Saeryen Kalador Games presents...

2093k9y.jpg

Katrina, now captain of her family ship. Maia, still waiting for her parents to come home. Kali, wrapped up in her luxurious life...

Catty Lands is an upcoming fantasy adventure game made with RPG Maker VX Ace. It takes place in a world very unlike our own; a flat world surrounded by impenetrable fog. Here, the out of the ordinary is merely the everyday. This world is the Catty Lands.

Currently, this game is in the phase of story production. A cast of characters (subject to growth) has been created, as well as many locations. It will likely take one to three years for total completion, particularly as I am the sole developer. This is planned to be a commercial release.

Story:

Eighteen years ago, a rebel group sought to dethrone Queen Almira of the Catty Lands, due to her lack of innate magical power. They succeeded and placed one of their own on the throne, a girl of immense magical power known thereafter as the Cat Queen of Spades, with her true name unknown to any. Believing herself worthy of absolutely anything, the new queen has since ruled the land with an iron fist.

You play as three characters in Catty Lands: Katrina, the young captain of her family ship, Maia, a common girl from a seaside town, and Kali, a rich young lady who has been spoiled into snobbishness. Thrown together by unlikely circumstances, these three girls will end up with the fate of the world in their hands, and will each grow and change throughout their extraordinary journey. Can these unlikely heroes free the land from the Cat Queen's grip?

Setting:

Catty Lands takes place in the Catty Lands, a world inspired by Wonderland. It is quite unlike our own world in many respects: it is flat and surrounded by an impassable fog, its sun and stars are winged cats, the leaves on its plants are of many colors, its snow is not cold, and many other things.

The land is populated by many humans, animals and elementals. Although all humans are capable of using magic, only some can craft their own spells; the rest must buy their spells from a magic shop. The elementals are all capable of spell crafting, but due to the exploitation of the land ordered by the Cat Queen, most of them have become wary of humans. There are four elemental queens and four elemental guardians of the fonts of magic.

Most animals, including the wild ones such as wolves, are perfectly friendly to humans and elementals alike.

Main Characters:

upeitE.png
Upon her fifteenth birthday, Katrina is given the key to her family ship, the Kattensong. Per family tradition, she takes a maiden voyage around the Catty Lands alone. While doing so, she runs into two other girls with whom she will share a wondrous adventure.

wobBNO.png
When she was only twelve, Maia's parents disappeared for speaking out against the Cat Queen of Spades. Three years later, Maia still hasn't given up hope that they are still alive and well. When she sees Katrina dock her ship at Maia's home town, Maia joins her immediately in hopes of finding her lost parents.

FE3UWQ.png
Kalliope, or Kali, as she prefers to be called, lives a life of leisure - until she and her family are ambushed by the Cat Queen's army in the woods. With her life turned upside down, Kali is forced to flee her home town and stow away on the Kattensong, where she and Maia develop an intense dislike of one another. Now stuck with people of a lower class, Kali will have to overcome her spoiled ways.

Non Player Characters:

ae8DJG.png
Aretia has been the leader of a secret resistance against the Cat Queen of Spades since she was eleven years old. Her and her group have been the only ones to openly oppose the queen and evade capture. After rescuing Katrina, Maia and Kali from the captain of the guard, the girls aid her group in a rescue mission and become very close allies.

mZWWge.png
The Cat Queen of Spades is called such because of her cat ears left over from a botched transformation spell she performed, and the fact that her actual name is unknown to anyone. She has one goal: to stay queen of the Catty Lands. She would also like to be adored by all her subjects, but only her captain of the guard, Miir, is even close to her friend.

0riZaa.png
Captain of the Guard Miir is one of the greediest people in the Catty Lands. She is very proud of having the queen's favor and would like to keep it that way. Unfortunately for her, that means capturing Aretia, who has always been able to evade her. After a few incidents of Katrina, Maia and Kali getting in the way of her ambitions, Miir becomes their foe, and wants to catch them almost as much as she does Aretia.

Y4zUeK.png
The previous queen, Almira, had some recruits, Kitria being one of them. Being a teenager when the Cat Queen usurped the throne, Kitria soon got her dream of joining the army, but not in the way she had hoped. Having dreamed of protecting the land's people, she found herself forced to exploit them. However, that won't stop her from being a hidden ally of Katrina, Maia, Kali, and Aretia's group.

