Lord Vectra

Do books matter in games?

Books  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Elder Scrolls yes, Fallout yes, Dead Space yes, Amnesia yes, pretty much anything else, no.

The main problem with books is pacing. I don't want to be interrupted whilst adventuring or shooting to sit and read a short story. Yeah, thanks Deus Ex.

In a series where you can collect books, and make your own pacing though, it's great. It adds to the lore, immersion, collectivity, and gives the player cool moments to sit and read by the fire. ...In those that you can't, I usually say, screw off, you'll do a lot better with an audio log you can listen to podcast style while playing a game. 'Optional' is a key word here, I don't buy a game to read.

How much reading are you talking? Full-blown novel?

like the ones in oblivion and Skyrim.

Elder Scrolls yes, Fallout yes, Dead Space yes, Amnesia yes, pretty much anything else, no.

The main problem with books is pacing. I don't want to be interrupted whilst adventuring or shooting to sit and read a short story. Yeah, thanks Deus Ex.

In a series where you can collect books, and make your own pacing though, it's great. It adds to the lore, immersion, collectivity, and gives the player cool moments to sit and read by the fire. ...In those that you can't, I usually say, screw off, you'll do a lot better with an audio log you can listen to podcast style while playing a game. 'Optional' is a key word here, I don't buy a game to read.

okay

you have 2 different questions up there one saying do books matter in game and the other saying do you read books in game

i read books in pretty much every game but i don't think they really matter even in elder scrolls most of the story is told during the events.

books just help add more depth to a story that you don't have time to explain in most cases. 

For games like Amnesia, where you have the option, yea, i read the books. Plus the plot isn't that incredibly obvious unless you read the books-- like, there's not a bunch of long cinematic scenes with dialogue and stuff like that. So the books were for (really) learning more about the plot. Not for just adding more text that you don't really need, imo.

98% of the time, though, i'm an impatient a**hole (lol), and i really don't like reading game books. I don't want to be interrupted either-- to read-- while i'm in the heat of something. Plus the way i play, it's not so much about immersing myself as it is about stress relief; I can play an action game for hours, but reading a plot-heavy game is just something i've never been into. Maybe that's something to consider as well (the gaming habits of your players).