This script allows you to take a full picture of any map of your choice.

You can also toggle what should appear on the map (sprites, events, vehicles, player).

Download

Get it at Hime Works

Add-ons:

Region Overlay - draw map regions

Passage Overlay - draw tile passage settings

Screenshots

9Aqo0s.png jGd9Ds.jpg IGEFGs.jpg 08069s.jpg

How to Use

Instructions are at the top of the script.

In short:

Press F6 to take a picture of the current screen.

Press F7 to take a picture of the current map.

Images are exported to "screenshot" and "mapshot" folders in your game folder by default.

Check the configuration to see what kinds of options there are.

Credits

Cidiomar - for autotile and shadow implementation as well as the bitmap exporter.

Cremno - GDI+ interface

Moon - auto-tile info

Mephistox - clarifying some math formulas

Edited by Tsukihime

So is this a total original script or an upgrade to Omegas7 Map Saver?

I like the fact that I don't have to do hardly any pre-work to use it.

Should be original (for VXA anyways. XP already has this)

omegas7 map saver takes snapshots of the map and compiles it into a single image, so things like parallax mapping, fog, weather and other effects are naturally supported.

This one grabs the tiles directly and draws them on an image, so will need more work just to add those in.

Any suggestions on how to make it easier to use would be great.

I'm thinking of showing a number processing dialog so you can choose which map you want.

Edited by Tsukihime

Damage tile highlighting has been implemented.

I just copied a bunch of methods over from Game_Map.

I still don't want to subclass it because it isn't really an instance of Game_Map.

fFd0v.png

Although I should be doing bug-fixes, adding features sounds more fun right now.

Edited by Tsukihime

Script updated.

Fixed a bug where the walls were not being drawn correctly.

But there still seems to be an issue with walls...

ex: Myl9Ms.jpg

Edited by Tsukihime

My game crashes when I press F6 although I turn on the "crashes" option u.u

Default project, w/o any other script

File format: tga

The file is saved, but the game still crashing.

Edited by IhToN

I've fixed the issue with one of the wall tiles. Moon pointed out the issue and sent me the correct tiles.

I've also fixed a major issue with tile drawing: I didn't treat tiles with alpha channel different from tiles without. This was sort of the reason why shadows were being cut off for unknown reasons.

Counter tiles still haven't been fixed though.

It does not support parallax mapping yet, but it will be added later when I figure out how parallax maps work.

I would also like to add the option of having a "current" screenshot of the map.

That is, after all events have been processed. Similar to snap_to_bitmap function, but it provides all of the option I've provided.

And also have the option of choosing whether to only save the portion of the map that you can actually see (based on your game resolution). That way, the script doubles as an in-game screenshot taker.

I am constantly refactoring the script so if anyone's trying to follow it, you might notice it is constantly changing...

My game crashes when I press F6 although I turn on the "crashes" option u.u

Default project, w/o any other script

File format: tga

The file is saved, but the game still crashing.

dll issue I believe.

The crash option does not handle the tga export option since tga export relies completely on external libraries.

So I made it so it does. Now you have a "crash format": if it crashes the first time around, just set it to true and then choose bmp or png (since there's no tga support here). It's slower for now...but it gets the job done.

Edited by Tsukihime

Moon has reported another error with autotiles (waterfall) and has also sent the correct indices.

I've added a new screenshot feature as well.

Now there are two options for image capture:

-screenshot, which takes an image of the current game screen based on the window resolution relative to the player's current location. Though the dimensions are off by 1....

-mapshot, which takes an image of the specified map (default current game map)

Note that the screenshot is based on what I've written, so it does not capture everything that you see on the screen. You should use Graphics.snap_to_bitmap for that.

I am currently rewriting many of these methods into their own modules for re-use.

Edited by Tsukihime

I have added support for very simple parallaxes.

I am still not sure how multiple parallax layers are done because I haven't looked into it.

Let me know what kinds of issues there are.

The nature of default parallax is that the game automatically moves the parallax if you're scrolling the map, if the parallax is too small.

This isn't much of an issue in-game or in a screenshot, since you won't really notice that the same image is being used over and over again, but when you're taking a map-shot, it does make a difference.

Any ideas how to deal with it? Currently it looks really bad for map-shots. I can just repeat the image again and again like a wallpaper, but that wouldn't flow nicely.

As usual, press F6 to take a screenshot

Press F7 to take a map shot.

Edited by Tsukihime

I found a bug.

Finalspot.png

Background image does not repeat properly along the map.

It also shows invisible charas and things that haven't been switched on. (The girl in the sky top)

And last, but definettly not the least, the torches have been misplaced and are not on the edges as they should be.

Edited by MISTER BIG T

Parallax images I can't really do much about due to how the game handles it.

The parallax is basically drawn to fit the screen, and moves with the screen. That's why you can have the same small parallax on a large map.

Even if I repeat it, it will still look inconsistent and weird (kind of like randomly tiling your wall with the same image).

For the hidden events, yes, I haven't gotten around to actually processing events.

Torches, ya, I think it's the same with all of the other misplaced tiles. Haven't looked into it yet though.

This is a Gem! I used to use one for VX, but obviously it's not up to date. THIS However is! Thanks so much for this Tsu, just like your other work I have fiddled with, i'm sure this will be just as great.

Ok, I have figured out some issues.

1: I have drawn everything assuming an origin in the upper-left corner of the bitmap. While this is not an issue for 32x32 images, if you're working with anything larger than that, it'll look wrong. It seems like large bitmaps have their origins drawn at the center.

This explains the torches and doors and stuff

Though, it looks like the characters with $ sign are still not drawn right

HgJ02.jpg

I am currently optimizing the script. There are a lot of places where redundant computations are being performed, such as calculating the width, height, start_x, start_y, end_x, and end_y. These are never going to change after you start drawing, so I pre-processed them before I started drawing. While it doesn't save that much (maybe only a couple thousand or so computation steps), it seemed kind of silly to have to calculate start_y and end_y for every row of the map.

Vehicles are now available.

Edited by Tsukihime

So are you saying I shouldn't use this on maps larger than 32x32? I'm currently in prototyping and preproduction phase, so i'm not going to break anything by trying, but i'm curious what your forseeable plans are for this script.

Thanks!

I meant the tiles.

By default, tiles are 32x32 pixels. But you can have bigger characters like doors or large monsters. These larger objects have their origins centered at (width/2, height/2) because otherwise it would look weird if the origin was the top-left.

The size of your map doesn't matter as long as it's not something like 500x500

Edited by Tsukihime

Some suggestions for future updates and features, if you're interested...

* Screenshot while talking to someone doesn't save the message window.

* Screenshots in battle would be awesome, but F6 and F7 are also used in Yanfly's script to do debug effects, so there would have to be different input for battle screen shots.

It's not a real screenshot. It's the same picture except centered around a specific position.

This is for things that don't need the entire map, such as a teleport script with a map preview.

And the keys you can just change in the configuration at the top.

I can't do anything about others choosing to use the same keys, as there's only so many keys available.

Edited by Tsukihime

#1 - Is the "Crash After Screenshot" Fixable?

#2 - Shouldn't it be exporting as PNG? Mines exports as "Truevision TGA Image" (Some Apple Quicktime related extension it would seem)

#3 - Will you support overlay/parallax mapping? Not built in parallax, i'm talking out of game parallax. Perhaps comparability with http://yamiworld.wordpress.com/rgss3/field-scripts/overlay-mapping/ So it reads the files and adds them in the order Yami's script does? That'd be fantastic, cause right now if you use Parallaxing (In this format) all you get is a broken map for both the map and screenshot.