MinisterJay

Card Design Competition/Challenge (For RPG Based Digital Board Game)

I am making a digital board game on RPG Maker VX Ace based on the main character of our project Bobbi Ficus (Paglalakbay ng Diwata).  The name of the digital board game is Bobby Ficus: Berry Rogue Hideout.

When the players, lands on the "Random Encounter" or "Surprise!" spots, they must pick the corresponding card.

What the challenge is, is to create the design for the backs of these two cards.  The words "Random Encounter" and "Surprise!" must be written on each's appropriate card.  Design styles should compliment each other.

The designer of the set, that is selected, will receive $20 US via PayPal or Western Union, and be listed on game credits.  If winner decides they do not want compensation, we use the money to support a RPG Maker Game Dev project on crowdfunding (This funding will not go to a project that JABHA Creativity or MinisterJay have vested interest in).

NOTE: New deadline is midnight between Sunday and Monday, tomorrow night.

what is the theme of the board game?

it would be nice to know how the overall scene is portrayed so that interested peeps can compliment it in their design.

dbchest, the theme of the board game is basically gathering a small team and improving weapons and armor, by collecting berries.  These berries can be acquired and lost by facing random and set encounters.  The berries can also be collected at berry bushes and be found in some Surprise situations.  Neither player character nor opponents are killed, losing parties just lose berries, and may be faced again.  The digital board game is in the Bobbi Ficus fairy product line.  The name of this game is Bobbi Ficus: Berry Rogue Hideout.

Oh man, I wish I backed up my card designs. A few months ago I was working on a real, physical card game with TGC and I made some bombin' templates.

Sephiron, there are also plans to make a digital and physical card game, within the Bobbi Ficus product line.

Any others in the competition.  it is time to close out.

A few have asked for a few more hours, and there are no official entries yet...

I will extend it to midnight CST tonight.

NOTE: Extension to midnight that occurs at transition between Sunday and Monday, CST.

@DrDhoom: Those look very nice!

I think if you want more success for something like this in the future, i'd suggest giving people both more time and more details. : ) I'd also suggest, possibly, offering a higher-valued reward, whether that is monetary or not.

I say this because a week is pretty short considering that a lot of people may only be free on weekends. Another thing to consider is that the higher in quality something is, the longer it will usually take to make! Most art events i've seen, or have been in, typically gave a month or more.

As for giving details, you should always remember to give the due date for contests. : ) You should also try to give people an idea of what you want.

If you were given an assignment to design a book cover by your teacher, what would your first questions be? If I asked you to make me 10 plates of bread-- would you ask any questions before starting? If you saw there was an essay-writing contest in the newspaper, what would you immediately want to know? : )

"When is this due?"

"What's the book about?"/ "What kind of bread?"/ "What does the essay need to be about?" 

My last comment is that $10 for designing a card for a contest might not sound very enticing to people. Here in Canada, minimum wage is $11/hour. : )

I don't know about you, but most contests i've seen online or in-real-life gave $20-$50 rewards. You do not specifically have to follow that, but know that in one way or another, you need high-value offers to attract high-value people.  

@DrDhoom: Those look very nice!

I think if you want more success for something like this in the future, i'd suggest giving people both more time and more details. : ) I'd also suggest, possibly, offering a higher-valued reward, whether that is monetary or not.

I say this because a week is pretty short considering that a lot of people may only be free on weekends. Another thing to consider is that the higher in quality something is, the longer it will usually take to make! Most art events i've seen, or have been in, typically gave a month or more.

As for giving details, you should always remember to give the due date for contests. : ) You should also try to give people an idea of what you want.

If you were given an assignment to design a book cover by your teacher, what would your first questions be? If I asked you to make me 10 plates of bread-- would you ask any questions before starting? If you saw there was an essay-writing contest in the newspaper, what would you immediately want to know? : )

"When is this due?"

"What's the book about?"/ "What kind of bread?"/ "What does the essay need to be about?" 

My last comment is that $10 for designing a card for a contest might not sound very enticing to people. Here in Canada, minimum wage is $11/hour. : )

I don't know about you, but most contests i've seen online or in-real-life gave $20-$50 rewards. You do not specifically have to follow that, but know that in one way or another, you need high-value offers to attract high-value people.  

Thanks, I appreciate the advice.

It has been about 10 years since I taught, and I initially forgot about the deadlines.  

In $US our minimum wage is $7, which is lower than the $9.16 (US) minimum wage in Canada.  Both countries minimum wage is way higher than many of the countries out there.  My commissioned artists get the compensation they request.  Some entrants in the contest actually wanted no compensation.  

$20 for some is a lot, and for others it is trivial.

In $US our minimum wage is $7, which is lower than the $9.16 (US) minimum wage in Canada.  Both countries minimum wage is way higher than many of the countries out there.  My commissioned artists get the compensation they request.  Some entrants in the contest actually wanted no compensation.  

That is true and I can certainly agree with that! : ) Some artists are very nice and are willing to do things for free as well. 

I just wanted to let you know though my opinion on how you could see greater gains and better results in the future; because you do not seem to be completely satisfied with how many entries you have gotten. :)

You can certainly offer however much you want. But just know that imo, as an artist, you may be losing out on more opportunities and bargains than you think.

That is true and I can certainly agree with that! : ) Some artists are very nice and are willing to do things for free as well. 

I just wanted to let you know though my opinion on how you could see greater gains and better results in the future; because you do not seem to be completely satisfied with how many entries you have gotten. :)

You can certainly offer however much you want. But just know that imo, as an artist, you may be losing out on more opportunities and bargains than you think.

Thanks Bugs.  I forgot, that others, like myself, also do most of our RPG work on weekends.  I appreciate your opinion.  

@ everybody: BTW, I have contacted the participants, and since nobody had an official entry before the initial deadline, the majority have agreed to extend it until tomorrow night midnight CDT.

I know I'm late but can you extend the deadline...I won't let you down...please it's a request.

I am afraid you are about 7 days too late this competition.

I appreciate all of the contestants.  it was a hard decision....

The competition winner, for this contest is DrDhoom.