Takeo212

Need Opinions On Luna Engine Please?

I searched the site but found nothing on this. I also searched the web and found nothing of what I was actually wanting.

Steam also has mixed reviews, so I want to have a small discussion or hear peoples personal views on this.

(If there is a topic, I apologies. My College has crappy search filters, so it may have been blocked out)

What I want:

Personal opinions is all. I was interested in buying the Luna Engine from Steam, but at £23 ($30) I want to get feedback before I go ahead and buy it (Im making a non-comercial game, and my funds are limited)

I have found several images and videos on WHAT the engine can do, but nothing on HOW to do it.

I can't find any images of what the engine even looks like, how it works, ect.

Steam reviews are mixed. Some found it very easy, others say it's still hard for people without Ruby experience (I'm still learning) and that the provided scripts arent even fully compatible and need manual editing, so I honestly don't know what to think.

Is it worth it? Can anyone maybe post a small statement on how the combinations work, maybe even a screenshot or two on how the actual "work area" looks so I know I'm not suddenly ending up with a notepad full of coding? I would love to invest in getting it and making my own HUD's and menus, but I would appreciate all honest feedback :)

(I also found this the most relevant place for this question/discussion, so sorry if it's in the wrong area)

It was smart of you to ask the community first before making a decision. I purchased the Luna Engine a while back, so I'll share my thoughts. Here's the long answer:

Firstly I'd like to note that the mixed reviews on Steam were likely from people who didn't realize what they were buying and hadn't done research on what Luna Engine does. They probably expected some kind of magical third-party program that would make game development suddenly easier, but in reality they'd be getting a series of scripts that make the creation of custom content more simple for users who don't have the resources or skills to create everything from scratch.

The engine is NOT a third-party program or an executable tool, it is a set of scripts that can be modified in the RPG Maker program which allows you to customize your GUI for each of the given scenarios (i.e., menu, combat, etc).

It is assumed that the people who purchase Luna Engine have a basic understanding of RPG Maker, though this does not mean it is the right resource for every developer..

That said, you will need to know how to edit the scripts that are provided in the package you purchase. The scripts are documented well enough for you to get a grasp on what you need to do in order to accomplish customizing your GUIs. It's probably unsafe to post a screenshot of it, because it's mostly just the script editor in RPG Maker containing the code for the scripts.

Ideally you'd use this if you wanted to create custom menus for your entire game. It's a lot of work, so it wouldn't be fair to expect Luna Engine to handle everything for you -- it won't. There are other scripts you can find that allows you to edit menus, but I feel Luna Engine is probably the best if you intend on having custom work done for you game.

Here's the short answer:

You need to edit the scripts you are provided after you purchase Luna Engine. Follow the instructions they give you so you install things properly, then use the documentation in the scripts to edit your GUIs. It's worth the purchase if you intend on making a fully custom set of GUIs for you game without needing to pay someone else to do the scripting for you. Don't get it unless you are able to commit to the project you're working on for a long time.

Also, RPGM-Web has a forum board specifically for the Luna Engine, here's the link: http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/forum/105-luna-engine-boards/

Edited by CVincent

Oooh, firstly, thank you for the fast response. I really appreciate your feedback!

I've seen a few custom menus, ect scripts, but assuming alot of people use them, I wanted something more personal, without having to continuously pay for someone to make each and every thing needed. In the long run, and future projects, I thought Luna Engine would be useful.

Ahh, a bunch of scripts makes sense. I thought it was a sort of program that mixed scripts together, but having the base scripts is helpful enough too!

I've taken a note of that site too, so I'll be definitely checking that out before purchase, though the more I look into it, the more i'm eager to purchase - but due to my lack of scripting abilities, the more worried I get too lol.

Is the compatibility between the scripts good?

One main review that came up for this was the issue with them not working together on some scripts. I assume not, but since I can't personally script myself, I would have an issue with that.

Again, thanks for the quick feedback! I'm really wanting to buy this next pay day if nothing to dire is said :3

No worries, glad my post helped!

For script compatibility, their Steam page says that Yanfly's and Yami's scripts are supported, though not all other systems are yet. You could always request a compatibility patch if you ask them, I actually had some troubles getting the scripts I was using to work properly, but after some minor tweaking it worked out fine.

I think the review you read was probably another person assuming that it would work with everything. Chances are Luna Engine would have problems with any other scripts that change the GUI and haven't been directly supported yet.

Hope it works out for you, and maybe some others can chime in on how they feel about it.

I'll definetely be looking into it more, and hopefully not have to many issues with the compatibility of them all.

I won't be getting it for a few weeks (if I do) so I hope to hear more opinions and experiences before then :)

Hopefully by then too, I'll have a basic knowledge to be able to edit them myself if needed :3

They do have a demo that allows you to change the battle screen.  Do yourself a favor and have a look at it.  I'm guessing that the full version will be comparable in difficulty, and if you can understand the demo, you can understand the full program.

