I have no clever tag line for this project... But, I think it's about time to hit the showroom floors and show off what I have. I've mostly kept some development in my journal/blog/thing and I think I'm far enough to get ball rolling. Please excuse the lack of flashy imagery as that I do plan on working on my own resources in once I get the first demo out. Well... Here it goes!

A story in the making:

Recollection

Story

Long ago when the world was being created, there was a being known as Reminiscence. She was a god that helped create the mindset of all beings that lived on this newly created planet. She also began to create the memories of the people that were living on this planet to help them remember things that they had done. As years pass, the ten nations of the world declared war against one another for the rights of land and the rights to use elements known as Gaia. While the war was happening, the elements that were keeping the world alive were beginning to wither and was soon confronted by Gaia herself. Soon after, the people of the world put their differences aside and formed a truce to help bring their world back to health.

After a war over Gaia, people began to generate bad memories of the the war an began forgetting their pasts. A stray memory on the verge of passing was brought to Reminiscence and was given a second chance at life. She had giving him a special task to help stray forgotten memories to be brought back and kept safe until the person who had forgotten them could come in terms with their forgotten memories so that they can be remembered. Soon after, the stay memory was given the title of Kaiso Ari: Preserver of Memories

Thousands of years later, something was happening to the memories and Reminiscence. Kaiso had just found out after coming back with helping memories only to see that forgotten memories had started to become corrupted and out of control. He went to Reminiscence to confront her to see what was really happening, but was unable to convince her to change her mind as memories became corrupted under her influence. With all the power he had, he was able to seal her away until he was able to figure out a cure to bring her back to her old self. However, it was just too much for one memory to handle and thus he had enlisted other memories to help their fellow forgotten memories to be remembered as well as investigate the reason behind the corrupted memories.

As years pass, not only memories were being corrupted, but something suspicious is happening to the ten nations and the Gaia. Could it be possible that another war for Gaia is about to start...?

Main Cast

Wesley (can be renamed)

Species: Fox

Job: Commoner

Favorite food: Hamburgers

Favorite thing: Helping others

Dislikes: Working and being called Weasel

Fears: High frequency noises

A guy who had just moved out of his Mom's place to get a place of his own. However, he didn't realize how hard it would be living by himself. He managed to get a job at the Convenience Store to help cover bills that he's struggling to pay. When he isn't working, he likes to go around town asking people if they need help with anything to earn an extra bit of Zalon. At times, he can be a Mama's Boy because he's really close with his mother. He also has a father who is working at another town. From time to time, he gets letters about his dad's job. Once he gets things settled, he plans on making trips to and from his dad's work place so that they can bond a little.

While he was young, he had a yearning for adventure and would often imagine him and his friends going on a journey.

Zack

Species: Feline

Favorite food: Grilled Salmon

Favorite thing: Gaming and being goofy around friends

Dislikes: Milk and people who are way too serious

Fears: The unknown

A cat with a goofy demeanor. However, he isn't always goofy and will lend an earn for anyone with problems in their current lives. Despite all of this, he prefers to spend most of his time playing games and going to the library to look up random things. When he isn't playing games, he likes hanging around his friends and talking about what the future might hold for them. When he's feeling really gutsy, he sometimes likes to playfully flirt with Wesley's mom. He doesn't mean anything by it, but it certainly gets Wesley's blood boiling.

While he was younger, him and his friend Wesley would like to pretend that they were going on an adventure by exploring every single corner of their small town: Talkia.

Wilfre

Favorite food: Unknown

Favorite thing: Unknown

Dislikes: Selfish people

Fears: Unknown

A person who is rather reserved and very formal when talking. Wilfre is very calm and logical about certain situations. However, he can become easily annoyed at times at some people who would much rather act first than to think. Everything about him is still unknown. His two friends, Zack and Wesley, still have no idea what he is actually like. Still, both Wesley and Zack welcome him and offer to invite him over to play games and do other things. When he isn't being bothered, he usually spends most of his time inside his house. His windows and doors are always locked shut. Not once has Wesley nor Zack stepped foot inside... Whatever it may be, Wilfre will always be a mystery to them.

