crystalknight

The Crystal Knight

Thank you all for trying this game and posting some feedback. The spelling errors will be taken care of (but it would be great if someone pointed out what exactly is wrong, and where the mistakes have been made).

I can't reupload 250MB if it's just for some minor spelling mistakes ofcourse, I'd rather reupload a big update :). So no worries, It won't be forgotten, we will update when we got some new content. The full demo will be a lot larger :).

As for the bridge Izu, the world map will be photoshopped, when it's completed in Rpgmaker. It's no use if we would photoshop it now in an unfinished state, as we'd have to redo the whole process when I complete the world map.

I did try switching to just 1 bridge, but it looked equilly awkward :/. So expect the dual bridge being there until we release the full demo :).

A big thank you, from the both of us. (and soon, 3 of us, when we use the custom battlers instead of the RTP ones.)

*EDIT* Any feedback on the ATB? Is it too slow/fast?

Edited by crystalknight

Played through the demo:

- Battle feels way too slow. The jumps to battlers and back take too much time. The battle log, too.

- You should show the 'evaded' instead of '0', confusing.

- Staff default attack doesn't show the swing properly.

- First equipment store had items that characters already have equipped.

- Going down in the secret first cave, it takes you from F1 to F-1. What. Also because of that map in top right hides your character, there's a small confusion where did you character go.

- First boss fight was literally just spam skills until he died. (Killed at Lv.1)

- After clearing the cave and trying to go trough the bridge in the east, it still suggests going to the cave.

- Second boss fight is difficult if player doesn't have potions ready. Triple slash cannot be outhealed without them. The fight was just skill spam and potion spam after triple slash. (Killed at Lv.3)

First of all: No inspiration from zelda games (though I played all and love them)

2nd glasses:

Thx for feedback, jumps and so on can easily be made faster, so I'll look into it depending on if more people want it faster/slower. (though An option to choose as a player is the better option if I can pull that off)

As for the fights: This is just a teaser, and I didn't put too much time into enemy/boss battler as they will all change looks.

==> this will lead to more personalised skills, and hopefully, more interesting battles. You did point out that I need to work on battle strategies, I'll look into that.

==> It's not meant to be easy. Though triple slash has a very low trigger chance. And the main char learns a (small) heal skill at lvl 4 I think.

==> bridge has been fixed, thx

==> F1-1 has been fixed, double thx there.

==> Going to try and find a solution for that minimap for that section.

==> First store having equip most chars already have => well they did get their equip from somewhere, they also fight and train at the castle + some soldiers buy castle equip at the town... don't think I'll change that.

==> Evaded instead of 0 ==> going to change it, thx again.

==> Staff animation was already being fixed upon release, it did look bad in the teaser, and it actually still does :), still fixing it.

As a side note: developing is slow now, as we all found jobs, this will get better after a short while. Just the first weeks at work are very busy weeks.

Edited by crystalknight

all that talk of sages and I couldn't help but say that I'm sorry.

I don't mind though :) don't worry. No "sorry" needed. Sages really are quite popular in Zelda games, so I understand now, why you'd said that.

But still => didn't get inspiration from zelda games.

I finally got around to trying this. Some thoughts:

- battles are too slow

- you can't flee from battle if one of the characters is dead because the party flees when the ATB bar of all characters is full, and the ATB bar of dead characters does not fill

- the description of "Dual Power Strike" says "Damages the enemy twice with increased power." but in reality the skill does NOT hit twice

Nothing more to say for now.

Thx for the feedback, battles are a bit lacking now, we're looking into this. The project however, has been slowed down a bit.

So don't expect major updates soon. (then again, I could change my mind and work 24/7 at this again soon)
Will look into dual power strike aswell, it should strike twice, or atleast show an animation of a dual strike.

Fleeing is a problem, don't know how to work around that, going to google a sollution. Thx!

Well as I just got back, I'll bump this topic :).

I started working on this again, updated the game, worked on the errors I had, and brought the game back to life.