Personal Opinions about the Luna Engine:

Visual / Graphical Capabilities: Excellent. They really want to showcase what they are talking about. Needless to say it was done by good scripters as well.

Compatibility: Poor. The drawback of making a script engine like this still flows down to the fact that if it is compatible with most script or not. Sure it covers compatibility with known used scripts today, but that doesn't cover every user's probable script used.

Configuration: Fair. Someone who just learned RPG Maker should not, I repeat, should not use Luna Engine because there's still that prerequisite that you know how to dabble with scripts. Hell, they don't even have a CHM or a help file to help those people who bought it. A 1 Page help file doesn't suffice, some users has a lot of questions in mind, and that is the help of a full manual.

Availability: Fair. Not all people would shell out money or does have money. It is not free. Therefore that means you have to buy it. What is free in this world? But still, the reason I said it is Fair is because the ones who made the script probably poured a lot of effort on that project so asking people to buy the engine isn't a stretch, you can do it, why not.

Overall Rating: 6 / 10. This is saying that the engine is good, but for me there's still a lot of resources or pools of custom menu out there that are far pretty, visualized, easy to manage and compatible free / compatible - workable script out there and FREE. For example, Moghunter's scripts are free and the menu is beautiful.

If you want a custom menu that you really want done, that's where Luna Engine goes.

But all the problem Luna Engine has...well... 

That is all solved by Destiny Engine, sadly. One more thing is that it is FREE.

What I want:

Didn't you check the steam page? - The screenshots show that it's a bunch of scripts which overwrite the default ones?

Perhaps the expectation was a GUI or wizard and the trailers just show the flashy bits - which is basically custom art by Archeia and the scripting is by Neon Black. 

Now call me cynical but they are both offering commission systems for Luna Engine scripts and art in terms of menu design, etc. 

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/34968-open-archeias-art-shop/

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/36185-open-cps-scripts-aka-neon-blacks-stuff/

You might want to read the bit specifically about Luna services in Blacks post. 

In summary it's not a magic bullet to GUI creation.

Also let's say in the future you decide to spend money ...

1) Scripter and artist doesn't have access / knowledge of working with Luna

Edited by AlliedG

I never thought it would be a magical creative fix, it was just, the only images i found of it briefly where the same menus over and over (the ones used in steam images was all) 

though, my internet access has only been in college so I never have the time for an in depth search and their filters are horrible...

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I really appreciate them :)

I've seen a few various menu's around that look really nice, but also, I'm sure they'll be used by pretty much every non-commercial game maker, so I wanted to try something more personal.

Personal Opinions about the Luna Engine:

Visual / Graphical Capabilities: Excellent. They really want to showcase what they are talking about. Needless to say it was done by good scripters as well.

Compatibility: Poor. The drawback of making a script engine like this still flows down to the fact that if it is compatible with most script or not. Sure it covers compatibility with known used scripts today, but that doesn't cover every user's probable script used.

Configuration: Fair. Someone who just learned RPG Maker should not, I repeat, should not use Luna Engine because there's still that prerequisite that you know how to dabble with scripts. Hell, they don't even have a CHM or a help file to help those people who bought it. A 1 Page help file doesn't suffice, some users has a lot of questions in mind, and that is the help of a full manual.

Availability: Fair. Not all people would shell out money or does have money. It is not free. Therefore that means you have to buy it. What is free in this world? But still, the reason I said it is Fair is because the ones who made the script probably poured a lot of effort on that project so asking people to buy the engine isn't a stretch, you can do it, why not.

Overall Rating: 6 / 10. This is saying that the engine is good, but for me there's still a lot of resources or pools of custom menu out there that are far pretty, visualized, easy to manage and compatible free / compatible - workable script out there and FREE. For example, Moghunter's scripts are free and the menu is beautiful.

If you want a custom menu that you really want done, that's where Luna Engine goes.

But all the problem Luna Engine has...well... 

That is all solved by Destiny Engine, sadly. One more thing is that it is FREE.

That's surprising seeing such a low rating, but I understand what you mean. Destiny Engine? Is that the same thing (roughly) as Luna or something different? (I'll google it tomoro in college to get more info, just was wondering)

What I want:

Didn't you check the steam page? - The screenshots show that it's a bunch of scripts which overwrite the default ones?

Perhaps the expectation was a GUI or wizard and the trailers just show the flashy bits - which is basically custom art by Archeia and the scripting is by Neon Black. 

Now call me cynical but they are both offering commission systems for Luna Engine scripts and art in terms of menu design, etc. 

