Lord Vectra

Close world and open world in one series?

I wouldn't say it has to be but It's recommended to go close>open since it shows progression within the game series, and going back a few steps seems to really urk players nowadays since it's considered "lazy" or "cheap".

The further in the series that you make open world games (say you make 5 open worlds) , then the more unappealing it is for the fans to suddenly play close world since you took away that freedom and such.

it's entirely up to the developer of course, since no matter how amazing your game is, there will always be haters, so just do what you feel comfortable with that way you know you can do whatever your setting out to do and advance from there.

If you do plan on making a close world game, I suggest starting a new series though, that way you dont get backlash from "backtracking" or such. 

I'm specifically asking for my current series, World of Chaos.

Every 6 games is one generation of heroes

WOC - The 1st one is open world because it fits. The main character lives in a area where there is a lot of cities and places to go. There are different types of shops and each city has a specialty. For example. Lishtar Village has a 50% discount on poisons.

WOC II - Closed World. Hard to explain.

WOC III - Open World. It goes with the story. You're a mage who lived within Wizond (mage school) for your entire life and now you get to go outside and live a little.

WOC IV - Close world. You play as an assassin who kills specific enemies to gain information. You are a hybrid of both Vampire and Werewolf. Both aren't necessarily liked at this time of the series. Since villagers aren't friends with the rest of the world, there is no use in open world and close world would be better for this game.

WOC V - Closed World. Hard to explain.

WOC VI - Open World. All 5 heroes come together to help others, fight for peace, and defeat the Chaos God.

WOC VII - Closed World. This is in between 1st and second generation. It shows the transition of the 2 generations. The main character in this game will be considered in Generation while what happens in the game, will be considered between Gen 1 and 2. Basically, you'll play the main character on the last game on the 2nd Gen. This game is similar to Dante's Inferno. You go through the 9 circles of hell to reach your main enemy.

WOC 8 -> 12 - Open World. Second generation has begun! Every single one of them is open world since they all, like WOC I, live in open places. This is more story driven than action packed,

WOC 13 -> 18 - Closed World. This generation is more action packed than story driven.

Edited by Vectra

Ahh, in that guideline I think it would work. I was thinking more Final Fantasy type stuff - where its a series but different stories throughout in different games.

I think it would work in that method, yes :)

Also, thats alot of series xD

I think it's a great idea for a series with such a range to be, therefore, ranged in it's game-type. 

Closed world games can help deliver a very specific story and game type. Having that flexibility also allows you to feature diverse systems like the one you'd mentioned....2 weeks ago? Maybe more, I know you'd said it was all evented and it was original. 

Ahh, in that guideline I think it would work. I was thinking more Final Fantasy type stuff - where its a series but different stories throughout in different games.

I think it would work in that method, yes :)

Also, thats alot of series xD

I was finished with WOC 1 -> 7  but I started all over cuz I didn't like them.

I think it's a great idea for a series with such a range to be, therefore, ranged in it's game-type. 

Closed world games can help deliver a very specific story and game type. Having that flexibility also allows you to feature diverse systems like the one you'd mentioned....2 weeks ago? Maybe more, I know you'd said it was all evented and it was original. 

That game was called X-Marks.

I kinda think it might be interesting to switch between both closed world and open world within the same game, but I don't know how it would flow together nicely with a multi-game series though. I mean assuming the whole chunks of the series is like one big story, wouldn't it flow better as a single game? It seems like with your example, I-VI combined as a single story that sounds a lot like Final Fantasy 6. Final Fantasy 6 pretty much alternated between more open and more closed segments before the game opens up for good at the end, but I think if each segment had been a series of independent games being strung together with a loose story it wouldn't have worked as well. Maybe I am wrong though.

Either way, I am not sure if starting open and then going back to closed is a good idea. The only exception I think would be having interweaving narratives in the form of interludes (like an open world where you travel around and find people that tell you closed world sidestorys).

Edited by KilloZapit

The first quarter or so of my game begins very closed and linear then opens up quite a bit. I'm also not sure how well that would flow in a series. I made the beginning of mine linear because there was a certain time and order I wanted to bring in party members in. I was able to make it flow well in that regard. You can certainly make individual games in a series alternate from open to closed. With some clever writing and planning, doing it within the same game in a series should work, too. It actually may end up helping the series to flow. For example, the first game starts closed and eventually becomes open. The next game starts open. It would give the series a nice flow. Going from open to closed would be a bit trickier in a single game. I don't think it would flow well. Personally, I wouldn't like going from a free flowing world to a linear one. Maybe if you did it towards the end. Maybe the last couple cities/dungeons are a linear progression, but the player is still free to go back and explore the open world.

There's several different way you could go about your series. Go with whichever flows the most naturally with the story your trying to tell.