Hey everybody! So, I have been developing a few games, and as it turns out, NONE of them are actual RPGs. As such, I really like to stuff my games with Easter Eggs. The only problem is, I can't think of any kind of rewards for finding said easter eggs. I was thinking of drawing some pics, but I suck at drawing. I was just now thinking about a room with a jukebox, and when you find a certain number (or a certain one?) you can go to it. Other thoughts include a "Hall of Fame" on my website, or if you find a certain number of easter eggs, you get a code at the end of the game. If you find the code in 3 games, I will give the player a download to a 4th game. The only problem with these ideas is: The Internet. Anyone could fake out this system very easily, to the point that I might as well just release the game publicly. Maybe take a cellphone photo of the screen with the info on it and a special email address to send it to? I could easily compare any photos I receive, and if I get two of the same...

Some kind of a reward system would be cool though, because, as I said, I have a penchant for secret things in my games. I just can't think of anything of value to warrant finding these things. Any suggestions and ideas would be appreciated. 

Does anyone know of any good minigame scripts? I could always have an arcade...

Honestly, good Easter Eggs don't need to be elaborate and overly complex to be fun and rewarding.

The best game in the world for Easter Eggs, I think, was Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Just the sheer quantity of not just jokes, but tiny hidden places, or slightly unusual objects. Look up "Oblivion Cheat", "Oblivion Secret", or "Oblivion Unmarked Places" and you'll find lists and lists and lists of just stuff to find. Stumbling across anything in the game world like that, or even on a list of these places is incredibly rewarding in on it's own.

For example of a good RPG Maker Easter Egg that I liked, I'm playing through Ixias (sorry Sinathor, your secrets must be told) right now and found while I was investigating every single apartment door, the player character made a remark on door 404. "This apartment cannot be found.."

That was enough to get a kick out of me, and for a lot of people, I suspect that's the case. 

In my opinion, you should reveal bits and pieces of your other projects if you'd like. That or grant the player something that'll assist them greatly in your game, like an item that reduces encounter possibilities or the like. 

Hmm... theres Tsarmina's "Sugar Sweet"(in which I strongly support , ^u^), Twin Hearts Sage(forgot the developer's name for this one,), you may use my project if you'd like. I'll check with Tsarmina in a few.

Edited by AngelAdvent

You could have subtle little easter eggs. For example I'll use a few from my own game

There is a dagger called Carnwennan in my game and it's deception is the following: "A dagger believed to once belong to an ancient king"

Anyone who knows Welsh Mythos then you would know the easter egg

Another weapon easter egg is the Hero's Bow and it's deception is: "A bow believed to once belong to a hero clad in green"

Which could mean either Green Arrow or Link

For my last example I'll use a set of armor the Genji gear I.E. Shield, Helm, Armor, Gauntlets and Leggings, All of them are a reference to Gilgamesh and the deception for each piece of armor is:"A (gear) from another realm of existence"

Basically have easter eggs hidden in plain sight but unless you know the media it is from you wouldn't really get it.

Oh man... reading all these replies, I feel kind of daft... I never realized many of the things listed above (scraps of text, random things to see, etc.) were considered easter eggs. I always think of Excel 95's Hall of Tortured Souls and Contra: Legacy of War on PS1. Where you are taken out of the programs normal environment and dipped in something different. But all the ideas above has prompted a lot of thinking. Thanks for the suggestions. 

What are some of your favorite easter eggs in video games?

Your code idea is a good one, but as you said, the Internet can create a way around that. My response to that would be to create a script that creates codes, sort of like how there are certain programs that create CD crack codes. To emulate that exactly would be kinda sorta basically insane, but you could probably do it by limiting what characters can go where (for example, only QWERTY as the first character, ASDFGH as the second, etc.) and then having them register the code online, making that unique character null after being submitted. So long as you create enough probabilities for your demographic (ex: 1,000,000 for a demographic of 1,000, creating a 0.001% chance for overlap), then you could have them make an account/profile with their (almost) unique codes. Once they've sent you all three codes with some basic information from them (ex: Name, Birthday, Country + State/Province), they'd be set to go. You could do this quite easily through e-mail. This would also prove to be a good time to ask questions or give a survey directly to your target demographic. I don't know much of anything about scripting, but it's certainly an idea! :) Also, you'd need to find someone with a greater knowledge of probability than me to figure out how to create the odds necessary, but it would take less than you would imagine. :)

GTA: San Andreas (I think) has an easter egg which is just a sign on top of a virtually inaccessible bridge which reads "There are no easter eggs up here, go away." Personally, I think a good easter egg is one that has an element of mystery to it, something which expands the game world and gets the player asking questions. Such as... http://youtu.be/lc5MRXY7t3A?t=1m37s

How about, you like fight through this castle right? And you may fight the boss and be like "oh the game is over" but if you get two rings and take them to a clock you can get glasses that show you a orb is totally controlling the boss, and if you destroy that instead, surprise! A whole other castle comes out of the sky! But it's UPSIDE DOWN! Like, whoa! And then you get the sword from the floating head in the upside down library and make everything your bitch forever. The end.

(I am pretty sure everyone knows what game I am talking about.)

No, sadly I have no idea. But that sounds epic. I might use something along those lines, but, of course not exact. I was already planning on having a *SLIGHTLY* different end if certain conditions were met, and even a new area to explore.

Aww, now I spoiled it. Though it really isn't hard to find if you explore everywhere and is sort of required for the good endings, so it might not even count. I was talking about this game. It's seriously one of the best games ever made, though a bit on the easy side (half thanks to super powerful weapons like the sword I was talking about).

Bah! Of all the good games I played on Playstation, I missed C:SoN. I have always been a graphics snob, so when I seen this game wasn't much of an improvement, OR 3D, I was kind of put off. I have grown out of that, now. Mostly.

All these posts have inspired a flood of ideas. I keep worrying I might eventually end up with a game that has more easter egg content than regular playable stuff. :P

Edited by philteredkhaos

How about a secret ending. Make a secret quest that TOTALLY changes the tide of the story, making it even more expansive. BUT, make it similar, not exactly like it, to another game like our little, helpful fairy referenced. I'm making a quest that has the player find a murderer THROUGHOUT the ENTIRE WORLD, thus making my project very expansive and has the player at their toes. At the end, after defeating the final boss, an extra cutscene is commenced, revealing that another game is to be released and simultaneously revealing the murderer.

@KilloZapit: I like that description you have there. lol  

Edited by SinfulBeauty

I'm a big fan of silly easter eggs that make you laugh. The problem with easter eggs is that, as you've said, knowledge of their existence will eventually hit the internet. But with funny easter eggs, even just reading about them can make people laugh, so you still get the intended effect. :)

My favourite of this type comes from Mass Effect 1. There are space cows all over the place, and none of them do anything special, except for one cow that's labelled "Shifty Looking Cow". If you interact with it, nothing happens at first. Then when you turn around, the cow will follow you and slowly steal your money while you aren't looking!