GAME DEMO AVAILABLE! : http://crescentskygames.wix.com/decayingdamnation

Decaying Damnation is a turn based rpg taking place in a modern setting, primarily in Hon Kage city and the various areas surrounding it; The game has a chapter-based story progression system, akin to that of games like Paper Mario or Tales of Xillia 2. As of right now, I have the prologue and chapter 1 completed, which is about 4-5 hours of gameplay time.

Story: Umbras are feared by just about any living being that inhabits this world; These creatures consume the souls of the innocent, and nobody ever does anything to stop them. Most people are too afraid to stand up to the Umbras and therefore allow them to remain the superior species. However, a select few set out to rebel against the Umbras. Their reasons, very different; Their goal, mutual. Throughout their journey, the group discovers the secrets and origins of the Umbrian race, as well as certain secrets about themselves and their unique pasts.

Characters:

Kazu Norowa: Kazu isn't your typical hero; He fights for a different reason than "Saving the world" or "Helping the ones you care about". In fact, he doesn't have a single person he cares about, and he sure as hell doesn't give a damn about the fate of the world. He's just sick and tired of being on the same boat as the "Inferior humans" that don't do a thing about the Umbras. Some think he's a jerk, while others claim he's flat-out heartless. He has a different view on himself: "I'm not heartless, I just don't give a damn." But throughout the journey with his new comrades, will he find a different way of seeing other people?

Phay Hikari: Phay's just about as "polar-opposite" of Kazu as a sole person could possibly be. Phay is always smiling, and can turn the most depressing of moods into the happiest mood they've ever experienced. The only thing she loves more than smiling is seeing her friends smile too, and she fights the Umbras for the sake of the innocents who were killed.

Jin Shiro: Jin has a dagger-weilding dog named Kabi, and together they form the greatest mercenary duo known to man. Jin hunts Umbra for money, as he has quite a demand on his hands when it comes to money. However, when unforseen circumstances strike Jin and his pup, he's offered an interesting deal. How will this affect his struggle against the Umbras, and his personal struggles as well?

Airi Akemi: Airi is the assistant to the mayor in Hon Kage city. She spends the beginning of the quest sending the group out to find powerful Umbras to take down, until she eventually joins the party because of an interesting ability she finds herself able to use. Some call it summoning, or even taming of the Umbras. However, she considers it more of a mutual pact between human and shadow, and thinks of her Umbrian partners on equal grounds with her.

Hiro Miyazaki: Hiro, like Phay, certainly knows how to make a mood more positive. However, he has a rather strange way of doing this. Hiro spends most of his time flirting with women, especially Airi, and making vulgar jokes that nobody really laughs at but him. Sometimes Jin pretends to go along with his jokes, if only to embarrass the rest of the party.

Credits:

Created By: Kazenna

Voices: Kazu: Kazenna, Phay: Sierra Hyde, Jin: Gotti, Airi: Katerinu, Hiro: PMONickpop123, Shopkeeper: Arwennick

Scriptwork: Yami, Kread-X, Yanfly, VM of DT, Modern Algebra, Pacman,

Music: The World Ends With You, Zelda Series, Xenoblade Chronicles, Noragami, Dan Alvarez, Katerinu, Persona Series, Tales Series, Panty and Stocking, Corpse Party, Yasushi Ishii, Bakemonogatari

Artwork: Slime-Frog

Screenshots:

post-58547-0-57811600-1437016935_thumb.png post-58547-0-99310800-1437016949_thumb.png post-58547-0-19458500-1437016945_thumb.png

(Click to Enlarge)

Extra Features:

Eliciter Gems: Eliciters are technological weapons imbued with elemental power. However, Kazu has the ability to change the "Eliciter Gem" in his, which alters the elemental abilities available to him. For example, equipping a Ruby gives him skills like the single-target "Fireball" or the Area Of Effect, "Flame FIeld", while a Sapphire would give him abilities such as the single target "Pop" or the light healing skill, "Holy Water". Note that Kazu has the Sapphire equipped in the third screenshot, enabling the Pop skill used.

Fusion Skills: With the use of a script, certain skills, when used in succession, will combine into what is known as a "Fusion Skill". An example would be that when Kazu uses "Fireball" directly before, or directly after Phay uses "Light", Phay will propel Kazu's fireball with a light beam, significantly amplifying the damage output of the skill. Note that a fusion skill is being used in the third screenshot.

