I thought I'd ask for some critiques on my arts~

So I've done traditional drawings for a while now, if for some reason anyone is interested I'll post a few of those, but I'm trying to develop a digital style I can use for games and whatnot.

Basically, plz halp, I have no idea what I'm doing.

+Other

Red Eye

red_eye_zpsfblw4ibo.jpg

+People/Characters

Idol

idol_zpsfnyg1let.jpg

Ninja

neen_zps85eybwhe.jpg

Vampire

vampire_guy_zpslf72ou3f.jpg

+Perspective/Scenes

A Town on Fire

533642_10151376528468372_2083360013_n_zp

A Lab

A_Lab_Lines_Finish_zpsj2r6xyqb.png

Edited by Nyapurgisnacht

I found very beautiful. What drew the most attention were the colors ... they are very well made.

Congratulations on your work!

These are wonderful.... The town on fire is my fave~

That town on fire picture is awesome, I'd love to use art of that kind of style in parts of my game. Will be looking forward to seeing what else you post. :)

Yup, I agree! The town on fire one looks awesome, having those as cutscenes would be pretty awesome!

I also like the way you blend and color the hair in the Ninja one. =D

Style, what style? Good?? You guys like the town on fire?! How??? Come on tell me how much I suck so I can improve D:

Well, I mean, thank you guys, I wasn't expecting that at all. You're all too kind :x

But I mean- *Scratches head* The Town on Fire is the one I wanted to know how to improve the most, it looks so... Eh, to me. I had the story in mind, but I feel like it didn't translate very well, I don't really know how to make convincing values digitally, and the perspective can't be right, but I don't know how to fix it really o.o;

I'll keep trying though, I do feel a bit more confident, weirdly enough.

I like the red eye and the uhh....well, the first time I saw it, I actually didn't realize it was fire until I saw other people's posts. I actually thought that those smoke were just lights from the city, and the lines were light trails (is that what they're called?). So I actually thought, "Whoa, this is so surreal!"

The Red Eye is pretty creepy. XD

And yup, A Town on Fire, hands down. The style is very nice!
The perspective seems fine to me, but I don't even know how perspective works. XD
Though as magic2345 said, it doesn't look much like fire. Well, with the picture being monochrome...
Maybe the fire could be a bit sharper? I don't know how fire works, either.

Aside from those, the ones with the drawing of a person are a bit lackluster. Except for the Ninja, as Izu mentioned.

But hey, I think you got the proportions fine. The Idol one looks a bit weird to me though.
Although I think I'm not one to talk or criticize as I'm also bad at art. Lol you're probably better than me 

While I try and settle my nerves about my game being close to demo-status, I thought I'd ask for some critiques on my arts~

So I've done traditional drawings for a while now, if for some reason anyone is interested I'll post a few of those, but I'm trying to develop a digital style I can use for games and whatnot.

Why is drawing on a tablet so hard for me?!?!

Basically, plz halp, I have no idea what I'm doing.

Red Eye

red_eye_zpsfblw4ibo.jpg

Idol

idol_zpsfnyg1let.jpg

Ninja

neen_zps85eybwhe.jpg

Vampire

vampire_guy_zpslf72ou3f.jpg

A Town on Fire

533642_10151376528468372_2083360013_n_zp

I think my favourite ones out of the ones you posted are the the 1st picture and the last picture. :D

The red eye one has really gorgeous colouring! It looks awesome, even if it does look a bit spooky. But you did the colouring and little details really nice. 

I then like last one because the perspective and angles are interesting. You drew the architecture lines very cleanly, and it's easy on the eyes to see the perspective. :) The details are also nice.

Agreed with House. The rest are good, too, but the Red Eye and the Town on Fire are exceptional; the first is so intimidating and bold (not to mention the color of choice that also made its way to be the title: red), while the last has more depth and feels that I can feel even in second glance.

...although I can't tell the differences between the lamplights and the smoke at the first sight. It's a bit too abstract for me :lol:

Also, I can see the difference of boldness between them; especially the Idol, it has almost no weight in line whatsoever if compared with the rest especially the Eye. 

Well, try to mess with bold lines later. And hey, have my kookies.

Cheers~

Nuh Eien, I bet that's bs, you're probably some kinda master-art-prodigy ;p I'll try to get those details more tangible :|

Hey, thanks for the comments everyone, and da kookies Richter :3 Too late, I already messed with bold lines in the thing I drew here xp

Ah, Bugs, the architecture lines, clean linework is the hardest thing in the world for me, it's a huge transition, I'm just now trying to figure out weights and stuff. That means a lot ^^;

Some more perspective stuff, this one is 3-point, mostly just trying to figure out perspective and colors with this one. I've never colored a scene before, (colors are scary ;o.o) So you know, tell me what you think o:

It's spotty in places, but it's getting there I guess.

A_Lab_Lines_Finish_zpsj2r6xyqb.png

I was just going for a typical sciency thing, but I made the dude look like Stein, aha ;>_> Good thing this isn't actually for anything.

