Lord Vectra

Villain you feel sad for?

Normally, you either love or hate the villain in games and movies. In Batman, people love Joker and Harley Quinn; she's hot, but anywho... and then in Frozen, people hate the guy.

What if, in a game, you felt sorry for the villain? His heart was in the right place but his methods were evil?

What are your opinions and thoughts?

A great villain is one you can relate to or understand, in my opinion. In the Netflix Daredevil, they did Kingpin's character wonderfully, because you really felt for him. Even with the Joker, he's like a real person (a messed up person, but a person nonetheless). A real villain is more dangerous when he's not simply "I'm gonna destroy the world, cause I'm evil!", but instead he's "I'm going to destroy this, because I want to see how the world suffers." I love complex villains :)

There are plenty of villains like that. I always felt the old "sympathetic villain" thing was kinda weird in a way though. I mean if their goals are generally agreeable but their methods aren't, especially if the hero is meant to ultimately agree with them in some way, you have to wonder if, hypothetically, the hero and the villain could have met and hashed out their differences, if they in fact have more to gain by cooperating then opposing each other. I suppose that is the element of tragedy to the story, but I guess I never really cared for that kind of tragedy, even if it is one of the oldest kinds. Especially in a game story where you hypothetically should have some control over the outcome. Personally I rather stories explore "unsympathetic allies", people who you work with and share goals with you, but are obviously into some morally dubious stuff and you have to decide if you really want them as your ally. I think that is a much more interesting story, at least for a game. Or maybe a game where the same person could be seen as either. But eh.

*silly things* *silly things* *silly things* *silly things* *silly things* *silly things* *silly things* *silly things* *silly things* *silly things* *silly things*

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I always like when something ends with happy ending ~

I mean when there is interesting story behind villain - for example people were laughing of him because of something / did something really bad to him (IDK killing his family) - and now he wants to pay off for all suffering he has experienced - to make people feel the same way *or something*. In the end, when his plans are destroyed - he becomes a good person *or something*, because let's say hero(es) *or something* convince him, that there is always the other way and help him through the new better path.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*silly things* *silly things* *silly things* *silly things* *silly things* *silly things* *silly things* *silly things* *silly things* *silly things* *silly things*

Edited by Rikifive

I enjoy villains you can relate to, but not as the main antagonists. The main antagonist in my game is ruthless and uses people as he sees fit and throws them away. He's already killed millions of people and left the world in ruins, sort of like Kefka in final fantasy six. He of course manipulates several characters into doing terrible things. two of them being the orc leaders Baal and his brother Yahweh. The orcs lost a war some time ago and humans claimed the lands and the orcs retreated underground to live in shame. He manipulates them into attacking, giving them the power to reclaim their homeland. They sweep across the plains and burn village after village slaughtering everyone. By doing so, he eliminates a future threat and it tells the struggle that the orcs went through while living underground. You can't help by feel sad for the orcs and their leaders who basically sell their souls to retake their homeland only to be abandoned in the end.

To sum it up, I don't feel that villains you can feel sympathy for can truly stand on their own.

jack of blades in fable he was on of the most well known heros and i feel for him even if i paly good in the

1st part of the game of the pc version i 9 times out of 10 put his mask on after killing him as a dargon

Edited by zebaroth

From the games I've played... I haven't ever feel sad for a villain.

In the anime world, though...

Contains spoiler for Death Note anime

I feel sad when L is dead... Then I lose my interest to continue watching Death Note.

Well, I think he's just an antagonist, but not a villain. The real villain is Light Yagami I think. xD

I've always had sympathy for the devil. Let's see how many people get that reference.
The only video game villains I can think of off the top of my head are Saturos and Menardi from the original Golden Sun.

They did all sorts of terrible things. Then, in the sequel, you learn all the efforts were to try and save the world. Not some misguided ideology where they thought the world would be a better place if they ruled it. Literally trying to save the world from dying. Their methods were far from noble, but if they had succeeded, the end would have justified the means.

I've always had sympathy for the devil. Let's see how many people get that reference.

The only video game villains I can think of off the top of my head are Saturos and Menardi from the original Golden Sun.

I feel a strong urge to play this game now. xD It sounds quite cool.

Also, about this batman thing, I feel as though the antagonists make up just as much of the game as Batman does. You can't have Batman without the Joker, or this Harley Quinn lady I've never heard of before. If it was just some plain ol' villain playing the bad guy in the games, they wouldn't be as exciting.