Credits (subject to change):

The wonderful people who made RPG Maker VX Ace
Myself for recoloring of RPG Maker's resources
I used Protools 8 for some of the music and MuseScore for the rest

The following people are from the RPG Maker Web and/or RPG Maker Central forums unless specified otherwise:
culai03 (Resources)
Tsukihime (Scripts)
RMCollective: Tatanya, Lunara (Resources)
Mr. Waffles (Resources)
Mack (Resources)
GrandmaDeb (recoloring of Mack's sprite)
Yanfly Channel (Script)
Galv (Script)
V.M. of D.T. (Script)

roninator2 (Bug Tester)

Screenshots:

2n0t1mf.jpg

30vf7k9.jpg

2d9bwbn.jpg

3325kw1.jpg

rsvho2.jpg

2ntdxzc.jpg

Features:

A diverse cast of characters, including a main cast of female characters only
A magic system somewhat reminiscent of the Harry Potter games
Open world: easy navigation with the ship (do note that some areas/side quests are unavailable until a certain plot point has passed)
A completely original soundtrack (meaning I composed it all)
Dungeons full of traps and puzzles to beat rather than battlers

Blog: http://saeryenkalador.tumblr.com
Show your support!

2093k9y.jpg
landssupportbar_zpsgmnjxvkc.jpg
The top support bar was made by me. The bottom one was made by the wonderful Culai. To use either of these banners just copy and paste the BBcode into your signature!

[url=http://www.rpgmakercentral.com/topic/33138-catty-lands/][img=http://i64.tinypic.com/2093k9y.jpg][/url]
[url=http://www.rpgmakercentral.com/topic/33138-catty-lands/][img=http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j39/Culai08/landssupportbar_zpsgmnjxvkc.jpg][/url]

Edited by Saeryen

Update: five brand new screenshots! The new HP bar was created by the talented culai03. Also, new information on two new NPCs.

it seems interesting, but the bright message box really puts me off, bright colours really gives me headaces

Who else finds this true about the message box?

I like the color of the message box but maybe the white text on that color is a bit tiring to look at because they are both bright?  Is it possible to tinker with the text color just slightly?

I couldn't make the text darker, but I did lighten the text box color.

New6.png

What do you guys think?

Also: I added character sprites to the character lists so you can see what they look like =)

Original music! Great!

I think the map is a bit empty, adding few more decorations will make it more lively.

But I love the idea of making the trees with a rather unusual colors.

Good luck on your project!  ^_^

Edited by EpicFILE28

Female only party is the best party

when you say Dungeons full of traps and puzzles to beat rather than battlers does it mean that your games will have no battle in it or does it mean that your game will not only be battle focused ?

Edited by Itsbuffy

This thread has been very silent, so I thought I would show you guys some stuff I made for the game:

Catwalk of Aeons Dungeon

Map046.pngMap047.png

The lava and poison look red because they are damage floors. Some of the flames and ice are barriers that you have to use magic (which either costs money or your own MP, depending on if you buy the spells or make them yourself) to dismantle, the other flames are dangerous objects.

YAY! Progress! ^^

I wonder what puzzles are awaiting in these rooms. (=

That's good to see you're progressing after such a long time of silence, keep it up! =3

Really interesting game!

Yeah, a fully original soundtrack... I like it. I love listening to new kinds of songs, I wonder what kinds of songs you have composed :3

I'll be looking forward to seeing how are these puzzles going to be (I hope they are really hard to solve >:3), since there is no battle in the game. Although I'm not the kind that plays that many games without battles, this one seems to be worth it.

Aww, thanks! That warms my heart to hear you say that.

I plan to add a lot more puzzles and dangers. I recently added a simple push block puzzle to the Kataryn Forest pass and to a couple other locations. Now the only problem is making it so that the change is undone if the player leaves or the object is pushed off of the switch (I'm using switches but it doesn't seem to work).

I'd say the most battle-type feature is with the current plot, I'm planning for there to be a part where you're protecting an NPC and thus have to deflect the magic a villain sends at her.

Edited by saeryensong

There are items to recover your HP and MP, yes.

As for gear, I plan to have some trinkets that you can equip and it allows you to get rid of dangers or be protected from them.

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention. I'm planning on doing a song for the end credits with my own vocals. I made a whole "Cattilan" language to sing it in, it's meant to be the language of the elementals in this game (you never hear it because they only speak it between themselves).

Edited by saeryensong

Aww, thanks! That warms my heart to hear you say that.

No problem! :3

As for gear, I plan to have some trinkets that you can equip and it allows you to get rid of dangers or be protected from them.

Since I love Hardcore, I'll ignore these items and try to beat it with the smallest chances of all~ >;3

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention. I'm planning on doing a song for the end credits with my own vocals. I made a whole "Cattilan" language to sing it in, it's meant to be the language of the elementals in this game (you never hear it because they only speak it between themselves).

Ooooohh, I'd love to hear that! Sounds interesting, too :3

I wonder if there are going to be secrets and easter eggs involving more information about the game, for the player to find and enjoy :3

Ooooohh, I'd love to hear that! Sounds interesting, too :3

I wonder if there are going to be secrets and easter eggs involving more information about the game, for the player to find and enjoy :3

Aw, thank you. Yeah, there will be a few side quests and there are books on bookshelves you can read that mostly have information about the setting.

Kataryn Forest

Map061.png

The following things are dangerous: pink snake, one of the brown rocks (the other you can push around), dark patches (these are pits), poison swamp damage floor