work  ^_^

I have a lot of WIPs, so it was a bit hard to choose one. Here's a WIP of a potential print I've had sitting around for 500 years (sketch and rough colors):

ScreenShot040_zps7f718689.png

ScreenShot042_zps7e2249a7.png

(The gray bars are because I took a screenshot of the image, they aren't part of the drawing)

I REALLY love the perspective on this. So far it is beautiful and I hope you've come a little closer to 

finishing!

@Spectre/Genten/Biz: Thanks for the feedback guys! I actually ended up fixing a pretty large portion of the drawing, but it's sadly in limbo until I go back to finish it.  :)

@Spectre: That's looking really nice so far - I love how the colors really work together. It's pretty proportionally sound, though her left leg is a bit too thin - you probably shouldn't be able to see through her thighs at that angle. xD

On the flip side, I decided to try out a new style of chibi a couple of days ago, which I'm fairly happy with so far:  zaTlA3c.png

@Monkey: I'll skip your animation, since it's a lazy attempt.

More like, I'm just beginning on the animation side. I'll get better though, promise.

As for Nola, or whoever that lady is, the limbs look very knobbly and curved; and not in a good way. Make sure the curvature on the limbs are convex based on the musculature on the character (even skinny ones have some curvature to their limbs). Consider drawing a skeleton before the main picture itself.

I did. I'm not incredibly real with anatomy yet. Elbows, shoulders and knees are my big downfalls. Which is why I typically obscure them.

Same rules apply to the face; even if it is anime-styled, try planning out a face map to arrange the features about the head. Ease up on the exaggeration of the eyes, sketch out proper ears, and make the focus less so on the top half of the face.

Noted.

For your sake, I'll do up a fast re-sketch. Stay tuned.

Alright. In my partial defense, that line work is from months ago, I only added colors.

Anyway, on to me. I've done a quick costume design and body painting with my new shading style. I've also added a costume with primary shading, and some parts on 60% alpha to highlight the curvature of the limbs.

Warning: Picture may contain partial nudity. At least, I didn't draw in the um... bits.

Lol it's fine by me.

I'm an artist of impulse... I think of something cool I want to draw, and then I draw it. A lot of the time in very backwards ways that no academic teacher would be sane if they didn't crinkle up their nose in disgust about it.

I'll be doing an animation major soon, though, and art just goes along with that, especially where anatomy is concerned.

@Bluemiu: Yeah her character is leaning back on a thing but I didn't bother adding a background. And cel-shading is what I'm going for, sorta.

And yeah, was done with Sai.

@Amy: You're welcome, darl. As for the chibi, it looks really good for what it is, I can't imagine reposing it would be much fun though.

@All o' you butts who are not Amy (she already saurit): Tremble as I do probably the most wretched example of following guidelines ever.

End result is this, hands are terrible. I recognize that fact. I had a time limit, and not six days to properly give the hands the treatment they needed.

itQUhNq.png

Unrelated note, but these quote boxes are nightmarish to work with.

Edited by Bizarre Monkey

I followed the advice of the fellow above and kept drawing.
KCuQ3pT.png
Gerald's 3/4 pose, I think this is about the 5th time I've done a different pose for him, I think I'm happiest with this one.

New Facesets:

BOoj7Cp.png
COzMqqQ.png

Gosh, his sleepy one is so cute! (Bottom row, second from the right.)

Edited by Bizarre Monkey

I followed the advice of the fellow above and kept drawing.

KCuQ3pT.png

Gerald's 3/4 pose, I think this is about the 5th time I've done a different pose for him, I think I'm happiest with this one.

New Facesets:

BOoj7Cp.png

COzMqqQ.png

Gosh, his sleepy one is so cute! (Bottom row, second from the right.)

He's like Yoda, but with an amazing beard ^_^ Great job with the faceset! Is he part of your

Crazy Chimp Collective?

Is that Lizard Gandhi? :o

Cereal though, that's really cool. Love the facial expressions and the halos changing color. And the fact that he's green and bald. :P

If you really do wanna add on to it, you can try modifying the cheek structure for expressions to convey more exaggeration in the mouth's movements.

@BluMiu: Lol, he's not part of the crazy Chimp Collective, that would mandate him being real, he is a part of the Menagerie though! The Crazy Chimp Collective is the company I'm the administrator and lead designer of, just to clear up confusion, currently there are 16 members, myself included.

I was wondering if anyone was gonna make a comparison to yoda! Lol, well he's a less greed-driven goblin, which is why he has the weird limbs and stuff. A Goblin paladin, to be precise.

Protip, he's in a game which started out purely because I wanted to break rules of archetypes, which is why there's also a Dwarven Druid and Elven Technician, shhh! :o

@Spectre: Ahahaha, Lizard Ghandi, he looks more Chinese to me. In fact here's a thing i did recently with face 18.
y8otqxM.png
Cheek and muscle structure was considered! But I didn't wanna take all day over it, I'll have plenty of chance to embrace that with my animation major next year.