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/34968-open-archeias-art-shop/

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/36185-open-cps-scripts-aka-neon-blacks-stuff/

You might want to read the bit specifically about Luna services in Blacks post. 

In summary it's not a magic bullet to GUI creation.

Also let's say in the future you decide to spend money ...

1) Scripter and artist doesn't have access / knowledge of working with Luna

Oooh, I've seen Archeias' art shop around  before, but haven't seen Neon Blacks before. Thanks, I'll takr note of those links and see what I can get done :) I'll prob be needing them for future projects!

That's good though that you can get scripts to work with it. That makes me feel happier :)

They do have a demo that allows you to change the battle screen.  Do yourself a favor and have a look at it.  I'm guessing that the full version will be comparable in difficulty, and if you can understand the demo, you can understand the full program.

@Brackev: I never knew there was a demo :o I'll be looking into that when I get better internet for sure! Thanks!

Destiny Engine is far different and should I say way broader than Luna Engine, which makes it more superior when it comes out.

Advantages:

Destiny Engine does not only help you make your own custom menu but also:

• Custom Shop
  • Custom Animated Title Screen
  • Custom Animated / Non Animated Splash Screen
  • Battle HUD
  • Battle Effects
  • Battle Related Custom Sprite Actions

And there are more things to be added in the future. It may take some time, but when Destiny Engine comes out, expect a surprise how it is far easier to control and suit it to your own taste. I am confident it will, as it is almost compatible with any battle system. And the best thing I can say about it is that Destiny is FREE, and any custom thing you want Soulpour to do or update or any custom thing about the script / support is also free, you don't have to give him any dollar at all.

Hi there Takeo, I am one of the makers of the Luna Engine but I wanted to clarify something :)

No, Luna Engine's point is not to rely on scripts that has predetermined UI like MOGs (if we follow design AND typography rules, I would argue they're not beautiful at all) with limited options and functionality. But MOG's scripts are following a different mindset, he's making a set of scripts which the common folk would love to have since their job is cut out for them which is an awesome endeavour.

However, a lot of people seem to be missing the point. Also your comment about the helpfile is highly outdated now as the script comments does all the talking for the helpfile. There's also some tutorials and there is not much you can teach people on how to make something if they themselves are not sure what kind of layout they wanted to do to make their games standout. We also update it (now at 1.04) as much as we can and trying to streamline the process even further. Just like most software programs!

The reason we made Luna Engine is because there is not a single script out there that gives an artist with creative freedom to do whatever they want. If Destiny engine (IIRC which I'm pretty sure has been released after Luna Engine's conception because I spent a lot of years looking for something like Luna Engine) does the same thing, well done! That is exactly what we wanted ages ago and more options are always welcome. :)

Destiny Engine is far different and should I say way broader than Luna Engine, which makes it more superior when it comes out.

Advantages:

Destiny Engine does not only help you make your own custom menu but also:
  • Custom Shop
  • Custom Animated Title Screen
  • Custom Animated / Non Animated Splash Screen
  • Battle HUD

We already do this and in fact, we have added a new add-on that allows you to make your own custom scenes without having to write from scratch and compatible with Luna. I'm not trying to start a war/I'm better than you scenario but I wanted to clarify some misconceptions you have now of the engine as opposed to its beta version.

Im also offering commission work for Luna Engine. One of my examples (made for my own game) can be found here

https://youtu.be/ueS7WvCpoDw

Oh wow, I must admit, I really like that menu style and layout. It looks really, really nice!

That layout is based on my Factory menu demo which you can also easily modify.  :D

Edited by Archeia

I looked at the highly updated version and it looks nice, to be honest. I know that Luna Engine right now maybe best bet for some, as of course we already know the reasons. I am open to rechanging my views, so don't worry if I give it 6 / 10 for the mean time. 

No, Luna Engine's point is not to rely on scripts that has predetermined UI like MOGs (if we follow design AND typography rules, I would argue they're not beautiful at all) with limited options and functionality. But MOG's scripts are following a different mindset, he's making a set of scripts which the common folk would love to have since their job is cut out for them which is an awesome endeavour.

Predetermined UIs can be just bonuses, but I've seen two already for Luna. The reason I mentioned this is because it gives your users ideas of what they can do with the Engine, rather than saying it can make them modify their own menus. Of course, this is just a plus, not a necessity.

The reason we made Luna Engine is because there is not a single script out there that gives an artist with creative freedom to do whatever they want. If Destiny engine (IIRC which I'm pretty sure has been released after Luna Engine's conception because I spent a lot of years looking for something like Luna Engine) does the same thing, well done! That is exactly what we wanted ages ago and more options are always welcome. 