Interchangable Costumes: There are various costumes available throughout various parts of the game. They are found in different ways and methods, and allow you to change your character's sprite into a different one that we have made for them. Try to find them all! Note that the screenshots display the party members in different outfits, whether they be Alternate Colored default outfits, or completely different costumes.

Edited by Kazenna

Oh, I can finally comment on this now~

I must say, the first thing that caught my attention was the battle system. The whole fusion and imbued weapon gems really got me interested :)
As well as new outfits for each character ;)

I look forward to seeing future development on this project Kazenna~

I'm so glad people are taking interest! With this being non-profit and for-fun, my main motivation comes from the happiness and hype of the public, so I'm really excited to bring you guys the demo when it's ready!

I think I commented that game haven't I? ~That's weird...

Nvm. I know what happened, I just had exactly the same thing to say as Takeo212, so I left her like and apparently forgot to comment. =P

Anyway... as everyone said~ the battle system and costume changing really look interesting! =)

And HOLY BALLS! There is voice acting (according to credits) ~ awesome! =D

I noticed the demo is like 300mb but you're using modern tiles, did you package RTP stuff with it too? I'm just curious because that kind of surprised me lol.

Anyway, I'll play the demo and do a review and edit this post afterwards.

I noticed the demo is like 300mb but you're using modern tiles, did you package RTP stuff with it too? I'm just curious because that kind of surprised me lol.

Yeah haha there's some RTP stuff in there. Some of the areas aren't as modern (Like a mountain resort you'll see at a few points) so I just went and used the standard tiles for it. The game's mostly under a modern setting, however.

How goes the demo playthrough? I'm interested in what you have to say about the game :D

Since I played it, I might as well write a feedback on it. ^_^

This is purely my play-through feedback.

Finish Demo Time: 3 hours 14 minutes and 37 seconds

Ending Level: 5

Art:

Face sets: The art is very well done but could use a little more trimming. The white part around the character face sets are very visible. I suggest just leaving the area behind the face set white if you do not have proper editing tools.

Mapping: All of the maps are very unnecessarily large and empty. This is worsen when the light is out and you run endlessly in a dark room without walls or object to see. I suggest shrinking the rooms a lot.

Music and sound:

Music: The BGM matches the scene very well.

Voice Acting: I love the voice acting. It looks like it was a lot of work.

Story:

Although this is just an early demo and there are still more background to come, the intro needs a bit of work. I’m completely lost on what Umbras are and where they even come from even after finishing the demo two hours later.

Puzzles:

Some of the puzzles have no clues at all. For example, when Phay was alone, I had no idea I was supposed to go through the wall after defeating the Umbra standing in front of it. There was no hole in the wall. This is even worse when just a few minutes before, Phay said she should avoid encounters. The battle also took annoying long because she is a healer.

Battle:

The game difficulty is not hard but annoying. For example, at the animus stage where the three Umbras girl put you to sleep, I practically beg them to attack me as they continuously put me to sleep, ultimately prolonging the enviable. I almost feel asleep myself. All of the boss battles were roughly the same. Kill the weak stuff first then heal/pound the boss.

The character also need a bit of uniqueness, after I acquired Airi I practically kicked Phay from my party. Which gave me a laughs when Phay’s voice comes on at encounters even though she isn’t doing anything anymore. The reason I abandoned Phay was because I couldn’t kick out Kazu, who in my opinion is the weakest member of the group. Kazu’s physical damage is only half of Jin, which is worsen when Jin could double hit just like Kazu through a skill I could use indefinitely, and his magic is not even close to the double “magic increasing†item wielding Airi. Fortunately, Kazu could become a healer, which is why Phay is out. Sorry, Phay.

Bugs:

- I can climb up a bathtub and a sink in the animus den stage.

- Before you can enter the roof, the right elevator door in the mayor’s office says go up then take you down.

- Aggression did nothing. After Jin used taunt, Jin’s brother still took swings at poor Airi. Considering Aggression is a one time stack buff, it should at least be powerful.

- Silent did nothing. After Airi silent a fire slime, it still casted its fire magic.

- Luck did nothing. Even after using the “increase critical chance skill†I did not hit a critical once.

- After you put on a outfit you can sell it and still keep the look.

