MinisterJay

Mushroom Cave Parallax

Great use of the resources. :D A few tips, however. Try flipping around that one rock cutout and alternating it here and there, rather than just pasting the same rock over and over/overlapping it. Plus, I'm certain there are a few more rocks to use on the page of resources, so try alternating some of them, too. Using the burn tool to make discolorations and shadows around the rocks would help, too. The shading under the mushrooms is awkwardly round and out-of-place compared to the lack of shadows everywhere else. You did great with the ground blending, and the layout of the dungeon is a good kind of simplistic.

I really like the map style and you use the resources very fine. :) It is a little tough and tedious to alternate different patterns of the rock you are using but it does bring the natural feeling of the cave. considering that caves are mostly asymmetrical; looking at it in a bird's eye view looks a little odd when you copy and paste them, overlapping, probably because there is that outline of the rock you're using so it kind of sticks out.

Some of the mushrooms do look a little out of place because of not only the shadow, but that blur makes it look like it is not part of the cave and in comparison with the rest of the objects and characters, everything is sharp while you have that one mushroom blurred when you enlarged it. That is very much what I have to say, EraYachi very much summarized the things that I like about your map, keep it up and going! :D

The actual details about the map, concerning the floor and the general ground pattern of the cave, are all very bland and repetitive. I highly suggest adding some minor details to the map, like spread out rocks or even fragments of pebble, just to break free from the monotony. The maps definitely need more detail, like adding in more sprawled out mushrooms or other rock formations. But not any more of the rock formations you currently have because we want to break free from that monotony I was explaining before. I don't really know much about the specifics of parallax mapping so I can't give too many details but a good start is to look at that ground floor and see what you can do about it being so bland.

Not trying to be mean or brash or anything, if I sounded like that, I apologize.

@EraYachi: Thanks for the critiquing.  I will hunt some more rocks, and learn how to discolor and shadow.

@LadyMinerva: Appreciate the critiquing.  I will work on those mushrooms.

@Arin the Radiant: Grateful for the critiquing.  I will add more floor content, including some rocks and gravel.  BTW, you are not sounding mean.  This is a critiquing forum.  The advice you give, helps the person have the opportunity to make improvements.

Here are some modifications.  I am starting with the back cave wall.

post-35065-0-27845500-1416020330_thumb.png

post-35065-0-71944500-1416020343_thumb.png

post-35065-0-73965400-1416020354_thumb.png

Here is a new mushroom scene: (Reduced image because I was running out of upload memory space....)

post-35065-0-05757000-1416072871_thumb.png