GIF Animation Sequences

GIF Animation Player

by ???nOBodY???

Description:
# This script was designed to act as a GIF animation player. Because GIF images
# aren't supported in RMVXA, this script uses a series of numbered images in a
# specifiable directory.
#
# Keep in mind this script isn't really noob-friendly, but it does offer quite a
# bit of potential for eventers and scripters alike, eliminating the need to play
# in-game videos via the API, which doesn't always work... These GIF animation
# sequences can even be looped within a customized scene, such as a slightly
# modified Scene_Status, or customized windows, such as Window_Status!
#
# NOTE: The GIF Animation Player engine code is located within the "test" sample
# below, within Scene_Map. To use GIF sequences in other scenes, copy and paste
# this code into, say, the Scene_Base main method, directly under the update
# method. You could also make a new method, stick this code in there, then put the
# new method under update instead. Actually, there are many ways to implement this
# script, but by default, Scene_Map is supported, as well as my FES script, if you
# use that... This is the code, although the update_gif_player(i) should be
# replaced by the actual method, unless you would prefer to input the code the way
# I did; creating a new method...
#
# for i in 1..20
# update_gif_player(i)
# end

How to use:
# Use the following script calls:
#
# $game_system.gif_master_selector[id] = x
#
# Where id is the id of the GIF sequence (1-20).
# Where x is a string determining the name of the folder of the sequence within
# the Graphics/Pictures/ directory, by default.
#
# $game_system.gif_master_controller[id] = x
#
# Where id is the id of the GIF sequence (1-20).
# Where x is a boolean value determining whether or not that specific GIF sequence
# should play or not.

Bugfix

#Thanks to ProfessorChill for the fix for VXAce

You will need to go to line 238
    @frames = 23
and change that 23 to however many images are in the folder.
It starts at 0.
0.png 1.png 2.png 3.png
@frames = 4
Got it?

The rest is pretty much the same.
Create a script event:
# Replace id with [1-20]
# The id is also the z
# So if you do a head, then hair you would want it Head id 19 Hair id 20
# Got it?
$game_system.gif_master_selector[id] = "Folder" #The folder you made !Starts in "Graphics/Pictures/"
$game_system.gif_master_controller[id] = true #Unsure what this does but make id the same for both.

Credits:
# All of my scripts or snippets or whatever you'd like to call them, are free to use in noncommercial projects. If you want to go
# commercial, PM me.
#
# -???nOBodY???

Link to Script

Edited by ???nOBodY???

This script is very cool...but...I prefer to play a demo to see how it works ^^

I'd prefer to stick all my scripts in a demo too, only, I don't especially like this trial version. >.< I do have an RMVX demo, although that's over at rpgmakervx.net... I have the same username there though. Meh, it plays a sequence of pictures one after another, and then loops it (if loop is enabled). Fortunately for you, Ace comes out in a few days. :)

Hello

Could somebody possibly show an example of how to call the script functions properly? I'm just getting errors on my own. Very specific instructions on how to use this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much

It's a good script. Simply: need some images and after the script will reatly the images creating a GIF( image in action). It don't really need a demo but for who doesn't know RGSS3 ist's god to create one.

Thanks very much for the response, I thought this was going to get completely ignored. I'm not very familiar with the whole scripting process. If you'd wouldn't mind answering my questions to help me, I'd be very grateful.

1. How do you add the script into the scripting folder? Is it a matter of just slotting the whole thing in one specific place, or does each of the different modules in the script need to be gutted out and pasted in their corresponding modules?

2. How do you call the script. Could you possibly use an example to clarify this? I've only returned errors, although this may be due to the script being installed incorrectly.

3. Is there a way to have the script animate a gif on repeat for a set time, so that you can sync image animations with sound?

Thanks very much for any help offered.

Read the instruction from the script. You need to copy the script and put it under Materials in your your project. You can't have errors without making nothing. If have more problems I will create a demo If the creator didn't create one.

First to use this script you need to have 20( or maxim 20) images in Graphics\Pictures\ .

Ah I'm sorry to say I've had no luck. I've put the script within the materials sections, but when it comes to using it through a call script I just get script 'game interpreter' line 1411: SytaxError occurrred. I know I'm probably using this wrongly, but I can't see how.

It doesn't seem like ???nOBodY??? made a demo for vx ace. If you could provide the demo mentioned, I'd be hugely greatful.

Thanks very much.

Apologes for the bump.

I was hoping that someone would be able to make a demo up for this script.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

I love this idea! i want to try and play gifs durring battle sequence's, kind of like animated battlers. Anyway... I'm pretty new to scripting, could you maybe create a demo, or step by step instructions to get a gif to play? I think it only plays on the map as the default setting.. Right now, I have an error: undefined local variable or method 'id' for #

Big thanks to ProfessorChill for posting a fix to get this working with VXAce.

Check out the section titled "Bugfix", as I'm too tired, or probably just lazy, to do it myself.