Edited by Adventurer_inc.

Thanks for all the feedback! I actually wasn't aware of a significant amount of the bugs you mentioned (or all of them, actually 0_0) I will say it's much appreciated. Oh, and about the Umbras and their origin; you're not really supposed to know where they come from entirely yet, as most of the plot involves investigating their origins in order to, well, send em back (that's really all I can say right now to avoid getting spoily but it's much deeper I promise) I do intend to weaken the Umbras in that Phay section (like, a lot), as well as do more with the maps (I know they look big and empty, but that's because there's gonna be more of a reason to return to them later and I just haven't added any of their future segments yet) some may end up shrunk a bit, though, depending on how they are when I'm 100% done. And yeah the facepics do need work but that's just something I've been to lazy to trim xD it's like the top of my priorities list at this point though

Since I played it, I might as well write a feedback on it. ^_^

This is purely my play-through feedback.

Finish Demo Time: 3 hours 14 minutes and 37 seconds

Ending Level: 5

Art:

Face sets: The art is very well done but could use a little more trimming. The white part around the character face sets are very visible. I suggest just leaving the area behind the face set white if you do not have proper editing tools.

Mapping: All of the maps are very unnecessarily large and empty. This is worsen when the light is out and you run endlessly in a dark room without walls or object to see. I suggest shrinking the rooms a lot.

Music and sound:

Music: The BGM matches the scene very well.

Voice Acting: I love the voice acting. It looks like it was a lot of work.

Story:

Although this is just an early demo and there are still more background to come, the intro needs a bit of work. I’m completely lost on what Umbras are and where they even come from even after finishing the demo two hours later.

Puzzles:

Some of the puzzles have no clues at all. For example, when Phay was alone, I had no idea I was supposed to go through the wall after defeating the Umbra standing in front of it. There was no hole in the wall. This is even worse when just a few minutes before, Phay said she should avoid encounters. The battle also took annoying long because she is a healer.

Battle:

The game difficulty is not hard but annoying. For example, at the animus stage where the three Umbras girl put you to sleep, I practically beg them to attack me as they continuously put me to sleep, ultimately prolonging the enviable. I almost feel asleep myself. All of the boss battles were roughly the same. Kill the weak stuff first then heal/pound the boss.

The character also need a bit of uniqueness, after I acquired Airi I practically kicked Phay from my party. Which gave me a laughs when Phay’s voice comes on at encounters even though she isn’t doing anything anymore. The reason I abandoned Phay was because I couldn’t kick out Kazu, who in my opinion is the weakest member of the group. Kazu’s physical damage is only half of Jin, which is worsen when Jin could double hit just like Kazu through a skill I could use indefinitely, and his magic is not even close to the double “magic increasing†item wielding Airi. Fortunately, Kazu could become a healer, which is why Phay is out. Sorry, Phay.

Bugs:

- I can climb up a bathtub and a sink in the animus den stage.

- Before you can enter the roof, the right elevator door in the mayor’s office says go up then take you down.

- Aggression did nothing. After Jin used taunt, Jin’s brother still took swings at poor Airi. Considering Aggression is a one time stack buff, it should at least be powerful.

- Silent did nothing. After Airi silent a fire slime, it still casted its fire magic.

- Luck did nothing. Even after using the “increase critical chance skill†I did not hit a critical once.

- After you put on a outfit you can sell it and still keep the look.

So I finally got time to work on the project again, and I was able to fix the facepictures (As well as add more :P), I fixed the elevator "Go Up?" Bug, the tile passing bathtub bug, I THINK I fixed the silence bug, I'm working on figuring out the taunt bug, and SIGNIFICANTLY nerfed the umbras in the Phay solo dungeon. Additionally, Kazu being the weakest party member soon changes when new eliciters are available, giving him the most diverse and useful skillset out of all the party members (Though I will admit that earlygame, his usefulness is pretty lackluster) And as for the story, the intention is to begin by thrusting the player into Kazu's situation, and have the player learn more about the umbra's origins as the people of Hon Kage find out more about them (The reason the lore isn't explained is because nobody knows where the hell the Umbras even come from); Anyway, the point of this message was to give a little update on the things i fixed, as well as show what improvements I made upon hearing your feedback

Did you ever get around to finishing? I'm really curious as to what feedback you may wanna give :D