Mr.Waffles

mapping Map Layout for Farming RPG

Greeting Acers!

Waffles here. I'm a new member to the community, but I've been browsing this site along with previously closed RPG maker community sites for years now.

I figured after my move to Australia from my home in Canada, now would be the best time to reach out and make some friends! Haha.

At any rate, I'll be posting some resources in the coming days (mostly icons and other small visuals) to give back to the community. In the meantime though,

I could use some advice/suggestions on a project I've been working on recently.

A bit about the project:

I'm working on a dungeon-crawler with randomized dungeons, with a player-owned farm as well as mining, woodcutting, and NPC relationships. I'm going for

something akin to "Animal Crossing" meets "Harvest Moon" meets "Final Fantasy" I suppose.

I'm currently working on the layout for the player-owned farm. Specifically, how it could be designed with efficiency in mind.

Farm resources renew/progress with each passing day. I expect the player will spend 10 minutes or so with each morning tending to crops,

milking cows, and gathering items from the various areas.

Here is what I have so far.

2mmfxqs.jpg

My question involves efficiency, as the player will spend some time throughout the game in these areas tending to the farm. Location of buildings/plots are key, as backtracking long distances to visit the areas could be tedious.

Also, any suggestions for additional areas/buildings are welcomed, but getting the layout right is crucial.

Thanks guys! Any feedback/suggestions are welcome.

Extra (non-essential) Information

House : The player's house, where they can sleep, as well as read up on items/monsters via Item Journal and Bestiary, or use the kitchen to cook.

Mailbox: The player will receive mail and gifts throughout the game from the many NPCs.

Farmland: 4 plots of 3x4 (12) land where the player can plant and harvest crops. Starts with 1 plot, and upgrades to 4 max.

Apiary: Fenced-in apiary for bee-farming and collection of honey.

Barn: Interior area housing milk-able cows and egg-laying chickens, as well as a bin for surplus animal feed.

Pig Sty: Fenced-in area for housing pigs, which produce fertilizer for crops.

Sheep Field: Fenced-in field for shear-able sheep.

Orchard: 8 plots for harvest-able fruit trees. Player starts with 2 plots and unlocks more with upgrades.

Mines: Interior mining area with renewable mining nodes on a daily reset.

Fishing Pond: Exterior area for fishing. =p

Workshop: Interior area housing the blacksmith, tailoring, and alchemy crafting areas.

All areas outside of the house are empty initially, with the player completing an introductory quest to "build" the individual areas. Further side-quests/upgrades are needed

for each of the areas to reach it's full capabilities, in some cases allowing the player to hire on an NPC helper to gather a small amount of resources each day

related to their respective craft.

The expected play-pattern would be
1) Wake-up, tend farm, collect items, and pay NPC helpers (if applicable)

2) Head to the town

3) Spend time with NPCs completing errands/sidequests

OR

4) Head to the Adventurer's Guild headquarters to embark on an adventure (Randomized dungeon/field areas to explore/battle/loot)

5) Close to midnight, the player is sent home if in town/farm, or asked if they would like to set up camp if in an adventure map, and the process repeats.

Edit: Added topic tags.

Edited by mrwaffles20

Super cool idea!

1. Personally, I think it would be more logical if the farmland was beside the fruit trees.

2. Could the pigs just be in the field with the sheep?

3. I think a chicken coop would be cool!

1. You're probably right, actually. Since the player would be able to harvest and plant everything at once, it would create a bit better pacing for activities on the farm.

2. The pig pen could be moved to be near the sheep, for sure. The main reason for even having all the areas separate to begin with is because of the upgrading. It's much easier to have upgrades done on a map-by-map basis, instead of designing maps with a large amount of areas on it, and trying to map all the possible combinations of levels for the buildings/pens etc.

3. I'm thinking inside the barn? Perhaps a few stalls for cows, and along the back wall, a line of nests to collect eggs, while the chickens sort of wander about?

Great suggestions at any rate! I may be able to move the mine to the same area as the fishing pond as well to save on maps, along with moving the pigs to the sheep area. Will edit main post when I get time.

Hmm... I don't have any new buildings, but I do know there should be something else there. I got everything to fit together, and there seems to be a big piece of land missing, indicated by the red lines.

post-49304-0-74851800-1420740238_thumb.png

Also, should the farmland be so far from the orchard? They seems pretty similar to me, so I would probably do them at the same time.

Edited by VeNAM

Hmm... I don't have any new buildings, but I do know there should be something else there. I got everything to fit together, and there seems to be a big piece of land missing, indicated by the red lines.

Also, should the farmland be so far from the orchard? They seems pretty similar to me, so I would probably do them at the same time.

That's a decent setup for a single-map farm, for sure! The main reason I decided on doing separate maps for each of the buildings/areas is to have an easier time with upgrades.

The farm areas will visually change on the interior and exterior when a player upgrades a particular plot. When they are separate I am easily able to have 3-4 individual clone-maps

for each of the upgrades, showing a visual progression.

If they were all on the same map, I'd have to create... Hundreds of clone-maps of that one map, for all the possible upgrade levels.

(ex): (Workshop is lvl 1, Sheep field is lvl 2), (Workshop is lvl 2, Sheep field is lvl 1), and so on. If I have 10 plots, 4 possible levels for each that's 210 possible combinations...

Ahh, sorry... That isn't what I meant at all. The reason I put them all together was to better see what was missing. I like to do it so I can make sure that every edge tile links to another map. What I was trying to say was that there was some empty space unfilled. Sorry for the confusion.

Some of my mums relatives work a farm, and trust me, you want the orchard as far away from livestock as possible! Even sheep and cows will get through fencing is fallen fruit is near enough.

Having the different areas as different maps is a good idea, and as a previous poster said you can then just have Level 1/2/3 as easy different maps as they are upgraded.