PowerBurger

PowerBurger's Long Plays!

Hey there!

I've decided to open myself to playing other games that people have made! Whether it's long, short, just a demo, or even incomplete, I'll give it a try. I will give my thoughts on the game in the video description, and I will do my best not to sugarcoat anything. 

The reason why I've chosen to do Long Plays over everything else is because I like to personally enjoy games. That, and I'm no good at commentary. 

Please note that I'm an amateur at video editing, and that the first Long Plays I record will be a learning process for me. I ask that you bear this in mind if you'd like me to play your game! 

Without any further ado, please supply me with requests. First come, first serve!

Twin Hearts Saga, Volume 1: Resurgence [Part 4 is up!]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nflAEVq1zk&list=PLsx6WgHdFEf6fyITLhOUqIZXlcs6DuHa2&index=1

Edit: My apologies, sacrifyx, I'm taking a break from this for now. I'll post one more part soon and then likely wrap up this particular series. 

Edited by PowerBurger

Twin Hearts Saga, Volume 1: Resurgence is a full game. Well, a full volume of a game. There are many more to come, but this one is complete. About 2 hours of playtime IF you go everywhere, do everything and talk to everyone.

You needn't bother with the whole topic I linked to if you don't want to. The direct download link is here.

There's also a small zip here that should be downloaded as well. It contains some map files that will replace some in the game download to correct some bugs another player found. The game has been pretty well tested otherwise and you shouldn't run into anything game breaking.

This is light fantasy, no elves or dwarves or anything of that nature. It should be good for all ages. Be brutal, vicious and just plain mean in your playthrough, all I ask is that you play to the end.

Twin Hearts Saga, Volume 1: Resurgence is a full game. Well, a full volume of a game. There are many more to come, but this one is complete. About 2 hours of playtime IF you go everywhere, do everything and talk to everyone.

You needn't bother with the whole topic I linked to if you don't want to. The direct download link is here.

There's also a small zip here that should be downloaded as well. It contains some map files that will replace some in the game download to correct some bugs another player found. The game has been pretty well tested otherwise and you shouldn't run into anything game breaking.

This is light fantasy, no elves or dwarves or anything of that nature. It should be good for all ages. Be brutal, vicious and just plain mean in your playthrough, all I ask is that you play to the end.

I've begun playing, and I'll resume progress later today. Read the video's description for my initial thoughts.  ;)

Alright!

So, let me try and address some of your concerns here. As far as my sticking primarily with RTP, the simple fact is that RTP has pretty much everything I need, and it all works well together. I don't venture too much into custom stuff because I don't want the sloppy look of having a mish-mash of tilesets with different art styles, and to get everything I'd need or can find in RTP, I'd need several different sets from several different artists. Disclaimer, I also use RTP music for the same reason, it simply suits the scenes in game. I'm not averse to using custom music, just haven't found a need for it as of yet.

As for the marketplace being dead - there are a few more people roaming around there, you'll see several in the inn later on. But like the old man said, selections are limited due to shipping disruptions, so there's not a lot to draw folks in there at the moment. You'll find Northbridge much more populated for reasons that will be explained later on. Minor hint, you may want to check the board inside the fence, the one where you did that 'favor' for the guy trying to get away from that lady...

IMO there's nothing wrong with using the RTP as long as it serves its purpose. Why do so many people have "problems" with the RTP? I'm curious, as not everyone is a pixel artist or graphics designer. Sometimes having so many different styles of tilesets will have an adverse effect on aesthetics. I know that from previous experimentation. To me, as long as a game plays well and the storyline is compelling, who cares if the RTP has been used!

Edited by Companion Wulf

IMO there's nothing wrong with using the RTP as long as it serves its purpose. Why do so many people have "problems" with the RTP? I'm curious, as not everyone is a pixel artist or graphics designer. Sometimes having so many different styles of tilesets will have an adverse effect on aesthetics. I know that from previous experimentation. To me, as long as a game plays well and the storyline is compelling, who cares if the RTP has been used!

In my opinion, using default RTP isn't a bad thing, as long as some custom resources are introduced as well to spice things up. If you're careless, yes, it will mesh poorly. There's actually a good example of that present in the video I just uploaded. If you're careful with which resources you include and where, you can benefit your game in more ways than one!

For a demo or an incomplete game, RTP alone is perfectly fine. However, for a full game, I feel as if the developer should introduce their own original resources at least every now and then. Not only does it make the game feel more unique, it becomes less redundant for other RPG Maker users to play.

Edited by PowerBurger

Just watched part 2. What issues specifically do you see with the design of Northbridge? Too confusing? Stupid signs? Yes, the boots sign was maybe not the best choice, but it was the best choice with what I had available to me. I'm going to look for something else to put up there and upload a fix for it soon.

As for the portraits - most of the characters were made using the built-in generator. Not great, but it allowed me the flexibility to make the characters I need while reserving the RTP ones for the more major characters in the story. In case it's not obvious by now, I'm not an artist by any stretch of the imagination. As I am using multiple character sets (Samurai, for one) that don't necessarily match the RTP, I may be willing to consider searching for other charsets/facesets and replacing the generator ones as I do realize the forward facing portraits are a wee bit...off.

In any case, I'm glad to see you're sticking with it. The Marketplace and Northbridge buildings will be opening up for business soon, things should get a little more interesting for you at that point...

Just watched part 2. What issues specifically do you see with the design of Northbridge? Too confusing? Stupid signs? Yes, the boots sign was maybe not the best choice, but it was the best choice with what I had available to me. I'm going to look for something else to put up there and upload a fix for it soon.

As for the portraits - most of the characters were made using the built-in generator. Not great, but it allowed me the flexibility to make the characters I need while reserving the RTP ones for the more major characters in the story. In case it's not obvious by now, I'm not an artist by any stretch of the imagination. As I am using multiple character sets (Samurai, for one) that don't necessarily match the RTP, I may be willing to consider searching for other charsets/facesets and replacing the generator ones as I do realize the forward facing portraits are a wee bit...off.

In any case, I'm glad to see you're sticking with it. The Marketplace and Northbridge buildings will be opening up for business soon, things should get a little more interesting for you at that point...

No problem! I found Northbridge to be too messy in general, with a few things seeming out of place here and there. The buildings were of all sorts of types, with some of them being awkwardly decorated, and I found it weird how I could walk that close to the edge of the wall. The wall itself seems a bit out of place as well, considering everything that's in it's interior.

The Samurai facesets are the ones I was talking about, they don't fit with everything else at all. 

Say, may we have this discussion in the video comments from now on? I'd rather that this be a thread for people who also want to talk about their games, not just multiple pages of us talking about your game.

Edited by PowerBurger