Kaimen

music The Mad King's Music Collection

Update with more new stuff! These two are remakes of soundtracks I had made for a radio play. Didn't change too much other than instrumentation and a few tweaks here and there. :)

"Noble Lineage"

As the name implies, this is a theme for an evil aristocrat. It's got the harpsichord and everything. :P

"Unconventional People"

Sometimes... there are just people who seem weird at first glance. But upon closer inspection... they're even weirder than you thought. This theme tries to reflect just such people - "unconventional" people.

Sheesh... I need to remember to keep this thread up to date... biggrin.gif

"Home of the Merfolk"

Fellow composer Iron Croc actually asked me to try and make a calm and relaxing soundtrack in one of his streams. Well... I pretty much took that as a dare and I'm happy to say that he was actually pleased with what I came up with. Taking that as a dare certainly motivated me and made me finish this in about three or four hours. And boy was I surprised when I found out that I can do peaceful songs, too. biggrin.gif

The song is really peaceful!

I imagine children playing on the field...

Mothers doing the laundry, the merchants sells their goods, and the elderly people watches them all with the sweet smile.  ^_^

Edited by EpicFILE28

Well, after having something peaceful and relaxing I now have a battle theme for you. And imagine, it uses the harp. :P

"Ready your Weapons ~  Battle Theme"

If you have a look at my Soundcloud, you'll see that I have a thing for battle themes. However, I never made a battle theme with this orchestral VST. And still, this does not use the orchestra exclusively. It's a mix between my two styles and I think it worked out quite nicely. For the next battle theme I'll try to use orchestra only. :D

And after a, for me, quite long phase of not composing anything I present you with this! :D

"Mansion of Many Mysteries"
I thought I was having an uncreative phase... Well, I just sat down and composed. And this is the result of me distracting myself from being uncreative. I guess I wanted to make something scary sounding but I also guess that that didn't really work out. So... let's just say we got a kinda-spooky themed song here.

Alrighty, guys. Update incoming! I'm working on a commercial music pack for MV. I've just finished the first track of it and uploaded a preview to my Soundcloud. I just wanted some input to see if it's even worth the effort. I've been shying away from commercial work because I didn't trust my abilities. That has changed. Well, a little. Just let me know what you think of this preview. ^_^

"Desolate World"

This was made in a five hour composing marathon. Originally, I just wanted to test out a new guitar VST but fiddling around with it, I accidentally made a song. I could imagine this one as map, dungeon or even town theme if the setting permits it. smile.gif

Good news everyone! Just a few days ago I finished a pack of 45 soundtracks composed by me for instant use in any RPG Maker engine. I am proud to announce that this soundtrack pack will be free for non-commercial use so, feel free to use them to your heart's content.

Here you can download the pack. :)

As to what's in this pack... well, just scroll up and you'll get an idea of what you can expect. ;)

I was sampling the ones from your original post. They're good. Like really good. I'm thinking that battle theme might be perfect for a later boss fight I have in mind.

I'll have to see what other goodies you've created. Excellent work.

I was sampling the ones from your original post. They're good. Like really good. I'm thinking that battle theme might be perfect for a later boss fight I have in mind.

I'll have to see what other goodies you've created. Excellent work.

"That battle theme"...? Which one of the ten I have composed so far? :D

Anyway, thanks for your kind words. That's what keeps me going. ^_^

Halspark Boss Battle. I'm going to prolly download and see what else you have tomorrow. I've been thinking of completely changing the music in my game. 90% of it is default stuff. They don't sound bad, but I very quickly ran out of options.

*does an 8-bit update dance*
Ladies and gentlemen... let me introduce you to a new and upcoming collection of songs! Introducing...

HUCsB4t.png

Kaimen Retro!

A few days ago I announced that I would work on some chiptunes and today, right now (actually a few hours ago but who keeps track) I have finished the very first song of this very retro collection. If you're a fan of the sound of the good ol' days then this is for you!
All I can say is: Enjoy! blush.png

The creation process of this chiptune was very similar to how I normally compose. I just start with (or without) a rough concept and just go from there. As a result, most of the time I have no idea what the heck I've actually composed. Same with this tune here. I guess it would work well as character theme for the antagonist(s) or maybe as a dungeon theme? No idea. But I do know that I did quite well on this one. And that's a good sign for further chiptunes to come.

I like the Kaimen Retro stuff so far; can't wait to recommend it for some developers after it's done. A good general-use retro pack is surprisingly hard to come by.

I like the Kaimen Retro stuff so far; can't wait to recommend it for some developers after it's done. A good general-use retro pack is surprisingly hard to come by.

Aww, thank you. :)

And yes, I've noticed this myself. That's also why I stared making these chiptunes. So far, I've planned on making a pack that includes all the basic RPG themes, so title, map, town, dungeon and battle. Hope that's gonna be enough to start off. :)

and battle.

Well, I guess I didn't promise too much right there. 'Cause the battle theme is already done. It might be my first 8-bit battle theme ever but for what it is, it's surprisingly cool, I think. Lemme know what you guys think though. :)

Just came from your Soundcloud actually. I love your materials :D

I've started making a sort of retro/pixel'd game so your Retro tracks especially appease me :D

I'll be sure to sta- check out your work more regularly Kaimen :3

To be honest, I really wanna put in battles just so I can use your battle theme.