Destiny Engine's reason for creation is basically of the same thing, however done simply and approachable to users. It makes you create different things in it that would allow scripters and artists alike to have 100% freedom how they want their UIs to work. Don't worry, I am not saying one person should not use your engine, but rather take it as a way of how it might be better as time goes by. Who knows, if Luna will be able to do the things I longed to do, then isn't that magnificent?

Predetermined UIs can be just bonuses, but I've seen two already for Luna. The reason I mentioned this is because it gives your users ideas of what they can do with the Engine, rather than saying it can make them modify their own menus. Of course, this is just a plus, not a necessity.

The reason we made Luna Engine is because there is not a single script out there that gives an artist with creative freedom to do whatever they want. If Destiny engine (IIRC which I'm pretty sure has been released after Luna Engine's conception because I spent a lot of years looking for something like Luna Engine) does the same thing, well done! That is exactly what we wanted ages ago and more options are always welcome. 

Destiny Engine's reason for creation is basically of the same thing, however done simply and approachable to users. It makes you create different things in it that would allow scripters and artists alike to have 100% freedom how they want their UIs to work. Don't worry, I am not saying one person should not use your engine, but rather take it as a way of how it might be better as time goes by. Who knows, if Luna will be able to do the things I longed to do, then isn't that magnificent?

We have over 3-4 examples for the UI demo (Ys, Factory, Etrian and the Default Luna layout) which I think is a sufficient amount. They've been there since the beginning.

And of course, just like Yanfly, I do wish that people would make alternates of the same thing to solve the compatibility issue, because let's face it, it's impossible to do compatibility for every script out there. I don't even want to touch Victor's because he does things way differently.  But my reply is mostly that I don't like how some seems misinformed as to what we're actually aiming for even when I have wrote the reasoning for Luna Engine in my site. It would be cool if you could finish your iteration and I hope if there's a newer RM series, more people will do the same thing (although I highly doubt it because of the sheer amount of work).

Edited by Archeia

Ahh, yes, compatibility issues. Well, I can see that Luna is doing a lot of compatibility fixes and that's a good thing. If you don't like to dabble with Victor's scripts, that's your discretion and people should understand that, if they are going to use Luna, in its case. If it somehow is compatible, then its good. I went back to the site and read the new things in it and I understand that I was wrong on that part. Well, I still commend Luna because it is not an easy thing to do in the first place and people still benefits a lot on that project. I think the OP can gauge for himself rather than talking my word for it, no?

For my project, yeah, its nearly in completion. It may take some time to prepare the documentation and other parts as I am working on it alone, but I'll get there. For its compatibility, right now it is automatically compatible with Yanfly, BM, Victor, Theo and Mog. If you are going to ask me how that is possible, that is because I experimented in each of their script to see if there is an error, change that and make that compatible for that certain script. Takes a lot of time, but produces good results. With Luna Engine's belt of scripters, I highly doubt it isn't compatible with Victor, given that they can make a fix with just a little push.

Edited by Soulpour777

Ahh, yes, compatibility issues. Well, I can see that Luna is doing a lot of compatibility fixes and that's a good thing. If you don't like to dabble with Victor's scripts, that's your discretion and people should understand that, if they are going to use Luna, in its case. If it somehow is compatible, then its good. I went back to the site and read the new things in it and I understand that I was wrong on that part. Well, I still commend Luna because it is not an easy thing to do in the first place and people still benefits a lot on that project. I think the OP can gauge for himself rather than talking my word for it, no?

For my project, yeah, its nearly in completion. It may take some time to prepare the documentation and other parts as I am working on it alone, but I'll get there. For its compatibility, right now it is automatically compatible with Yanfly, BM, Victor, Theo and Mog. If you are going to ask me how that is possible, that is because I experimented in each of their script to see if there is an error, change that and make that compatible for that certain script. Takes a lot of time, but produces good results. With Luna Engine's belt of scripters, I highly doubt it isn't compatible with Victor, given that they can make a fix with just a little push.

Yeah it's just OP is asking for opinions :)

Ergh, another thing, Neonblack is just a volunteer that wanted to do some scripts for it and not really active. But it's just technically Yami doing all the programming who's in uni. I just do very small fixes (and at one point I even had to ask you lol). It's why updates and compatibility fixes comes in scarce haha. And man I don't have that much patience, more power to you bro.

Edited by Archeia

Versatility wise, I encourage people to use Luna now, it looks really good, don't get me wrong. To me, its the solution whenever someone makes a game and whenever we play them, we see the same thing over and over again. With Luna, we see different visuals over each game. 

Yami is a very good scripter, I highly respect his ability and I am sure he can understand Victor's scripts as much as Victor himself does. Though to be honest I myself don't like to take on much of his scripts because 4 of his scripts are still alienating my scope of scripting abilities.

Keep upgrading Luna though, ya never know how many people would need it in the future.