regendo

Title Screen Skip (if no save file exists)

(original post)

Hello there.

I'm pretty new in the maker community (got my RMXP in august) and only got a little into RGSS (mostly by tutorials on "Scientia", a german wiki for rpg maker).

So when I got my Ace trial a few days ago, I decided to just look into the pre-installed scripts and get started with RGSS3.

When I looked through the threads, I noticed Gigglemoo's Thread and noticed an interesting script idea (I don't think it's against the rules to steal ideas? :o) that didn't sound too difficult so I thought, why not just do that script to get started and get some practice.

So here's what I've come up with. If there's anything you think should be improved, please say so.

Basically, we edit SceneManager.run so that if there is no save file to be found, we start a new game instead of changing to Scene_Title. And yes, the changed code is pretty much copied from Scene_Title.command_new_game .

This script skips the title screen completely and starts a new game instead if no safe-file exists. This allows for a more direct entry for the player and for a more convenient testing experience for the creator.

Since of June 3rd, 2012, this script no longer overwrites SceneManager#run, but no aliases and changes SceneManager#first_scene_class. The results are the same, but there is a tiny bit more compability (though I doubt that, in this script's case, this will matter).

You can always view the most recent version of this script in my github repository. Alternatively you can download the latest release as a .rb, .zip, or .tar.gz from the releases section (direct download for .rb). The latest release isn't necessarily the most up-to-date version of the script, but will be updated every time an important change occurs.

To implement, C&P as a new script above Main.

Edited by regendo

This is perfect for jumping straight into a game, and getting your feet wet before being able to save and whatnot. Reminds me of games like Morrowind for some reason... Gj bro!

Update - Script was completely re-written. No longer overwrites (bad for compability) SceneManager#run, but now aliases and then changes SceneManager#first_scene_class. Results stay the same, so there is no absolute need for anyone to update to the newer version, though it would, of course, be recommended.

I moved the repository to github recently. OP has been updated to contain the new links.

There also was a small update, but nothing game-changing (no bugfixes or anything, just made the code a bit simpler). Get the new version if you don't have the script yet or if you don't mind sparing a few seconds, but there is no real necessity to update.

From my ToU:

1. You must give credit to the author if you use any of these scripts in your project(s).

[...]

3. You must not use these scripts in a commercial project unless you were given explicit premission to do so by the author.

(i) This permission has to be granted for every script used.
(ii) This permission has to be granted prior to any releases of the project, including unfinished, alpha-, beta-, demo-, and other releases.
[...]

As long as you will credit me, I'm fine with giving you permission to use this script (TSS) in a commercial project. No additional fees or anything similar are necessary, but a free copy of the eventually released project would be nice.

I'll update the LICENCES.txt once my internet connection gets better. If you also want to use another script (such as GOWC, since you posted in that topic) commercially, just remember to ask.

Well darn me, looks like I broke this script while rewriting it. Just erase one of these three ends at the bottom of the script, there's one too many. And update will be provided soon-ish.

Nice script. Jumping straight into the story whenever you start running is good, instead roaming around the menu with just 3 commands. But this is not good to test the title screen, obviously. Gonna use. Thanks for making it.