Bryan (Bonus Chapter character for the demo)

Species: Wolf

Job: Unknown

Favorite food: Milk

Favorite thing: Meditating

Dislikes: Recklessness

Fears: Being betrayed

As of now, no information has been gathered about this character. Most information will be revealed until the first release of the demo!

More characters are planned to be playable in the near feature.

Side Cast

Mom (No name has been given yet...)

She is Wesley's mother. Nothing more to say other than that she is really close to Wesley. Being his mother and all, she usually comes to save the day if she knows her baby isn't being fed well. Not only is she looking out for Wesley, but she also looks out for his friends who may need a meal or someone to talk to.

Cat Girl (Only available in the demo!)

Species: Cat

She's a treasure hunter, but she is too lazy to go look for any of it. Instead, she instructs the player that there are some Easter Eggs hidden by some guy that she cannot remember the name of at the moment. Once you find all of them, she wants you to bring them back. Not entirely sure what she means, but it sounds important enough.

??? (Only available in the demo!)

Species: Human

Who is this guy? He lives in a small house just outside of a city called Damin... There's a note on the door saying something about his lost treasure and will reward the player for finding all of them. We likes rewards, don't we?! Let's get looking!

More side characters will be available in the near feature.

Current Features *Updated 2/9/2016

A Storybook based story.

On Screen Encounters! This gives you the option to either run from enemies or fight them. They currently come in two flavors: Passive and Aggressive.

Skills that can be learned by reading books or being taught by tutors.

A journal log to handle quests as well as give you a summery of chapters so that if players come back from a break they won't be lost on what to do next.

The ability to change the size of your screen to three different window/fullscreen sizes:

Default, large, full.

NEW! Native Wide Screen resolution so that you no longer have to squint all that hard to see the game!

Game saving via Journals. Don't worry, there will be an abundance of journals. Some you may have to work to get to.

Choices that can determine the outcome of a story/event/character interactions. Make your choices wisely, because it could mean the end of a partnership with one of your party members or possibly the fate of the world!

Demo only Easter Egg hunt! These eggs are hidden all over the place! If you find all of them, something good may happen and you might learn some things about my project and previous works! <- May be scrapped if I can't get it working again.

Demo only A special bonus chapter that can be played right from the beginning of the game! Or, if you want, finish the first chapter and then play the bonus chapter! *Warning: The bonus chapter does contain spoilers about some characters and story plot points!*

NEW! Native Mouse support, customizable controller support, and customizable keyboard controls to give you different ways to play!

NEW! A team based party gauge in the style for both actors and enemies to make battles more intense!

NEW! Native Side-view battles with some fancy action sequences!

NEW! System settings to set the volume of sounds, auto-dashing, and control setups!

NEW! "Animated" face sprites to display the moods of characters in cut-scenes!

NEW! Map changes to make use of those new future style like tilesets that MV provides!

NEW! Having access to more Character based stats such as elemental resistance and state resistance!

Planned Features

Fleshing out the story a bit more to fix any plot holes that may occur.

Personal resources so that the game and environment has their own personality and charm.

A unique battle engine that resembles a Paper Mario/Mario and Luigi like battle system. (Maybe... Depending on the difficulty and/if I can find someone to script it) <-Sadly will not happen anytime soon. Or at all.

An OST. Depending if I can find the time to learn how to compose music or find someone to do it.

A more dynamic skill learning system.

A class changing system as well as a class promotion system much like in the Shining Force series.

A teleport/bus/flying system to help players get around quickly.

A simple crafting system.

Sub storys for playable characters that can be unlocked after completing certain events.

A pet/summon system to allow the player a bit more fire power against stronger enemies.

Screenshots

jSzDBB9.png

EtyieqJ.png

UXxQWIH.png

Vag4jrU.png

TZnvxuX.png

axvSDuz.png

QUJ8Dp7.png

V1dBg7r.png

z4EuPT3.png

bpUcD3g.png

V2DinpR.png

sijZtMx.png

4NPXMvN.png

YFCgc2L.png

Jqyr6uJ.png

NEW! MV Screenshots

Coming soon...

