****EDIT**** x 5 I added another one to the list  ^_^

I've been playing around with different puzzle ideas to add into my game. I posted a bunch that I'm already using so feel free to use them if you like 'em. I just added other ideas some other ppl added.

"Push the Block" A very basic puzzle to set up. I'm sure you've seen 'em before in Zelda and various RPGs. Simple goal. Push the block into a pit or onto a switch to open a new path.You can get surprisingly complex with these. I have a couple that require pushing a block down a hole on one floor to activate a switch on a lower one. I'll likely add one or two that involve sliding 'em across ice. If your feeling really froggy, make it so the player can drag or even pick blocks up.

'Step on Every Tile" The player enters a room wherein in order to unlock a door or make a chest appear, they have to walk on every single. Stepping on any tile twice or not touching them all before touching the end tile (some type of switch) results in failure. It sounds simple, but a large room with lots of obstacles can make it a very tricky puzzle to solve. I'd recommend drawing it out on grid paper first. Of course, make sure it's possible to solve, but also try and make it so there's only one or two routes.

"Random Switches" This is a really simple one. Have a set of switches that have to be activated in a specific order. Hitting the wrong one resets the puzzle. You'll want to reset the puzzle if the player leaves the room or dungeon, too.

"????" I have no idea what to call this  :blink: It's kinda specialized for my game, but it can be adapted. The player needs a special skill called "Grind". It destroys certain boulders to open paths or uncover stuff. This puzzle uses the latter. I have a room of six of these boulders. There are switches randomly placed under them via a Random Number variable. There's a 50/50 chance either a switch will be uncovered or a monster which forces a battle. Three switches are requires to be pressed to unlock a door. To ensure three can be uncovered, I made it so the player is guaranteed to find one after a monster battle. You definitely want to reset this puzzle if the player leaves.

"Sand Trap" This one is a bit clunky the way I have it set up. If anyone can think of a better way to do this, please share. The player enters a room. There's a winding, narrow path.

The player steps onto switch and sand begins to fill the room. The player has to get to the other side of the room before the sand gets too high or they fail. I was nice and didn't make it a "Game Over" scenario. The puzzle just resets with the player back near the entrance. I used pictures for the rising sand. After so many frames a picture with a higher sand level replaces the current one.

The whole thing runs on parallel processes. The process for the picture coordinates can't quite

keep up with the player running causing it to go a bit off center. I prolly didn't explain that as well as I could have. It's been awhile since I set it up, and I'm at work atm.

"Ice Slide" One of many LoZ inspired puzzles. There's a room full of icy floor tiles. You step on one and you slide across the ice in whatever direction you're facing. You keep going until you run out of ice or something stops you. I'm sure you've seen it before. This is another one that is simple in nature, but you can easily get very complex with it. Especially if you add some blocks to push.

"Chase" There's lots of ways to do this. The one I'm going to have is a bit specific, but can be adapted. I haven't even tried eventing this yet. It's a though experiment right now. A little exposition: There's a mage who went a lil bit crazy and sealed himself inside a cave. He's convinced "they" are out to get him. You try and talk some sense into him, and he bolts down a tunnel forcing you to give chase. It's essentially a race. To make things interesting, Mr. Mage casts spells that turn the floor to ice or stun you if hit. Of course, there's other obstacles, too. It's impossible to touch him, he'll be slightly faster than the dash speed. There's a fun script that can do that. The tunnel essentially makes a winding circle back to the first chamber. If you don't reach the chamber in time, he collapses it, trapping you (He seals the other side when you run through it.) That first part happens automatically so you can't just stand in the chamber and wait for him.

"Defeat the Enemies" Simple enough, A room full of enemy sprites. Touch 'em and a battle ensues. Killing all the troops unlocks a door or makes a chest appear. Another variation is instead of killing all of them one of them has a key.

"Light the Torches!" Yet another LoZ inspired puzzle. I don't currently plan to use it, but I may for a later dungeon. There's a room full of unlit torches. Using a skill or item, the player races to light them all before any go out. Light 'em all to unlock a door or make a chest appear.

"Push the Torch" A clever variation of the "Light the Torch" puzzle. Golden Sun had a few of these. A block of ice is blocking the way ahead. The only way to get past it is to push a torch on a pillar over to it. The problem is, water is dripping down from the ceiling in certain spots. The player must avoid having the torch get hit by the drops or the flame will go out.

