MinisterJay

How to Create a Swarm Effect

I decided to let fairies, in my current project have a swarm effect.  What is a swarm effect?  Each additional fairy adds more HP to previous existing fairies.  It works with other parameters too.

I created a common event called: Swarm.

Thanks to Galv, I have tested different conditions for the Swarm Event.  To keep it simple, the swarm size in this example is three.  The three members are Elder Commander, Elder Archer, and Elder Ice.  We will be focusing on just adding the Swarm Effect regarding the Elder Archer, in this example.

Create a Common Event, and name it Swarm.

post-35065-0-86042700-1415458030_thumb.png

Double click the @>, in Contents window. In the Event Commands, in Flow Control, select Conditional Branch, select the 2nd tab, choose the actor, and select In the Party.  (Elder Archer)  Make sure 'Set handling when conditions do not apply' is checked.  Press OK.  What we are doing here is checking if the actor (Elder Archer) is currently part of the party.

post-35065-0-72442000-1415458578_thumb.png

You will be now back to the Common Events windows.  We will take care of the Else Condition first.  What we will be doing is checking to see if the actor (Elder Archer) is functioning and being part of the party, but is not currently part of the party.  

Double click the @> below the Else, in the Contents window.  In the Event Commands, in Flow Control, select Conditional Branch, on the 1st tab, select Switch and press the ... find a free number (I chose 11), and name it (I chose ArcherIn).  This switch designates if this particular actor is in the party or not.

post-35065-0-31413900-1415459577_thumb.png

Double click the @> below the conditional branch just created, in the Contents window.  In the Event Commands, in Actor, select Change Parameters.  Select desired actor (Elder Commander), For Parameter scroll to MHP.  For Operation select Decrease.  For Operand input a number (I chose 15, since 15 is how much it was increased).  Hit OK.

post-35065-0-03088500-1415460015_thumb.png

Repeat this procedure for remaining party members.

NOTE:  Do not put the conditioned party member (Elder Archer) in this part.  The do not get Swarm Effect penalties or bonuses for their own selves.

post-35065-0-04489500-1415460220_thumb.png

After doing the last actor, double click on the next @>.  In the Event Commands, in Actor, select Change HP.  For Actor, select Entire Party.  For Operation select Decrease.  For Operand input a number (I chose 15, since 15 is how much it was increased).  Note: Make sure to select Allow Knockout, near the bottom.  We put this so if the subtraction result for HP goes below 1, the fairy will not die, as a result of a swarm member dying.  Hit OK.

post-35065-0-34064100-1415464867_thumb.png

Since the actor, Elder Archer is not part of the party, at this time, we want to make sure that the ArcherIn Switch is OFF.  Double click on the next available @>.  In the Event Commands, in Game progression, select Control Switches.  When the Control Switch window appears press the ... in the Single column.  Finder the item number used (11 was previously chosen, and now reads ArcherIn).  Double click it.  Now select Off in the Operation section, and hit OK.

post-35065-0-65411200-1415465447_thumb.png

This previous section of the Swarm Effect handled the condition of handling the actor not being part of the party, but was previously part, and no longer part, of the party.

We are now working at the top of the Contents window section.  Double click the @> just below the first Conditional Branch.  In this example it reads: Conditional Branch: [Elder Archer] is in the Party.

post-35065-0-59356000-1415465889_thumb.png

In Contents window. In the Event Commands, in Flow Control, select Conditional Branch, select the 2nd tab, choose the actor, and select In the Party.  (Elder Archer)  Make sure 'Set handling when conditions do not apply is checked.  Press OK.  What we are doing here is checking if the actor (Elder Archer) is currently part of the party.  This is exactly the same as when we did the previous conditional branch.

Do not put anything in the @> just below this conditional branch.  What this does is that if the ArcherIn switch is already on, it will do nothing.  That way, we do not continually add the same bonuses, over and over and over, every time the Swarm Effect is selected.

Instead we are going to work with the Else part of this conditional branch, as highlighted below.

post-35065-0-02507200-1415466439_thumb.png

Double click the @> below the conditional branch just created, in the Contents window.  In the Event Commands, in Actor, select Change Parameters.  Select desired actor (Elder Commander), For Parameter scroll to MHP.  For Operation select Increase.  For Operand input a number (I chose 15).  Hit OK.

Repeat this procedure for remaining party members.

NOTE:  Do not put the conditioned party member (Elder Archer) in this part.  The do not get Swarm Effect penalties or bonuses for their own selves.

After doing the last actor, double click on the next @>.  In the Event Commands, in Actor, select Change HP.  For Actor, select Entire Party.  For Operation select Increase.  For Operand input a number (I chose 15.).  Hit OK.

Since the actor, Elder Archer is part of the party, at this time, we want to make sure that the ArcherIn Switch is ON.  Double click on the next available @>.  In the Event Commands, in Game progression, select Control Switches.  When the Control Switch window appears press the ... in the Single column.  Finder the item number used (11 was previously chosen, and now reads ArcherIn).  Double click it.  Now select On in the Operation section, and hit OK.

post-35065-0-37345600-1415466921_thumb.png

This completes the Swarm Effect.  I recommend putting this Common Event just before any Battle Processing event.

Now we will focus,  on what to do if a party member died in the previous battle.

We will create a new Common Event.  I named this one Swarm Death.

post-35065-0-40907000-1415467211_thumb.png

Double click the @>, in Contents window. In the Event Commands, in Flow Control, select Conditional Branch, select the 2nd tab, choose the actor, and select the State option.  Select Death, which is the default.  Make sure 'Set handling when conditions do not apply' is checked. Hit OK.

post-35065-0-38243800-1415467482_thumb.png

Just below this conditional branch, double click the @>.  Since the actor, Elder Archer, died, we want to make sure that the ArcherIn Switch is OFF.  Double click on the next available @>.  In the Event Commands, in Game progression, select Control Switches.  When the Control Switch window appears press the ... in the Single column.  Finder the item number used (11 was previously chosen).  Double click it.  Now select Off in the Operation section, and hit OK.

Double click on the next @>.  In the Event Commands, in Actor, select Change Parameters.  Select desired actor (Elder Commander), For Parameter scroll to MHP.  For Operation select Decrease.  For Operand input a number (I chose 15, since 15 is how much it was increased).  Hit OK.

Do same for each additional party member, but do not include swarm member that just died.

After doing the last actor, double click on the next @>.  In the Event Commands, in Actor, select Change HP.  For Actor, select Entire Party.  For Operation select Decrease.  For Operand input a number (I chose 15, since 15 is how much it was increased).  Note: Make sure to select Allow Knockout, near the bottom.  We put this so if the subtraction result for HP goes below 1, the fairy will not die, as a result of a swarm member dying.  Hit OK.

post-35065-0-73061900-1415468141_thumb.png

I recommend putting the Common Event: SwarmDeath just after a battle processing.

I have tested the swarm member dying and also the swarm member leaving.  Both came back with desired results, of other swarm members losing the swarm benefits gained.

I appreciate if any see some shortcomings I may have missed.

Thanks,

Jay

post-35065-0-87739500-1415432396_thumb.png

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.