Credits

Scripts

Neon Black:

Event Jitter Fix

Yanfly:

YEA Core

Victory Aftermath

Party System

Status Menu

Battle Engine

Enemy HP Bars

Extra Drops

Buff & State

Event Chase Player

Hime:

Tag Manager

Shop Manager

Use Conditions Tag

Sell Only Shop

Custom Use Conditions

Map Screenshot (to get screen shots of maps and certain screens)

Fullscreen ++ Toggle Border Addon ( http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/14081-fullscreen/?p=351260 )

Zeus81:

Fullscreen ++

RPG Maker Source:

Smooth Cursor

Menu Scrollbars

Enhanced Camera

TheoAllen:

Dynamic Victory Aftermath Addon

Soulpour777:

YEA Party System Addon (unable to find link to credit him/her)

Racheal:

YEA Event Chase Player Fix ( http://www.rpgmakervxace.net/topic/19697-yanflys-event-chase-player-chasing-persists-on-different-event-page/#entry135882 )

modern algebra:

Quest Journal

PencilCase27, BoluBolu, and Sami-Fire64:

MultiItem Check -unofficial name- ( http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/32317-how-to-check-for-multiple-items-at-once/ )

Etude87:

Menu Editor ( http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/30053-etude87s-menu-editor-ver105/ )

Events

Adon:

Enemy Encounter System ( http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/8763-on-map-enemy-encounter-systemfinished/ )

Music

Phantasy Star Zero

Phantasy Star Universe

Shining Force

Rune Factory 4

Mother 3

Skies of Arcadia

Final Fantasy 6

Spiral Knights

Legend of Mana

Some other games that I cannot remember at the moment...

Sound Effects and Music Effects

The Guardian Legend

Minecraft

Cave Story

A sound from a game I don't know...

Free Sounds found across Google and Youtube

Sprites and Battlers

Most of them were found off of grandmadeb lists of animal sprites - http://www.rpgmakervxace.net/topic/2399-grannys-lists-animal-sprites/

One wolf battler that I cannot find the person that made it. If you recognize it, please let me know so I can give proper credit!

Graphics, sounds, and engine

Enterbrain

Kadokawa

Degica

NEW! MV Credits

Plugins

Yanfly -> http://yanfly.moe/

Galv -> http://galvs-scripts.com/

Vlue -> http://daimonioustails.weebly.com/

Events

Adon:

Enemy Encounter System ( http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/8763-on-map-enemy-encounter-systemfinished/ )

Music

Phantasy Star Zero

Phantasy Star Universe

Shining Force

Rune Factory 4

Mother 3

Skies of Arcadia

Final Fantasy 6

Spiral Knights

Legend of Mana

Undertale

Some other games that I cannot remember at the moment...

Sound Effects and Music Effects

The Guardian Legend

Minecraft

Cave Story

A sound from a game I don't know...

Free Sounds found across Google and Youtube

Sprites and Battlers

Most of them were found off of grandmadeb lists of animal sprites - http://www.rpgmakervxace.net/topic/2399-grannys-lists-animal-sprites/

Graphics, sounds, and engine

Enterbrain

Kadokawa

Degica

Demo

I plan on releasing the demo once I get the first chapter and bonus chapter done. I will also be looking for bug testers for when those two chapters are complete. This is to ensure that the game itself runs like it should and if I need to make any rebalances to the mechanics or fix any typos in any of the text. I will make an announcement once I get close to finishing the first demo.

Also upon release of the demo, there will be some README files within the folder for those who need some information about how some of the game mechanics work. I added those so that if there are newer players who haven't played an RM game before, they have some basic concept on what to do.

Updates *Update 4/20/2016

Added some more another person to the MV credits. I'm also looking around at his plugins and I might be adding a few more of his plugins in the future.