"Spike Traps" I had a lot of fun with these :) RPG Maker came with the proper tilesets for this Yay! Rows and rows of spikes shoot up from the floor and then retract. Touch the spikes and you take damage. Take too much damage, and you're HP drops to zero. Game Over. All you need is timers and move routes and you can create a gauntlet of these for the player to try and run past.

"Arrow Traps" Basically the same as spike traps. Arrows shoot from the walls. The player tries not to get shot.

"Mirror Puzzle" I actually ended up scrapping this for the time being. I couldn't find an efficient way to set it up. It can probably be done with a Lighting Engine Script. I really don't wanna add a light engine. I got enough stuff to implement already (if ya can't tell).This idea is straight outta "Ocarina of Time" 'Member when you were in that one level, and there were a bunch of mirrors and light comin' down from the ceiling? You rotated the mirrors and used the Mirror Shield to reflect the light off 'em and trigger a switch? Yeah, the 2D version of that.

"Maze" @Guyver- I have one puzzle in my game and it's a normal maze. The catch is that there are circling magic portals that patrol the halls and if they touch you then you get sent back to the start. It's a large area so you can't always see them.

@xoferew- Flip the switches to make pieces of floor appear to complete a path that you can walk across to get to the treasure etc.  Some switches make pieces of floor appear that are not helpful in completing the path.  Some switches make pieces of floor that you thought were permanent disappear, thus changing your idea of what floor pieces you need.  And (this is the best/worst part) all the switches are scooting around the room randomly so it's like a shell game trying to remember where the switch you need went.   To make it less infuriating you can have three blue, three red, three yellow or something.  It's still infuriating tho.   ^_^

I just mapped out how this on paper minus the flying switches. Hopefully, I didn't screw up. 

@Frysning-In my game I made a Lost woods kind of puzzle. So you enter a room and have 4 exits. choice the right one and move one. Get the bad one and start over again. 

-Beat the enemies in a specific order.
-Collect materials to make a bridge to move along.

@ Killozapit-I always liked logic gate puzzles but maybe that is just my inner computer nerd talking. I also thought of a puzzle once that involved choosing two random hexadecimal numbers (rendered with these symbols) and a random operator, and just had you solve the problem. I didn't ever try to actually put it in a game or anything though. I also thought of one that involved characters being matched with Sephirot but that was rather abstract and personal. Would kinda be fun to do something that involved a lot of abstract symbolism as a puzzle, but I am not sure if it could be figured out that well.

I also like puzzles that involve prisms and reflecting light beams :3

"Maze Run" I forgot to post this one originally. There's a couple versions of this. One from Runescape and another LoZ inspired one. It's like a puzzle/mini-game. The player has to run through and solve a labyrinth in a certain amount of time. Complete it and win a prize. You can also make better prizes for faster completion times. 

The LoZ version is a mini-dungeon with a gauntlet of puzzles to solve. The specif example I'm thinking of is from Ocarina of Time. There were many locked doors that required you to find many keys. You had to solve a wide variety of puzzles and use a lot of different items to get them all.

@Sixth-  "Mirror Move"  There's a couple different versions of this. The first is where there's a room of enemies that mirror your every move. When lined up and facing you, they fire a projectile. You have to draw them into your line of fire. This can also be used with obstacles, traps, or simply to try and avoid battles against powerful opponents.

The other version is a split room. One half is the player, the other a mirror image. The mirror image of the player mirrors every move. There's a switches on both sides that need to be activated at the same time. The problem is, the paths to them are different. So they player has to navigate the mirror self so it and they reach their switches at the same time. 

"Chase" @Dymdez This is different than the above version. An enemy or an object like a boulder chases you. You can also make continuous obstacles for the player to dodge using an event spawner. Dymdez was kind enough to post a demo:  https://www.dropbox....e Demo.exe?dl=0 

@Devonm0- One puzzle I really like, that I think can be accomplished in the RPG Maker comes from Lufia II.  In the game's seventh dungeon there is a series of three rooms that are the last obstacle before the dungeon boss.  Each of these rooms contains a block puzzle consisting of yellow and red blocks, and the concept is that any red blocks that form a line between two yellow blocks become yellow, and vice versa.  The objective of each puzzle is to make all blocks in the room yellow in a certain number of moves, specified as moving only so many red and so many yellow blocks.

"Obstacles 'n' Stuff" Some ideas for some traps/obstacles.