Nuh Eien, I bet that's bs, you're probably some kinda master-art-prodigy ;p

That would have been better if you said that at April Fools Day. Have you even seen how/what I draw? XD

That drawing there is SOLID proof that you're better than me right now. (Hey, what's its title? lol)

The perspective is great as always, you seem to be really good at backgrounds.

About the color, it fits the scene well. :3 also those gloves are nice I can already see that piece being in a game. XD

I really can't say anything much about it other than awesome, cause you probably know more about these things than me. I guess you'll have to wait for the actual artists to comment. :P

I'll throw up some critique. Mind you, I'm not a good artist at all, I just happen to have some formal art education from my art student days.

Red Eye is a technically interesting piece, and the negative space is interesting. What does throw me off is consistency of your color blending- the background uses very sharp changes between color, while the subject has softer changes. It stays very readable from a distance and up close (zoomed out, and the way you've presented it), which is a plus.

For Idol, Ninja, and Vampire- I can tell that you're using stylized forms, but the lack of contrast in the hair makes it a little muddy. I'd try breaking up the color by adding individual strands of hair here and there, like you did with Vampire, but following the contours of the hair. In Vampire, it often looks like the hair is standing up- kinda like hair that you would have after waking from bed. Another potential issue is that your perspective seems to be off, which you can easily fix by using references photos of real people or a model. Based on Red Eye, I think you have some experience drawing realism, but I'd probably extend that even more if you're drawing without references/from memory/from imagination. My professor always claimed that an artist isn't ready to draw something in a stylized form from the mind (or imagination really) until they've drawn it from life/realism about ~10,000 times. So I would definitely recommend more realism pieces here, and that practice will help you immensely. Don't get discouraged either, as Hirei, who does art for some of the official Degica RPG Maker stuff has similar problems. 

At the size that you're presenting it, A Town on Fire looks a little unclear. I did a quick zoom out on it, and that improved it a lot. If you're finding that you really like working with large brush strokes, that aren't necessarily clear, try drawing on a larger canvas, and then resizing it to be smaller when you're ready for others to view it. This is a fairly common technique in a lot of art, and is especially important when you're making art that is meant to be read from a distance. Since it's computerized art, I'm assuming that's not the case here. Another point that really sticks out to me is that you have detail on the image that is muddy and not well defined- in particular, the smoke and the lighting in some instances. For those, you might try decreasing the opacity of your whites, with the more opaque white centered around the source of the smoke/steam/light- if you watch similar effects in life, you'll noticed that both light and smoke tend to decrease in intensity further away from the source, as well as dissipate. For the smoke, you might try going with a finer brush, to match the detailing that your line art has. For perspective, I'm going to re-emphasis working from references/life again; there's no better guide to perspective than the real world.

Like traditional medium, you'll only get better with the tablet the more you use it. One technique that I've found helpful for bridging the gap between tablet and paper is to stop looking at your hand while you draw with traditional. Practice drawing while only looking at your subject- you can kinda glance at your paper, but it shouldn't be the focus of it. Try spending 10-15 minutes a day on these 'contour sketches', and you'll probably notice a big difference.

Edit: I'd throw up some quick examples, but unfortunately, my actual ability to draw/paint is far behind my understanding of art theory and art technique. Also you could definitely improve your composition a lot. I'll go into that later into the day, when I can focus and am more awake.

Edited by seitensei

Thank you so much for the critique seteinsei <3 I'm taking all of this to heart, back to foundations for me then :P

Phew, 10,000 times eh? If I'm being very generous with myself I'd give it maybe 1,000, that's a huge maybe. Would explain why I'm having such a hard time with this, your critique helped immensely in picking out what's wrong here o: I haven't been using references, for shame ^^;

Sheesh, don't look at my hand doing traditional? It makes sense. I'll have to like, put a compilation or something when I try that, that should be interesting.

I also updated and organized the top-post for future drawings <o.o<

Thank you so much for the critique seteinsei <3 I'm taking all of this to heart, back to foundations for me then :P

Phew, 10,000 times eh? If I'm being very generous with myself I'd give it maybe 1,000, that's a huge maybe. Would explain why I'm having such a hard time with this, your critique helped immensely in picking out what's wrong here o: I haven't been using references, for shame ^^;

Sheesh, don't look at my hand doing traditional? It makes sense. I'll have to like, put a compilation or something when I try that, that should be interesting.

I also updated and organized the top-post for future drawings <o.o<

Since you're used to traditional media, you're used to coordinating your hand and the image while looking at both- that's not the same if you're using most graphics tablets (unless you're a lucky owner of a Cintiq, if so, ignore me).

Hoo boy. Apologies for the late response; I was away on holiday.

First things first, lemme congratulate you for opening up your art progress to everyone; it truly does take a lot of courage to pick this up.

For the sake of convenience, I'll comment on the latest perspective piece you've done, since I assume it's your latest, and most indicative of your current skill level.

I notice you do exceptionally well at painting a macro view of a scene; you can easily render a room or a cityscape in your mind. The cityscape, in particular, showed exemplary attention to perspective. However, you tend to struggle a lot with detailing. One of the main problems behind this is brush size variation - I notice you're using essentially the same brush size for every detail in the picture. I notice I have the same bad habit when sketching, but this tends to make distant, detailed objects seem out of place (e.g. the biohazard sign in the background).

