???nOBodY???

[VX/Ace] Advanced Collision Detection v1.2

Advanced Collision Detection

by ???nOBodY???

Introduction
# This script aims to extend the default engine's control over collision detection.
# Simply put when two bitmaps cross paths, the .dll takes over for RM, so that it's done
# faster and more efficiently than if RM were to do so itself (by a lot).

Features
# -Pixel-based Collision Detection
# -Rectangle-based Collision Detection

Script
Latest Version
[VX] Advanced Collision Detection v1.2 (pastebin link)
[ACE] Advanced Collision Detection v1.2 (pastebin link)

CollisionDetection.dll_v1.2_recompiledBy_estriole

Old Versions
[all deprecated]

Author's Note
# *extra thanks to Tsukihime, poccil, & Glitchfinder
# *this script requires the CollisionDetection.dll to be in the project root directory

# *extra extra thanks to estriole for recompiling the .dll
#
# *It's free for noncommercial useage. If it's for a commercial project, contact me.
#
# I've nothing further to say, other than enjoy, and leave any questions, comments, concerns, or
# suggestions by posting below.

Edited by ???nOBodY???

Would this work with any parallax mapping script + pixel movement too? 

Is the process automated or will I need to use the provided script calls and code in my own collision system?

A demo would be helpful, at least for me. :P

Edit:

So, I tried it, and it fails to load the dll, even if it is in the project's root folder, like the instructions says we need to put it.

Using the ACE version on the ACE engine, btw.

Edited by Sixth

i download the demo. when i start the game:

Script 'Collisions' line 126: RuntimeError occurred.

LoadLibrary: CollisionDetection.dll

so basically it's cannot work even from demo...

i guess it might because the way you compile your dll?

try compile with Multi-threaded (/MT) checked at the Runtime Library settings...

I'm sure it has more to do with how the script loads it, though why my computer runs it without a hitch is a mystery to me. I'll try changing things up using dlopen instead, and see if that fixes the issue.

Edit: Which version of windows are you guys using?

I managed to find this:

Windows 8.1 64bit => bug
xp sp3 32bit => same bug
vista sp2 64bit => same bug
windows 7 64bit => Functional
windows 8 32/64bit => same bug

along with:

even when the DLL seems to be in the right place, it just can't load the DLL. By removing the scripted error message, I get a Runtime Error, LoadLibrary, regarding IsConnected = Win32API.new('System/ps3_controller.dll', 'ConnectedController', '', 'n'), or similar for the 360 controller line. I think it's applied to all the Win32API calls though, not just the "is this connected" check.

. . .

Edited by ???nOBodY???

I use windows 7 64 bit

may i ask what your windows which works?

do you have the source code of the dll... maybe i can try compiling it like my

EST CS2 - SCRIPT CONTROL dll. (which i know work fine so far in most computer...).

Edited by estriole

windows 8.1 64bit~

Hopefully you can get this working on all versions of windows. It would be useless if only one segment of players could use it =[

Edited by seita

may i ask what your windows which works?

It's also windows 7 64bit.

I use visual studio 2008 professional for pretty much everything not java or android, so
that's what I used to compile.

Edit: Sounds like it's probably the .dll. I found this, which described pretty much the same problem.
If anyone knows of any good compilers for C++ .dlls that will work with Ace, or specific settings for VisualStudio2008Professional,
let me know.
Edited by ???nOBodY???

here's the working dll i compile using my method :D.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aihncrzh1bm0l15/CollisionDetection.dll?dl=0

i compile your source code with microsoft visual C++ 2010 express...

but i change a bit of it. (because it throw error when compiling)

see spoiler on what i changed.

1) #include "stdafx.h" throw error. so i comment it. (i assume it's correct to comment it because i see // two line above it)

2) i add the header file (COLLISSIONDETECTION.h) to the solution...

which contain: (because i also try to extern c inside the cpp before and encounter error).

#define COLLISIONDETECTION_DLL __declspec(dllexport)

extern "C" COLLISIONDETECTION_DLL
int Bmp_checkIntersection(long object1, long object2, int x1, int y1, int x2, int y2, int minR, int minG, int minB, int minA, int minOverlaps);
bool Rect_checkIntersection(int x1, int y1, int w1, int h1, int x2, int y2, int w2, int h2, int minWidth, int minHeight);
int Rect_getIntersectionY(int x1, int y1, int w1, int h1, int x2, int y2, int w2, int h2);
int Rect_getIntersectionX(int x1, int y1, int w1, int h1, int x2, int y2, int w2, int h2);
int Rect_getIntersectionW(int x1, int y1, int w1, int h1, int x2, int y2, int w2, int h2);
int Rect_getIntersectionH(int x1, int y1, int w1, int h1, int x2, int y2, int w2, int h2);

3) for the configuration... i use default... the one that might differ maybe:

general > configuration type = Dynamic library (.dll)

c/c++ > code generation > runtime library = Multi threaded (/MT)

then when compiling the solution it succeed without error. then i copy the dll to the demo folder. and it load the dll fine.

the female npc will change the big stone event transparency when she touch it...

but there's an error when i talk with the 'male' npc which show two picture and will transform to a girl when two picture collides.

undefined method "pictures" for nil class. so i peek at your script and change this:

def get_picture_spriteset(pic_id)
    @spriteset.picture_sprites.each do |pspr|
      #next unless pspr
      return pspr if pspr.picture.number == pic_id
    end
    nil
  end

to

def get_picture_spriteset(pic_id)
    @spriteset.picture_sprites.each do |pspr|
      next unless pspr
      return pspr if pspr.picture.number == pic_id
    end
    nil
  end

and it works like a charm :D.

credit tsukihime for the tutorial to use dll in RM :D.