• Wind gusts that blow the player around. They can be used just to push them back or off ledges or used to propel the player to another location. 
  • "Living torches" Those fun torches that periodically shoot fireballs at you.
  • Sliding spikes. Not sure if I posted this on here. Those blocks full of spikes that slide across the room and deal damage if they hit you. Yeah, those.
  • Collapsing tiles- The floor disappears one tile at a time or in certain pattern. Get across before you fall into the bottomless pit. Add any or all of the above traps for added difficulty.

@devonm0- "Sinking Tiles" There's several different versions of this. The one he described is where floor tiles rise and sink into lava in a specific order. The player has to time their movements to got across the room or field. Any puzzle where tiles periodically appear and reappear fit into this.

@devonm0- "Puzzle Bosses" Bosses that are essentially a giant puzzle that need to be solved in order to beat them. You see these a lot in action/adventure type games. In those, usually you have to interact with the environment in some way to defeat a boss. Rotating mirrors to shine light on a ghost, restoring power to something to shock the hell out of a boss, opening trap doors, etc. Really, the only limit to these is your own imagination and skill.

The other version is a traditional turn-based battle where the boss itself is a puzzle. The player has to hit the boss with skills in a specific order or the correct element at the right time. The boss can be a multi-link type (one big boss where individual parts of it are targetable), and the targets have to be hit or destroyed in a specific order. There could also be several individual enemies that have to be beat in a certain order. The player may have to figure out how to stop or avoid the boss's "ultimate attack". There's lot of ways to do this version, too.

"Color Puzzles"  A different thread reminded me of another puzzle type. A bit of a unique one. Colors! Essentially, it's the same as the light prism puzzle. You create certain colors to activate machines, open doors, defeat enemies, etc. I wanted to add it as it's own because personally I have an easier time thinking about color it terms of paint or dye than light. The one big difference is with light combining every color results in white and black is the absence of light. Color is the opposite. Mixing every color gives you black and no color is considered white. 

Anyway, there's actually a lot you can do with this type of puzzle. The type I have in mind would be in the gameplay is based around color. Like bringing colors to a gray world type of thing.The simplest is to have colors represent elements. red = fire; blue = water; etc.That can be used in combat and puzzle bosses. It can also be used to interact with objects. Throw some red liquid on a spider web and it acts like fire and burns it away so you can pass. Pour blue onto a plant a vine grows that you climb. Pour yellow in a machine to power it. Get the idea?

If the game doesn't use color as a core mechanic, it's a lot harder to find a place to implement, but a little creativity goes a long way. It's a great way to add a bit of uniqueness to your game if you can pull it off.   :)

Timed Puzzles I can't believe I missed these. You can add a timer to all sorts of events and puzzles to create a sense of urgency:

• Solve a puzzle in x seconds.
  • Complete a dungeon within the time limit.
  • Collect items/shoot targets/evade attacks in seconds.
  • Escape capture or from a huge explosion/cave-in/etc before it kills you.
  • Racing minigames.
  • Defuse a bomb.
  • Hack a system and steal data, and escape before detected or traced

There all nice and consolidated. There's lots of ideas to help y'all come up with some puzzles   :) 

Edited by lonequeso

I have one puzzle in my game and it's a normal maze. The catch is that there are circling magic portals that patrol the halls and if they touch you then you get sent back to the start. It's a large area so you can't always see them.

I made it, and I absolutely hate it lol

Sounds evil  :) That just made another one pop in my head. There's one I forgot to list, too.

"Teleport Maze" A simpler version of what Guyver posted. There's a bunch of rooms with portals or teleport pads. Going through them in the right order to get past. There's lot of fun ways you can play with that.

"Sneak Past the Guards" Pretty much what it sounds like. You have a map full of guards. If they see you, they either attack, throw you in jail, or the puzzle just resets. I'm curious if there's a script that can do this efficiently. The idea I have is based on line of sight. Several "Event Touch" events would be in a line in whatever direction they're facing. This one just a thought experiment atm.

That makes 15 puzzles so far.  :D

Edited by lonequeso

Flip the switches to make pieces of floor appear to complete a path that you can walk across to get to the treasure etc.  Some switches make pieces of floor appear that are not helpful in completing the path.  Some switches make pieces of floor that you thought were permanent disappear, thus changing your idea of what floor pieces you need.  And (this is the best/worst part) all the switches are scooting around the room randomly so it's like a shell game trying to remember where the switch you need went.   To make it less infuriating you can have three blue, three red, three yellow or something.  It's still infuriating tho.  ^_^

Few of the things I use.