I drew some shrine/obelisks.

9vpoKy7.png

I'll be making a progress thread soon, expect it within a week after the 15th or so, but I may end up taking longer, just depends! All of the assets are coming into place, my tileset artist estimates he'll be done a mere day or so before the critical date, my composer is finished, and he's applying some last minute touches to the trailer music he's been working on. After an unfortunate absence Rin is getting back on board to do the last logo or two the game needs, I've got one prize nominee for Fatty's one line of VA, but three others lined up in case that one fails. November the 15th was the deadline I gave all of my subjects to have their work done, most of the work now is on me.

Edited by Bizarre Monkey

I'm part Chinese, and I FURRY AGREE WITH THAT PICTURE. Because I am riving fortune cookie. *insert gong sound here*.

JK, it's cool though. ;p

Obelisks have a very nice glowy feel, but you may wanna give them either a more polished, straight line kind of feel, or jagged appearance. Also, instead of a pyramid, try more of a pencil shaped one; a rectangular cuboid acts as a base for a pyramid top.

@BluMiu: Lol, he's not part of the crazy Chimp Collective, that would mandate him being real, he is a part of the Menagerie though! The Crazy Chimp Collective is the company I'm the administrator and lead designer of, just to clear up confusion, currently there are 16 members, myself included.

I was wondering if anyone was gonna make a comparison to yoda! Lol, well he's a less greed-driven goblin, which is why he has the weird limbs and stuff. A Goblin paladin, to be precise.

Protip, he's in a game which started out purely because I wanted to break rules of archetypes, which is why there's also a Dwarven Druid and Elven Technician, shhh! :o

@Spectre: Ahahaha, Lizard Ghandi, he looks more Chinese to me. In fact here's a thing i did recently with face 18.

y8otqxM.png

Cheek and muscle structure was considered! But I didn't wanna take all day over it, I'll have plenty of chance to embrace that with my animation major next year.

I drew some shrine/obelisks.

9vpoKy7.png

I'll be making a progress thread soon, expect it within a week after the 15th or so, but I may end up taking longer, just depends! All of the assets are coming into place, my tileset artist estimates he'll be done a mere day or so before the critical date, my composer is finished, and he's applying some last minute touches to the trailer music he's been working on. After an unfortunate absence Rin is getting back on board to do the last logo or two the game needs, I've got one prize nominee for Fatty's one line of VA, but three others lined up in case that one fails. November the 15th was the deadline I gave all of my subjects to have their work done, most of the work now is on me.

Ah, okay. I was thinking Crazy Chimp was a huge game project rather than group. Impressive sized group you have, too! You knew the Yoda thing was coming ^_^ but I really like the breaking of archetypes. I understand traditional storytelling but there are a lot of great possibilities when imagination escapes those confines, so I'll be looking forward to how those turn out~ A paladin in the known sense or a different variety?

Your tilesets look great thus far and great to see you going beyond character sets. Did they take you long?

Ah, okay. I was thinking Crazy Chimp was a huge game project rather than group. Impressive sized group you have, too! You knew the Yoda thing was coming ^_^ but I really like the breaking of archetypes. I understand traditional storytelling but there are a lot of great possibilities when imagination escapes those confines, so I'll be looking forward to how those turn out~ A paladin in the known sense or a different variety?

Your tilesets look great thus far and great to see you going beyond character sets. Did they take you long?

Gerald is a Paladin, as in, follows the light, uses melee attacks and can do a lot of paladin worthy things. Paladins in their definition are fairly vague, but I think of them as Holy Crusaders. I love breaking rules, be they archetypes or whatever!

Tilesets are never something I can do quickly, even with the lack of detail inherent in the MSpainty cel-shaded bullcrap I spill everywhere, Autotiles are especially guilty for multiple reasons, but the inclusion of maths is definitely the largest factor, understanding how they meet and all is something pretty easy to grasp once you can grasp it. I don't find Pixel art thoroughly enjoyable, however. So I just get someone to do it all for me!

The CCC was formed from the remnants of a dying forum, one I was even more a fan of than i was VX.net, they liked what i did, and i offered several of them (so many of them were really talented!) positions in the company. We've been around for over a year and a half now.

Oh! Here's a couple traditional pieces I did recently. Both possible title screen designs, one ofr a reboot of Hellcat, the other for Perseverance.

Pl2X0aE.jpg

dBHwI1D.jpg

Again, it's all pretty rough because traditional drawing is an exercise of concepting for me, and it's a thoroughly relaxing activity. Digital art is where I get my big boots on and take the kiddy gloves off.

Also, this isn't a drawing, but I figured I'd let you guys bear witness to this outfit I made for Corporation XVI, you could even call it a cosplay, I guess! I'll put it in spoilers... I did design it, bought the chains from Spotlight and assembled it, based loosely on PJ's design for Corporation XVI members.