Update 3 - 4/20/2016 -

Added Vlue to the MV Credits

Update 2 - 2/9/2016 -

Made the transition to RPG Maker MV and provided a video on this post here: http://www.rpgmakervxace.net/topic/34370-recollection/?p=260359

Added more features to the "Features" list

Made "MV Credits" for the new engine

Update 1 - 8/27/2015 -

Post in the All Game Submissions in hopes to get into The Showroom. *crosses fingers*

Thank you for taking the time to look at my project. =)

Edited by KaisoAri

Your characters are cute!   Is your game going to have lots of animals in it? 

I plan on adding a variety of animals. The main cast will mostly consist of anthropomorphic animals, but the world will be diverse in both humans and animals.

Hey guys, I've got an update. Nothing too big or anything since life itself has been rather hectic as of late.

I haven't had a lot of time to work on this project like I did when I first started, mainly because during this time my brother had lost his job and I had to work double duty to help pay for bills and such. (Real life woes. Oh, please, someone cry me a river. [/sarcasm]) But during some of my free time whenever I had the chance, I took up the chance on learning how to code in Javascript for the upcoming RPG Maker MV that would be coming out. I was going to take time to learn Ruby, but seeing that I could see my game molded into something better thanks to all the new features that MV has provided, I may take the project and port it over once I get my hands on it.

Other than that, I've been working on some sketches for the characters of the game. The sketches aren't finished yet but I will post them up when I get the rough draft of them done.

Sorry to get anyone's hopes up for anything big since real life is a cruel mistress at times. But, when MV comes out, be prepared for some more stuff!

Progress is slow as always, but I got some video stuff! It's nothing huge, but it basically shows some new stuff that I had planned on adding for some time now...

First off, I've moved to the new RPG Maker MV engine since it provides much more customization, as well as a plethora of plugins that have been made over the last few months! I'll also update the main opening post with any new added features.

Anyway, video of the opening part of the game. I'll have some more videos up as soon as I fix more stuff that MV broke.

I also like to apologize for not having a demo out a lot sooner than I hoped. I planned out having a demo out sometime in December of last year, but with how things happened the last part of the year I had to dedicate most of my time to taking care of family issues and some work related stuff. I haven't completely forgotten this project and I hope to get more of it done since now that I have a handful of plugins that I am pretty excited to use!

Ahh, I wish I had noticed this topic sooner! Sorry, KaisoAri!

What makes this project interesting to me is the features. I like the idea of a storybook format. Skills being taught to you rather than suddenly being learned also makes a lot of sense, and it's great to have a story recap readily available, because I tend to take long pauses when playing games and forget what happened last time. I'm sure that with your new JavaScript knowledge, you'll be able to add many more cool features to this game.

I like what I see in the intro. You have a distinct mapping style - I've noticed that your maps are quite compact, but they don't feel crowded or anything. It's kind of a cute style! (I hope that doesn't sound weird, haha.) The dialogue also feels natural. Well done on that, and on your progress in general.

A couple of pointers, though:

• The choice before the name selection window says "May name is..." instead of "My name is..."
  • The intro cutscenes do take quite a while. They're well-written, but it might be nice if the player could take control of Wesley a bit sooner.

Sorry to hear that family issues got in the way of development! I hope that everything gets sorted out soon and I'll look forward to seeing those sketches.

Ahh, I wish I had noticed this topic sooner! Sorry, KaisoAri!

What makes this project interesting to me is the features. I like the idea of a storybook format. Skills being taught to you rather than suddenly being learned also makes a lot of sense, and it's great to have a story recap readily available, because I tend to take long pauses when playing games and forget what happened last time. I'm sure that with your new JavaScript knowledge, you'll be able to add many more cool features to this game.

I like what I see in the intro. You have a distinct mapping style - I've noticed that your maps are quite compact, but they don't feel crowded or anything. It's kind of a cute style! (I hope that doesn't sound weird, haha.) The dialogue also feels natural. Well done on that, and on your progress in general.