Things I've done:

Added new story, new town, new dungeon, new boss, new class change (with sprites that recolour based upon choice!)

Added new skills and visuals

Made the game non commercial after the original demo ==> because of that, I added new monsters and an AWESOME BOSS which changes appearance AND stats depending upon his damage.

Added  2 new classes (figures... class change)

Added about 1 hour of gameplay

Next goal:

New dungeon (nearly finished) ==> finished
New town
2 new linked dungeons with boss
new class change ==> got the recoloured sprites!
new skills and visuals
new music files ==> Finished
extra hours gameplay
new playable character => got the sprites and faceset + story outline

Deadline: End of march 2017

Have a good time protecting your allies, slaughtering your enemies, or being a playful naive mage. (==> actually, just be all 3 of them!)

Edited by crystalknight

Hi, crystalknight! I gave the beginning of your demo a shot. I think your music, main character sprites, and windowskin are all lovely! The outdoor maps are well-done, and the indoor ones are competent, though they could use a little extra detail or 'pizazz' in places, such as the inn. I liked the events you scattered around the town - it was worth spending the time to explore. The combat animations looked very nice, though I agree with others that they moved too slowly.

From a writing standpoint, there were a handful of things that I felt you could improve. The dialogue contains some punctuation errors, such as improperly-placed (or missing) apostrophes and comma splices. You may want to discuss this with the person proofreading the game to ensure that these issues are caught.

As for the introductory cutscene, while it's fine to make a plot-heavy game, you also hit the player with a lot of details right away, in what some call an "info dump." This is a problem because it may confuse the player - or worse, lose their interest - at the start of the game. I had trouble keeping track of all the information because there was so much in that scene. Instead of narrating the game's entire backstory in Duran's dream, maybe you could let it be a little more cryptic. Mystery is a great way to intrigue the audience! Remember, you don't have to explain everything to the player right in the opening scene - you can reveal things gradually as the game progresses, or at least wait a bit longer until the player is hooked on the characters and gameplay. Another technique you could try is letting the player ask another character questions about their universe, which adds a layer of interactivity.

In the same vein, I thought that having the narrator explain each major character's backstory right when they appear was telling a bit too much. You can convey this information to the audience more naturally through dialogue or flashbacks at an appropriate point later in the game.

I really hope none of that sounded too harsh! I'm a writing major, so I tend to get more nitpicky when critiquing the story of a game than with any other aspect of it. Good luck continuing with your project - I think this demo has some nice things going for it, and it's clear that you're working hard, which is great to see! ^_^

Thank you for the comments, I'll try to speed up the animations, though I've already sped them up before last upload. Guess it is still not enough :). As for the grammar checking: I'm not sure I can still rely on that person lol. So if you spot any, mistakes, please tell me where and what it should be. As I've played through the story a couple of times, I'm not sure if I can find the mistakes myself.

The storyline: again big thx for feedback, but I have mixed feelings about this one. Today someone said that he and his friend really got sucked into the story, because of the intro.

Still I will keep it in mind, and combine it with other feedback.

+ I lack interior materials :/ thanks for pointing that out.

Ty for playing. I'm busy adding new stuff and the new class change looks AWESOME!

Edited by crystalknight

So things I've done this month:

==> I've gotten the resources I needed for the next dungeons, and I've already finished one of them (not yet uploaded, 1/3 new dungeons done)

==> I've remade the class changes, looks change drastically on some of the characters, with a big visual difference depending on the class you choose (just wait till after the 2nd Prime crystal)

==> I've gotten the music I need for the next parts

==> I've got my sketches of the next town and 2 dungeons

==> I've completed the storyline for the next part

Depending on how much time I've got, next dungeons and storyline will be uploaded between 10days and 1 month.

==> It will be a huge update. Go for it once it's released. (or just go ahead and play now, save games should still work on new version)

==> Someone just playtested my game and pointed out a lot of mistakes in my text. This will be updated in next release! (probably somewhere this weekend, as I'm now for a couple of days.) 

Edited by crystalknight