So very tempting...

Edited by Takeo212

Just came from your Soundcloud actually. I love your materials :D

I've started making a sort of retro/pixel'd game so your Retro tracks especially appease me :D

I'll be sure to sta- check out your work more regularly Kaimen :3

To be honest, I really wanna put in battles just so I can use your battle theme.

So very tempting...

Ha! I knew my retro soundtracks would come to use fairly quickly! I just knew it! Also, thank you very much. It means much to me when my music actually gets some love - really keeps me going, ya know. :D

Anyway, you be sure to... uh... yeah "check out" my stuff more regularly. Since I'm busy writing music for another forums Resource Staff, the only songs I'm gonna have the time to make and release kinda regularly are my retro songs. And if you want to use them: there will be seamlessly looping .ogg files for all of them for instant use in any RPG Maker. Just be a little patient, 'kay? :)

*whistles the update jingle*
So... I've had this little motive that's been spooking around my head these last few days and I built this song around it in about five of six hours. I think that's a personal record considering how amazing this tune sounds (at least I think it's amazing :P). 

The "hymn of the forgotten", the main theme to-be of my game "Oblivia" (working title).

Usually the soundtrack is not the first thing you create when making a game but I decided that this one deserves to be the main theme of my game.
The intro to this one was the little motive that's been stuck in my head and I'm especially proud of the flute motive I came up with in the process of making it. This might be one of my most "complicated" songs so far and it's definitely already one of my personal favourites. default_smile.gif

*does the update dance*
Anyway, I've experimented a little and tried to create a futuristic-sounding dungeon theme. Don't know if that worked but I like what I've done here. Let me know what you guyses think. :D

A little experiment with a combination of synth, piano, choir and ominous-sounding percussion. The arpeggiator bass and the synth pads add a sort of futuristic touch to this dungeon theme while the piano keeps up the suspense. The string bass brings seriousness into the piece while the choir is there to contrast exactly that seriousness and suspense.

Great music, my friend. :3 I did want to also say that I was "following" your soundcloud, but then my game called, so as well as using your songs from the pack you released, I use them in battles in what not. With you're style, I can't say its lackluster, but rather fits an interesting blend for old and new ways of music. :D Let's party like it's 1999, eh?

With you're style, I can't say its lackluster, but rather fits an interesting blend for old and new ways of music. :D Let's party like it's 1999, eh?

I hear that rather often. I don't know what is so special that I'm doing that makes my music sound that way but I'm glad it has a distinct and kinda unique sound to it. Could that be because I grew up between the generation of 2D games and the generation of 3D games? I don't know. Could be. Anyway, I'm glad you like it, I'm glad you're using it and thank you for your kind words. I'm definitely partying like it's '99! :D

Been a while since I last updated this thread. So I guess it's time I posted something here again, huh? Let's do that then. ^-^

Now this one is very special to me. This, ladies and gentlemen, is my first-ever commission (aka the first song that I got money for). The celesta sets a neat music box mood and is supported by some emulated clock-ticking to make an unnerving intro that makes you feel alone and lonely. I'm especially proud of this one since it carries so much symbolism in it - more than any other song I wrote thus far.

Well, it's been some time since I last made a chiptune. Gotta say though, I'm getting good with the chip sounds. But listen for yourselves. :D

Probably my best retro tune so far. However, it is, again, one of the songs I composed without anything particular in mind. I guess it could be a dungeon theme or a villain theme. Maybe even a stage theme for an action/adventure game or a side-scroller.

So... I haven't been very creative lately but I managed to finish at least one song aside from a commission I did. And that song was more of a practice than anything. I was trying out some new modes and scales and discovered harmonic minor. So... I made a desert theme. There you go. smile.png

To be honest, I'm not quite satisfied with how this song turned out. There's something that still bothers me about it but I don't know what it is. Might be the loop. Might be that I decided against adding choirs. Might be the strings. I dunno. Might rework it in the future.

It's time for some more examples of what I can do when I'm promised some money in return! That's right folks, these two songs here are commissions made for a game by Nio Kasgami. Now even with proper album cover and all. :3

This song plays in certain safe areas where you're supposed to save your progress. Will it require a typewriter and ink ribbons? I don't know. I'm just the composer. Anyway, I decided to mainly use "light" instruments in this one. Harp, music box, piano, flute. Add in some choir and you've got yourself a nice lullaby-esque theme.

Yes, I know, the pun in the song's title is terrible (that is, if you even get that it's a pun in the first place...) but I couldn't think of a more fitting name for this track. This is the character theme of the Zomposer - a character that's actually based on yours truly. Yes, I'm going to make a cameo in this game and this is gonna be my theme. Gotta say, I consider this one of my best works so far. To make it sound less serious (yes, this song is still in a minor key) I used a technique I call "Kirkhope-izing". What that is, is taking a song and apply the typical Grant Kirkhope features to it like the tuba and marimba in my case. Worked out quite nicely and resulted in a very catchy tune. ^-^