Edited by Outlaw

Every superhero needs their supervillain . Lol spell check recognizes "superhero" as a word, but not "supervillain". Even spell check is biased. Golden Sun 1&2 were great games for GBA. You can play them with an emulator.

I enjoy villains you can relate to, but not as the main antagonists. The main antagonist in my game is ruthless and uses people as he sees fit and throws them away. He's already killed millions of people and left the world in ruins, sort of like Kefka in final fantasy six. He of course manipulates several characters into doing terrible things. two of them being the orc leaders Baal and his brother Yahweh. The orcs lost a war some time ago and humans claimed the lands and the orcs retreated underground to live in shame. He manipulates them into attacking, giving them the power to reclaim their homeland. They sweep across the plains and burn village after village slaughtering everyone. By doing so, he eliminates a future threat and it tells the struggle that the orcs went through while living underground. You can't help by feel sad for the orcs and their leaders who basically sell their souls to retake their homeland only to be abandoned in the end.

To sum it up, I don't feel that villains you can feel sympathy for can truly stand on their own.

I really like your Orc leader names Baal and Yahwah so I gotta ask what is the main villains name?

Every superhero needs their supervillain . Lol spell check recognizes "superhero" as a word, but not "supervillain". Even spell check is biased. Golden Sun 1&2 were great games for GBA. You can play them with an emulator.

If you haven't yet I highly suggest you play Dark Dawn on 3DS

On to the topic at hand, it is hard to make a villain really sympathic but if you can you can have one of the better villains overall. Even simple characters like Gannondorf can be sympathic. Gannondorf may be the Incarnation of Demise but he has a reason to want to rule Hyrule, he did it for his people.

I felt sad for Sephiroth.

Because he was pretty.

But then, in the end I didn't have to feel too sad for him.

Because I was never able to defeat him.

Was it too difficult?  Or did mercy stay my hand?  Or was I distracted by a new game?  (Can't remember.)

Anyway, he was pretty.

Some villians are boys who are not only pretty, but skimpily dressed, and crazy.

I definitely feel sad for them.

(In real life I am not so shallow.  I promise.)

It could be argued Sephiroth was not even the villain and Janova was just manipulating him, though other's swear Sephiroth was behind everything. I think the truth is something inbetween, that when Sephiroth's will faltered Janova started sort of influencing him and drove him sort of nuts, but in the end the whole meteor plan was still his idea. But that's besides the point. The point is Sephiroth is kinda unbalanced and there is every indication that before his break he was a pretty okay guy. It's kinda interesting to think about how much was his fault or the fault of him being crazy or Janova's influence, but that is sort of what makes his story interesting if you read between the lines. Because you don't really know do you? Should you hate him, or pity him? Maybe both? Doesn't change the fact that you need to put him down like a rabid dog eventually. I guess that's another way you can feel sad for a villain without actually feeling that much sympathy for them.

There are a lot of villains I feel sad for. In many respects, it's easy to feel empathy for an otherwise evil character IF the writing is good. If the writing is just "this guy's bad because reasons," well then no, I don't feel sympathy for them. Garland/Chaos from the original Final Fantasy, for example. His reasons were unjustified and likened with madness. Really, Kefka was only a step above him in that he was drunk for power and became an evil clown god...which is goddamn scary, come to think of it.

BTW, a lot of what I'm about to mention will have spoilers, so I'll be nice...

Chrono Trigger (also Earthbound)

Lavos is just an alien spore from another planet that had hundreds of millions of years to fertilize and grow deep within the planet. It's not really "evil," per se...it's just an animal that needs put down. Lavos attempts to mimic previous events that transpired and prevent itself from destruction. It wasn't necessarily fully aware of what it was doing, much like the final version of Giygas from Earthbound.

Condemned - Criminal Origins

Serial Killer X goes around killing serial killers. Okay, so...maybe this is just the hidden vigilante in me...but isn't this a good thing? Look, he was fucking crazy, I get it...but he was KILLING KILLERS. Also, homeless people are crazy and this game is proof.

Tales of Vesperia

Those of us who stuck around for the 3rd act in a game that clearly phoned it in toward the end know that Duke is a dick. But you know, I kind of agree with him. Duke wanted ALL blastia gone. He recognized that they were destroying the planet, kinda like Barret in Final Fantasy 7. He wanted to find a way to preserve the planet because he saw what they had done and he was willing to go to drastic extremes. He didn't HAVE to, as there was a way to compromise, but he wasn't exactly villainous as a result.

