I was thinking of making a battle system that makes use of the Barrier and Guard System in Dragon Age, whereas the characters have a certain amount of damage that they can absorb when protected before damage actually touches their HP. I have some questions on how to go about them, not script-wise (though that would help), but by idea:

1) Should I transform TP or MP bar for the barrier/guard gauge? Or start a new one altogether? Should I even include both?

In Dragon Age 3, the guard is the typical protection of front line warriors and stays throughout gameplay until depleted. The Barrier is a mage-specific protection that diminishes with damage and over time. Rogues just vanish and dodge. Also, Mages gain Mana over time, Rogues gain Stamina per hit while Warriors gain Stamina per kill.

Having separate bars for TP and MP might be a bit frustrating or confusing, I think. Assuming I can make the bar work differently for each class, I should be able to make one a suitable bar for Barrier or Guard, but that takes one out and brings up the other. Should I bother trying to implement both cases?

2) Remove Basic Spell Healing?

How did you feel that with this Guard-Barrier mechanic, they also removed the ability to heal normally via spells? Think this is a good idea for dungeon crawling or dungeon diving?

3) Relationship-Dependent Abilities

I think this was more in Dragon Age 2. Do you really want to bond with your teammates for a few stat buffs? Or do you want to see more out of it?

EDIT: 4) EXP System. Do you like Southpark: Stick of Truth's EXP/Lvl system or do you have suggestions?

Do you think it's good for the rest of the party to share the same level as the main character regardless of surviving the encounter?
I'm making an encounter-optional dungeon and I'm wondering about available and would-be-cool experience systems. 

Edited by mackintosh

It's important to note that Dragon Age: Inquisition didn't just remove healing spells, but also limited the potion cap to 8 (or 12 with the right perk). If you only remove healing spells and don't limit the potion cap, then players will just dump all their money on potions so they can spam heals that way. It won't really change gameplay that much, apart from the player no longer being forced to put a healer in their party.

When Inquisition was still a work-in-progress, I remember one of the developers mentioning that they removed healing spells and limited the potion cap so that players would think about the entire journey, not just individual encounters. This worked for Inquisition because the player has the option to either engage an enemy they see to gain loot and experience, or dodge the enemy and run if they feel like they're not strong enough to take it on. If your game has random encounters, then it wouldn't be a good idea to emulate Inquisition, because the player won't have that choice.

If you do decide to go with no healing spells and limited potions, keep in mind that Inquisition had measures in place to prevent the player from getting too frustrated. On the field, this meant camps scattered throughout where players can restore their potions; in dungeons, this meant frequent potion refill stations. You may want to implement similar features.

Should you keep healing spells and/or decide not to impose a potion cap, I think that Guard and Barrier spells would make combat too easy. That said, there's no harm in having buffs that temporarily boost player defenses. On the other hand, if you go with healing limitations, they might not be a bad idea. It's hard to toss in only one part of Inquisition's combat system because each part is dependent on another; the features weren't chosen randomly.

As for relationship-based abilities, I like them. They provide a tangible reward for bonding with teammates, apart from simply improving the story. This could motivate players who aren't as interested in the story to still bother with talking to the other party members and getting a full experience.

Edited by Whiona

I was planning to make the encounters optional. Trust me, even I get frustrated dungeon diving for too long.
(Final Fantasy Hog Alert)

As for potions, I'll be limiting the inventory using TheoAllen's script, which will limit inventory based on number of party members. I'll probably put three to five slots per person. And his Chest System so you could shove stuff into other chests while running around the dungeon.

As for healing, maybe Yami's Hospital Scene, which lets a player heal when they have enough cash. But I'll modify it to be used in certain safe zones. Does that sound good?

Oh yeah, what do you think of South Park: Stick of Truth's Experience System. it's Main-Character-centric, so all allies share the main character's experience level. Is that a good idea?

That all sounds good to me. It looks like you'll have systems in place to mitigate player frustration but also still force them to be careful about healing. The exact inventory limit you use is probably best decided upon later, once you've playtested a bit, so that you know how many items the player actually needs.

I haven't played Stick of Truth, but from the sound of it, that experience system wouldn't be a bad idea if you're planning to lock the main character into the first party slot.

Edited by Whiona

You could actually make them work without the cap and no healing by either making the take several turns to cast, or by having them only cover a fraction of the character's health and maybe can be stacked.

You mean multiple turns just to use a potion? Won't that be a bit too mean? Potions are drinks and you down it like a fine keg of ale. But then again, you have to digest that stuff.