TECj8kF.jpgASQc2gg.jpg

@BizarreMonkey: I think your sketches are pretty okie. I like the freedom in them haha :) I would definitely consider drawing a frame before going all out with just drawing anatomy straight though, that's usually helpful to people who are still trying to get the hang of anatomy. ^^

Ummm...so why not. :)

I drew up this one today. Something's bothering me about the arms and hands, but I can't figure out WHAT, so I figured I would let some other eyes take a look and decide for me, because I've been staring at this too long haha. :)

Safire OP! (Spoilered due to size, whoops.)

zZEhLsE.png

And no, she is not supposed to be Wolverine...^-^

@BizarreMonkey: I think your sketches are pretty okie. I like the freedom in them haha :) I would definitely consider drawing a frame before going all out with just drawing anatomy straight though, that's usually helpful to people who are still trying to get the hang of anatomy. ^^

I drew up this one today. Something's bothering me about the arms and hands, but I can't figure out WHAT, so I figured I would let some other eyes take a look and decide for me, because I've been staring at this too long haha. :)

zZEhLsE.png

This is critique thread right? No offense but ill give critique for the pic above.

-First, let see the face, the proportion of the outline is already almost perfect. But what you need to fix is the eyes and nose (maybe nose too?) You should try search on the google for some face examples or the right proportion for the face. For me the eyes look too small to fit the face and i can't see any shape for the face.

-Second, like you said, the arms and hand need to be fixed. The hand is too big and the forearm is too small. Though the shape for the forearm is good, the wrist and the hand doesn't fit with it. And the way you do the finger is a little bit weird. Did you notice that the right hand's finger is fat then the others? For the left hand, the wrist, finger and hand is a little bit mess up try to fixed it.

-Third, the nice part for this pic is the design, body proportion and anatomy, hair(i really like how you do the hair!), the clothes's crumple, and the pose. Try to fix the problem that i said, then it may be an awesome piece.

And again no offense, im sorry if there is grammar error (im not that good with english), though overall it is a good piece! But this came from an amateur anime artist, so don't take it seriously.

Ill give this piece 7/10! Overall.

Yes, thank you! :) I was looking for a critique because I couldn't find out what was bothering me. Thanks~ I really needed a fresh pair of eyes to take a look at her. ^-^

@Tsarmina: Sorry if you did not want this, but i think looking at this may/may not help you. :3

GlaUdu9.jpg

I'm not going to repeat what was said, but i thought this might help you get an idea of her hands.

I think it's important to remember that her right arm (close to her chest) has her fingers at a slightly upwards angle. (:

.... Okk.... I think i will post a picture. XD

I would like feedback on these anatomy sketches i did. Tell me if there's anything odd/ how the anatomy is.

xCxEPhl.jpg

Ermahgerd! Bugs, you finally posted :3

Well uh, let's see then - mostly the issue's with the first pic. Second and third look pretty much alright to me:

• You still draw very sexy guys. That's a plus, btw.
  • I think the abdominal region needs to be wider - your characters seem to be missing their obliques entirely, haha. (And that's the one you told me to train :P ) Moreover, it won't support the large frame above.
  • Thighs start a little higher, and hips can be a little wider for a male figure.

Apart from that, that is stunning. I wished I looked like that :<

Anyway, a re-sketch of an old character. Mostly I need feedback regarding her clothes and the rifle.

Please ignore the chibi. That's my concept for the 2.0 sprite associated with her.

rosalyn_fbbw_zpsff032776.png

Edited by Spectre

Anyway, a re-sketch of an old character. Mostly I need feedback regarding her clothes and the rifle.

Please ignore the chibi. That's my concept for the 2.0 sprite associated with her.

rosalyn_fbbw_zpsff032776.png

Nothing noticably wrong with the rifle, though I'm no guns expert, what I'm noticing is the torso is like, hella long, like if go from the groin to the neck you got a really stretched looking dude, so unless he is supposed to be 6"6 or something I dunno, I'm not very good at anatomy yet!

Here's another traditional piece, and one of my best to date, I was watching Penny Arcade Stripsearch and was inspired to do my own strip.

sacreligious_by_bizarresheep-d7eo30s.png

This is one of those comics where I'm proud to say is basically a real conversation me and a friend had. Lukas is a Dane and he's really awesome, him and I have been buddies for over three years.

Edited by Bizarre Monkey

zZEhLsE.png

OMG, I can't believe I didn't respond to this O_O I thought I did days ago because I remember the Wolverine comment XD

Oh well, I'll risk repeating NH somewhat, though I think what needed to be said was pointed out :)

Is he size of her head off slightly or do you think you made her facial features to small? I think it could go either way depending

what was your intent.

As for the hands and arms, were you trying to capture perspective with them or did they just not come out as expected? ^_^ I

can understand trouble with finger placement with blades in them, so that might have thrown it off.

Other than that, you did excellent with the rest of her as the hair and outfit came out very well~ I actually like the face you drew too,

so I hope it stays :)