Luckily, the solution is simple: either manually change brush sizes, or increase pen sensitivity on your tablet to ensure more variation in a single stroke.

Another thing I noticed is that you tend to have a very skewed vertical axis. This works well if you want to give a very warped, claustrophobic view of the room, but is equally likely to work against you if your lining is fairly inconsistent.

If you use Photoshop, though, there is a very easy way to circumvent this (I'm not entirely sure if it works on SAI, or there is an equivalent function). I'll illustrate below.

nya_01_zpsepjqy0jl.jpg

Start by drawing out the vertical axis as if it is entirely straight. This gives a very flat look to the image, and is by all accounts, wrong, but it also allows for consistency along that axis. This is important for the next part.

Select the entire layer of linework (Ctrl + A), followed by a Transform function (Ctrl + T). Following that, right click the selection box and choose Perspective. This allows you to narrow or widen the horizontal or vertical axis to scale, along with everything else in it.

nya_02_zpsgvanpend.jpg

The end result is a quick and easy way to stylize your artwork, while maintaining perspective consistency. There's a few inconsistent bits because of the way I sketched some of the lines in preliminary works; those can be edited accordingly. Likewise, the vertical lines you made earlier are now very good guidelines for making proportionate adjustments to the axes on the furniture.

I found this function fairly recently, and I thought it was an extremely beneficial and idiot-proof tool to improve perspective sketching.

I notice you also have a tendency to make two lines on opposite sides of an object (e.g. the medical box and the table) equidistant or parallel; unless the perspectie is negligible, try to add a shrinking effect for parts of the object that are approaching the background, and vice versa for the foreground, in order to fit in with the general shape of the room under the worm's eye view.

Lastly, this is purely personal preference, but I would mute the background colors and saturate the foreground with a bit of pale blue to give a colder, more sinister feel. This is fairly difficult to pull off because you've already added a warm color into the foreground (yellow body bag), but I did manage to desaturate the bag and add in more luminosity on the torso, while compensating with darker edges and a bluish-purple tint as part of the shadows, to blend in with the ambience of the room.

nya_03_zpsekesrtzv.jpg

And a few miscellaneous tips:

• I notice you have a window in the top right hand corner; you can use it as a secondary, hard light source (i.e. sharper shadows); otherwise, I suggest that it would be closed instead to not complicate the lighting.
  • The doctor's elbow is surprisingly low, which makes his forearm very short. Try to keep both halves of the arm relatively equal in length.
  • The torso appears to be veering to the right; unless this is intentional, you shouldn't be seeing both halves of the breast and the corpse's navel.
  • Likewise, the corpse's arm looks rather short. I suggest either pulling the body towards the background a little more, or drawing the entire arm by the side/drooping off the bench.

Apart from all that, though, you seem to have outdone yourself with experimenting on texturing and perspective. Generally, I'd focus more on the perspective as it seems to be the central focus of your sketches these days, but compared to your other pieces, this is very good work, and I'd definitely love to see more from ya. :)

Edited by Spectre

Wow, thank you for giving such thorough analysis, I'm carefully considering all of this. I need to screencap your post here and print it out for future reference :3

I do use Photoshop, but I made the line-art for that piece, and the Town on Fire, traditionally. You can still see my construction lines in places xp I'll keep in mind the tips about the stylus when making line-art, I would like to transition to doing things entirely digital. (Saves supplies, much easier to keep the canvas clean.)

That Photoshop trick really makes it apparent where the perspective is off doesn't it? That will make an excellent guideline, I'll try making the lines digitally next time. I've just been using grids underneath some transparent paper for my line-art, at least while I'm learning, but it's hard to keep things consistent with that method. I don't like relying on something so unreliable, when I should just be figuring out how perspective works in general -.-; Probably for the best I move on from that~

Edited by Nyapurgisnacht

I can place my finger on what you do, and I like that :) I love the somewhat morbid feeling I'm getting from a number of them, especially the ones with scapes,though it looks

like your well on your way to fining that perfect combination of elements that work for you.

@Latoa: Thank you <3 One day my drawings might not be so messy, it's an issue I've always had ^^; I'm kind of experimenting, I don't really know what kind of style I want to focus on yet- I like how bold lines, stylized designs, and that crisp, sort of two-tone look feel for games and such, and it's the kind of thing I'd like to find my own way of doing, but I've always learned how to do the opposite.

I think in the meantime, following the advice from some others here, I need to get a full grasp on foundations and work into it. But there's nothing stopping me from trying things out as well >;3

@BluMiu: Wewt, sounds good to me xp -Taps chin- I like morbid. Morbid is fun.

I'm doing some other more 'finished' things, but my desire to draw monsters has won out and I did these two sketches very quickly, and messily, following the pattern :B Mostly just experimenting with the tools (I got lazy and didn't bother referencing anything.) I drew these in a manner I'm more comfortable with by treating the tablet more like pencil and paper.

An Angel

MonsterSketches_1_zpslv3pmr49.png

Body Monster

BodyMonster_zps8vppesuz.png