So here's a quick question; what would one need in order to survive in space?

Just been thinking a lot lately and was pondering over what exactly a space survival/adventure game would need to be interesting. I thought a few points like the ones below would make for an interesting game:

• Basic survival meters; like Hunger, Thirst, Oxygen and so on
  • Crafting System to help with the whole 'staying alive' thing.
  • A decent, driven story line (pretty necessary as I wouldn't want to design a true sandbox game in Ace!)

But then I was trying to come up with materials and other game details that would be necessary and make for an exciting game in Ace. What kinds of things do you think would fit well into a space survival/adventure game? I was thinking gathering resources like Minecraft, a relatively linear story, maybe jumping from point to point like Fire Emblem games, and keeping up with your ship and crew, maybe something along the lines of FTL.

I don't know! I'm just throwing that out there. Would love to hear fun ideas! :D

You know the Gold Rush? Same thing, but in spaaaace!

Basically, FTL travel has just been invented and several people are investing their life savings into building themselves a ship, hoping to be the first to stake a claim on a planet/asteroid/ancient craft that could be worth a fortune. You barely had enough money to get yourself a low-class ship, but ever the entrepreneur you know you're going to strike it rich somehow. Mining agencies offer you contracts for discovering rare metals, mercenaries will offer to keep you safe from those who want to play dirty, several factions will ask you to invest some resources into them in order to grow stronger and will offer you benefits in exchange.

Another survival meter, or at least something to possibly keep in mind, is radiation. Most space-based games completely ignore the fact that objects (and people) in space can be/are exposed to massive amounts of radiation. Depending on how open you make travel, this could be used to prevent players going into areas that are too dangerous for them too early on.

This idea reminds me a bit of the game Star Saga, which was an amazing game, even if it is really old and was only available on the (Cr)Apple II.

You know the Gold Rush? Same thing, but in spaaaace!

Basically, FTL travel has just been invented and several people are investing their life savings into building themselves a ship, hoping to be the first to stake a claim on a planet/asteroid/ancient craft that could be worth a fortune. You barely had enough money to get yourself a low-class ship, but ever the entrepreneur you know you're going to strike it rich somehow. Mining agencies offer you contracts for discovering rare metals, mercenaries will offer to keep you safe from those who want to play dirty, several factions will ask you to invest some resources into them in order to grow stronger and will offer you benefits in exchange.

I like this. Reminds me of the Oregon or Yukon Trail games!

I don't know too much about it, but Eve is sort of like that a bit, right? o.O I could be way off because I only know what I overhear from a friend of mine :3

I always thought the concept would be cool for offline single-player experiences... since I don't think my computer can handle Eve lol

Another survival meter, or at least something to possibly keep in mind, is radiation. Most space-based games completely ignore the fact that objects (and people) in space can be/are exposed to massive amounts of radiation. Depending on how open you make travel, this could be used to prevent players going into areas that are too dangerous for them too early on.

This idea reminds me a bit of the game Star Saga, which was an amazing game, even if it is really old and was only available on the (Cr)Apple II.

That's a good point. I learned about that in a class as a freshman in college. Different strategies to avoid radiation would be an interesting game mechanic/feature.

I looked into that Star Saga game. Really interesting. Too bad it's so old, I would have loved to take a crack at that and see what it was all about!

I was thinking about isolation as a driving element to a story too. I like how you start off alone in Minecraft... but it's not really a lonely kind of alone. It just sort of is a part of the world. Whereas I feel like the loneliness in space or in a tiny space craft would add a LOT of tension to a game... :)

• Like 1

I was thinking about isolation as a driving element to a story too. I like how you start off alone in Minecraft... but it's not really a lonely kind of alone. It just sort of is a part of the world. Whereas I feel like the loneliness in space or in a tiny space craft would add a LOT of tension to a game... :)

Isolation has been proven to drive people insane over long enough periods of time. Humans are social creatures, and some part of us just gets a bit off if we go without contact for too long. I think adding the idea of isolation as a bit of a focus, as one of the struggles, could definitely add some interesting depth. If you decide to use that, keep in mind that actual physical isolation is not the only thing to cause loneliness. Cultural, emotional, even professional isolation can cause people to feel lonely. In space, particularly with FTL, both distance and time, can be used to create loneliness. If you want a stellar (pun not intended) example of this, check out the anime Voice from a Distant Star, as it's filled with feelings of loneliness.