He was a goddamn treehugger and the final villain. Ehhh. Sad too, because the game was phenomenal up until the last few hours of gameplay.

Point is a lot of villains can be recognized as villains or simply having the best of intentions, but poor execution, much like Final Fantasy 13. OH NO HE DI-INT.

Lavos is just an alien spore from another planet that had hundreds of millions of years to fertilize and grow deep within the planet. It's not really "evil," per se...it's just an animal that needs put down. Lavos attempts to mimic previous events that transpired and prevent itself from destruction. It wasn't necessarily fully aware of what it was doing, much like the final version of Giygas from Earthbound.

You feel sorry for Lavos? What do you feel sorry for viruses or ticks? Lavos was a parasite or a plague. I guess you can pity it, but your pity serves no real point. It won't understand or care. It's like a force of nature or a machine. It's possible to feel sorry for it doesn't really make me sad exactly.

Giygas from Earthbound though... well if you believe it's the same villain from Mother, it was an intelligent being with thoughts or feelings at one time. It couldn't deal with it's feelings so it tried to kill them all away, but in the process destroyed it's very self until there was nothing left but madness and malice. That I think is a sad story. They say "Those who make a beast of themself gets rid of the pain of being man", but at least man can deal with their pain, a beast may not even recognize it.

Edited by KilloZapit

You feel sorry for Lavos? What do you feel sorry for viruses or ticks? Lavos was a parasite or a plague. I guess you can pity it, but your pity serves no real point. It won't understand or care. It's like a force of nature or a machine. It's possible to feel sorry for it doesn't really make me sad exactly.

Giygas from Earthbound though... well if you believe it's the same villain from Mother, it was an intelligent being with thoughts or feelings at one time. It couldn't deal with it's feelings so it tried to kill them all away, but in the process destroyed it's very self until there was nothing left but madness and malice. That I think is a sad story. They say "Those who make a beast of themself gets rid of the pain of being man", but at least man can deal with their pain, a beast may not even recognize it.

What? A guy can't have an affection for a virus? What if it was a virus that turned people to fairy's? You'd totally be in love with it! I bet that's what your fairy dust really is, isn't it?  :P

Back on topic, this isn't a video game reference (unless there was a tie-in game), but I was watching Malificent last night. She's not really a full-fledged villain. Hero to villain and back to hero. Still, considering why she took a turn for the villainous, it's hard to blame her. No spoilers. If anyone hasn't seen it, it's a decent movie. Like most Disney movies, it was a bit too "Disney" for me.

What? A guy can't have an affection for a virus? What if it was a virus that turned people to fairy's? You'd totally be in love with it! I bet that's what your fairy dust really is, isn't it?  :P

Back on topic, this isn't a video game reference (unless there was a tie-in game), but I was watching Malificent last night. She's not really a full-fledged villain. Hero to villain and back to hero. Still, considering why she took a turn for the villainous, it's hard to blame her. No spoilers. If anyone hasn't seen it, it's a decent movie. Like most Disney movies, it was a bit too "Disney" for me.

I guess a weirdo might have affection for a virus, sure. But most won't. Destroying something that you can't , and could never, reason with at all doesn't strike me as particularly tragic or sad.

Also Malificent was too Disney? Including the blatant date rape analogy mutilation? Luring a innocent fairy in, knocking her out, and cutting off her wings... horrible! I never saw the movie really but how do you play that off? And not to mention it was a metaphor for stealing a girl's "wings" too? Sick.

Edited by KilloZapit

I guess a weirdo might have affection for a virus, sure. But most won't. Destroying something that you can't , and could never, reason with at all doesn't strike me as particularly tragic or sad.

Also Malificent was too Disney? Including the blatant date rape analogy mutilation? Luring a innocent fairy in, knocking her out, and cutting off her wings... horrible! I never saw the movie really but how do you play that off? And not to mention it was a metaphor for stealing a girl's "wings" too? Sick.

It's kinda like getting attached to a car or a favorite shirt. Those aren't even alive and people feel sad when they "die". Virus is kinda weird. Unless I'm the one who created the virus, I wouldn't feel any attachment.

Yes, Maleficent was too Disney for me. It was dark, but Disney dark.  You'd have to see the movie, I suppose. It just didn't really resonate with me. My idea of dark would push the boundary of an "R" rating for a movie. Not even with anything visually graphic (though it likely would be). Really dig deep into the psychological aspect.  I have a twisted rat's nest of a brain though. I'm the last person to use as a barometer of "dark".          Or normal...         or sane ...