A couple of pointers, though:

• The choice before the name selection window says "May name is..." instead of "My name is..."
  • The intro cutscenes do take quite a while. They're well-written, but it might be nice if the player could take control of Wesley a bit sooner.

Sorry to hear that family issues got in the way of development! I hope that everything gets sorted out soon and I'll look forward to seeing those sketches.

Thanks for the feedback! And no problem. This project had been sitting on the back burner for a while and found its way down the list. I'm working on it ever so slowly, but at least it's getting some progress!

I've been taking some ideas from other games in putting them here. At first I wanted to have some kind of "back story" on how the events took place. As I worked on it more and more it punched more holes in the plot that I really needed to change the way how it was going to be told. I would have gotten around to fill them in, but by time I would get to them I feel the player may have already forgotten them. I've always found it odd that the player learns skills by leveling up. This mechanic was mostly inspired by how skills were learned in Phantasy Star Online. The story recap was an idea a friend pitched to me while I was showing it off and I had to put it in there because even I get lost on what I was doing when taking a break from a game. I will, however, need to fix the quests that were broken and rewrite them. As for my JavaScript adventures... Well, let's just say that it didn't go as well as I hoped it would. But that doesn't mean I won't give up on trying!

I always like mapping small. Having huge maps means that I need to fill them up with stuff and mapping is time consuming as it is. I feel that huge maps might make the player feel lost and I want the player to be able to get from point A to point B without stumbling their way around the map. As for the dialog, I usually pretend to be these characters and talk to myself in a mirror to see how natural it would feel. Yeah, it's a little weird, but I feel it helps out building certain characters.

I also noticed a few typos while rewatching some of the video after uploading it. I had revised some of these lines and it looks like I missed a few things. Whoops! Ah well, I'll get around to fixing those after I fix everything else. And I do agree that it takes a long time before the player has control over Wesley... I think I have an idea on how to make it so that the player can get a control of him sooner which shouldn't take too long to fix up.

And thank you for your concern. So far, it seems that everything is going good with family for now. As for sketches I still have those in the works. I have to use my 3DS (Thank you, Colors!3D) since my drawing tablet for my computer crapped out on me. So, yeah... It's gonna be a while before any sketches emerge. >.<

Hey, there's no rush to get the game done. Take as much time as you need with it. It's always better to take a little bit longer and release a better game than to rush it and release a lower-quality game. It's always great to draw on other good games and player feedback to design your features. I can tell you're putting a lot of thought into this game! Learning any new skill just takes time. I'm sure that with more practice, you'll be able to use JavaScript to shape your game the way you want it.  ^_^

That's a good point about keeping the maps small. If the world of your game isn't really a point of focus for you, then there's no sense in letting the player get lost. For some games, where the areas you visit are a major reason to play it, larger maps make sense, but keeping them streamlined is great too if they aren't intended to be a major feature. It all depends on what you want the focus of your game to be.
No, that doesn't sound weird at all - that's a fantastic way to write! You should write dialogue the way that people actually talk. There were a couple of lines in there where I might have adjusted the wording ever-so-slightly, but really, it sounds pretty natural overall. That's an accomplishment, especially considering so many RPGs out there have really awkward dialogue.

Typos happen to the best of us. :P The fact that you're a good writer and that the events themselves are fun to watch (loved that bottle falling on the ground!) would make it a bit easier for a player to sit through, but at the beginning of a game, you want to hook the player as quickly as possible. Some of the exposition could probably wait for later on in the story, after the player is invested in your plot. Here is a great video I found about designing the introduction of your game! It basically goes over why the first five minutes are crucial.

Glad to hear that all is well on the real-life front for you. Hopefully you'll be able to get those sketches done alright on your 3DS! I think they also make art styluses for smartphones and tablets these days, so if you have one of those, you could look into it.