Edited by estriole

Confirmed to be working in my system as well.

Updated the Ace script and added the recompiled dll to the main post.

Thanks, estriole!

As a sidenote, my guess is that the difference between visual studio 2008 and 2010 might have been part of it, though the

error when compiling you speak of, is a header file that's included with the template I used. I wonder if it could have been

part of the problem, when I see the word "exclude"...

stdafx.h

// stdafx.h : include file for standard system include files,
// or project specific include files that are used frequently, but
// are changed infrequently
//

#pragma once

#include "targetver.h"

#define WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN             // Exclude rarely-used stuff from Windows headers
// Windows Header Files:
#include <windows.h>
Edited by ???nOBodY???

glad it work out... maybe other people can also try the recompiled dll to make sure it's working in all machine.

also... maybe this could also become a hint why error in 2008...

in 2010... i use it's wizard to create the solutions. (i follow step by step from tsukihime tutorial :D).

below taken from tsukihime post

If you are going to build your DLL through the IDE, you should set up your project so that the IDE automatically builds a DLL.
1. Create a new project (ctrl+shift+N)
2. Select win32 console application
3. Choose a name, hit OK

Another wizard will come up.
4. Next
5. Select "DLL" and "Empty Project"
6. Finish

and there's no header file in that empty project. so i need to create my own header which contain extern c for all the method in cpp.

so maybe there's a problem in your template header like you suspected.

2008's setup is pretty much the same. I didn't choose the "empty project" option, and may have ended up

with a bunch of random fluff. The header's comment, "// Exclude rarely-used stuff from Windows headers",

kinda raises some flags too...

Oh boy! I really hope I can get this to work where Cidiomar's script failed me. Looking forward to experimenting ^-^

EDIT:
This is awesome! is there any way I can call this from script? I'm new to scripting so I'm a bit lost. What I'm trying to do is basically like. $game_player.collide_with(x) #I'd like X to be an array with most events on a map eventually.

What I'm aiming for is to make this complement XAS to give XAS pixel perfect combat. precision. The way Xas works is by calling an sprite animation, they call the function make_pose. So I'm assuming all I have to do is check for collision with the event when the attack pose of the player is triggered.

Any help appriciated ^^

GREAT WORK on this script and the .DLL!

Edited by Mireneye

@Tdanger

This script is not an automated plug-and-play script, it is more like a developer tool.

It gives you ways to check for pixel collision in different ways, but you have to set that up yourself using the provided new methods from the script.

@Mireneye

You can call the collision check from the 'update' method in Scene_Map.

Iterate the events on the map, than inside the iteration, perform a check for the pixel collision between the player and the events.

This way, it would check against all events on the map.

It would look something like this:

$game_map.events.each do |event|
    next if event.nil?
    evt_spr1 = SceneManager.scene.get_event_spriteset(0) # the player
    evt_spr2 = SceneManager.scene.get_event_spriteset(event.id) # the event
    next if evt_spr1.nil? || evt_spr2.nil?
    if evt_spr1.pixel_collide?(evt_spr2,10,10,10,10,3,3,1)
      # Do something here! This triggers if the player collides with any event.
    end
  end
Depending on where you call this, you might need to enter some other safety checks too, like checking if the current scene is Scene_Map or not, etc.

I haven't tested this yet, but I tested the player VS picture collision and that works perfectly fine for me. I tested that inside a custom script too, not by using the provided script calls.

I might have messed up the arguments or their orders, just reading that description makes my head spin, so I just made them up, edit them yourself as you see fit.

Well, try it out, see if it works or not.

@Mireneye

The methods are written into the Game_Interpreter class, so if you added them to whatever class you're trying to call them from, they'd probably

work just fine. Cidiomar's Ace-only .dll is the main reason I wrote this, to be honest, lol.

@Sixth

Sorry that the header made your head spin, xd.

@Tdanger

If you copy the script over, and copy the .dll over, you'll have access to script calls you can make from within events for pixel collisions.

If you wanted this functionality built-in to custom scripts, now we're talking patches and modifications.

I tried to use this script to make a pixel based collision effect for tools in an ABS system, and it works well with simple event graphics.

But the animation check won't work.

The method 'getAnimationSpriteFrame' got some misnamed instance variables ('@animation_sprite' is actually '@ani_sprite' in VX Ace, same with every '@animation_xxxx' variables, so it's not '@animation' but '@ani').

Changing the names got rid of the NoMethod error, but whenever I try to get a collision check using an animation instead of event graphic, the game freezes, no errors, just a plain "Not responding" error forever.

I wonder if I missed something or is that function is bugged or not working at all? 

I tried to look in the demo you made to see if there is an example for the animation collision check, but there isn't, unfortunately.

Did you test that function? Did it work for you?

Oops... It's not just you. I never got the animation check to function correctly, though I might

revisit it in the near future. I feel like I know why it wasn't working, but I need to do some more

tests to figure out if I'm right. To be honest, I completely forgot that I left that in.

Edited by ???nOBodY???