Indeed. It's a long-term goal that I hope to achieve. Until then, I'll keep working on the tools that are given to me. I hope I don't take too much time with it because I want to at least finish my story/game before the world ends or something. :P

I will most likely get someone to help me out with some of the lines. To be honest, I feel that most of my writing is god awful and I'm often pretty embarrassed when I get pointed out for it because English really wasn't my best subject in school. Judging by how far I've come with my writing, I'm surprised it turned out better than most of my other little short stories I've written. May my previous scripts rest in their cringe-worthy graves.

Extra Credits seem to be a very viable source of information. I remember watching a few episodes while I was working on my game. I do have an idea I want to play with that I was planning on keeping until later on, but I think it might help to draw players in and pretty much get players in control sooner than later. Before I do that, however, I will need to write a draft to see how well it will flow.

Too bad I don't have either of those. My 3DS seems to work well with sketches. Coloring, on the other hand, is a pain. Maybe I can finagle with my drawing tablet to hopefully work long enough to outline and possibly color with it before it decides to flip out. If all else fails, I can just use my mouse. =P

Hey, just an update. So, I've been going through some of my old drafts that I have written and I've decided that I'm going to try to expand on the dream concept for the beginning part of the game. I was going to go with something else, but I didn't want to spoil certain character stories. I feel that this might work better in the end. I have bits of it written so far and I'll get around to programming it soon.

Also, while taking short breaks from writing, I've decided to resketch my game's logo. Forgive me if it looks "sketchy" as I did my best to clean up any messy bits of the logo. Once I get around to adding the outlines and possibly some color it'll look a lot better.

Here's a before and after of my logo:

Before:

RwwB2ZB.png

After:

Uvb51P8.png

The new logo is a little smaller, but I will blow it up a bit. I have it small so I can experiment on trying to fit it within the title screen of my game. I'm also in the process of trying to draw up characters now that my tablet is working again. However, I will end up buying a new one because I'm not sure how much longer this one will last.

Edited by KaisoAri

Thanks! It took a while to think about how to make it up, but I'm glad on how it came out. I'm more of a character designer than anything, but I'm happy with what I managed to come up with. =)

Edited by KaisoAri

Screen shot time!

1HnfYYb.png

Between mapping and working on character sketches, I finally found a quest system that I'll be using to help keep track of progress in the story. Side jobs will be there to help the player earn some extra loot, gold or exp. Character arcs serve as a side-story to help the player understand certain characters from the story as well as explain some of their back story. Also, when you do a character arc, you will get to play as that certain character! I'm looking at other plugins on how to make that possible and I have my eye on a few to help me achieve this. As for how many quests I plan on adding in the demo is unknown at this point. It depends what I can come up with that the player might be willing to spend time on doing. But as of right now, I am focusing on mapping out the first sections of the prologue.

Finally found the motivation to get some stuff done. I put aside fixing my database and got back to doing what I should have been doing: Making progress on my game. I decided to redo the opening since the last one I made had way too much talking and not enough game play. This video is just a snippet of some changes I plan on making.

First off, I'm giving the player some freedom to roam around, fight baddies, and discover some secrets about what may be lying ahead for them. I wanted to expand on my first idea about some sort of dream the main hero has and I feel this has worked out a lot better than I had first planned it. I'm slowly working on getting everything done for the Prologue and then I'll be able to rework on Chapter 1 again.

Sorry for the lack of activity on this thread, but I've more or less came by to make some sort of announcement for my absence and for the lack of updates.

As for right now, I'm putting this game on a temporary hiatus. Reasons being are mostly due to health concerns and how busy is has gotten at my actual job. During the past couple of months my eyes have been causing me problems to almost the point of possible surgery. I've been taking some medication to help them and they have gotten better. However, I may still require surgery to fully get them fixed. I won't go into a whole lot of detail on it, but let's just say that I could go blind if I don't get them fixed. As of right now, I can still see and do things that I need to do.

However, not all is bad news. I am currently waiting on a new drawing tablet to arrive so that I can finally get around to making personal assets. I've also been keeping my eyes on some new plugins for the game so that the game won't be a spam fest.

So, yeah... That's pretty much it. I wanted to get a demo out by the end of this summer, but I guess that will have to wait until I my eyes get better.