In my game I made a Lost woods kind of puzzle. So you enter a room and have 4 exits. choice the right one and move one. Get the bad one and start over again. I hate these puzzles.... and I made one myself...

Beat the enemies in a specific order.

Collect materials to make a bridge to move along.

@xoferew That's devious  :) That would be one of the harder puzzles to solve. I'd save that for a later dungeon or an optional one where I try to drive the player completely insane.

@Frysing Lost Woods. Let another Zelda inspired puzzle. I forgot all about that one. They can be frustrating. Golden Sun had an interesting variation. You could use an ability called "Grow" that would make a plant grow and point the right way. You can easily find your way through, but without exploring the other paths, you miss treasure. 

Beating enemies in a specific order. That's a good one for when I get bored of the other kill the monster puzzles. With the exception of those, everything is random encounter. That's a nice variation. Hmm... It could work within a troop of enemies, too. Multi-link enemies are always interesting. They can make for some tough bosses, too.

Collecting Materials to build a bridge. Not a bad idea, either. I'm having a hard time seeing how to work that in my game, though. I know what type of scenario I'd use. Not sure if it will come up.

19 puzzles in this post now. The nest egg is growing  :) This is fun. 

Oh, a few more I've done:

Get from point A to point B opening only 10 doors.  The map is compact enough that you can see a good ways ahead, it's not like a maze that's designed to get you lost, it's easy to get to the destination using 9 doors or 11, and then back to the beginning you go.  Plus a couple doors that send you back a ways but you may not realize it until you notice that it's the doors with vines on the wall that do that.  Dead ends have chests so you do want to explore the whole thing. 

Slime catch.  Put a slime sprite on random/highest frequency in an area where there are a lot of obstacles to bounce off of so it will change direction a lot.  Just catch it.

Rock paper scissors with zombies.  Not a puzzle so much, just a minigame I guess.  I had to defeat maybe 20 zombies.  I had to win 3 times against a zombie to defeat it.  It could win as many times as it wanted so long as it didn't win 3 in a row.  My wins didn't have to be in a row.  You could also make it so winning the game initiated the fight. 

That door one would be interesting to set up.

I really like the slime catch. You can put pretty much anything there to try and catch which means there's lots of possible scenarios. I probably wouldn't use it in a dungeon. That feels like a sidequest or minigame. Mini game would be really fun. There's various sprites with various speeds. The faster they are, the more they're worth. Kinda like catching the cuccos in Zelda. That would be a really cool lil game. It reminds me of a fun one from Banjo Kazooie. You were a mini crocodile in a large dome. Fruits would pop out of the ground in various patterns. There were several colors. You would try and eat the most fruit possible. If you reach a certain number within the time limit you win. The caveat is only one color would award points. The color would switch at random intervals. If you eat the wrong color, it stuns you for a few seconds.

I don't think I'd add rock paper scissors. Playing it against a zombie is a interesting twist. Did the zombie eat your brain if you lost?

Slime catch (or whatever catch) is an especially good one for newbies as it takes almost no knowledge of even eventing.  (Not that you are a newbie.)  Then after you catch it various people can challenge you to a slime race.  In the slime race you and the other person's slime are in a little arena and you watch to see whose slime reaches a goal first.  It was all random, I never developed the idea beyond that, but I'm sure a clever person could add skill or training or something.  Each arena was different in terms of barrier placement, number of goals, etc.  Always good if you can bet money.

I think losing at rock paper scissors was Game Over so one would just imagine the brain-eating part.  I recall that while all the other villagers were hiding and trembling in fear at the zombie invasion there was one innocent little girl saying "I wuv wock paper scissors!  I hope I get a turn to pway!"

Puzzles are something I have trouble with myself. I don't really use much puzzels, but some of the lame ones i use include:

The Room: A very large maze room where the player has to find the exit

The Quiz: An actor quizes the player on in game invents. Its hard to call it a puzzle, but it can be if you

implement some challenging questions

The Search: The player must find one or more objects hidden in a large area among other objects. They must find this object to open a gate, or door.

A have a few little mazes, too. Nothing super elaborate. If you really want to mess with the player's head, add some portals. Or moving walls that are moved via switches.

Quiz is more of a mini game. It's not a bad thing to have. It was one of the few things I liked in FF13.

I made an intentionally stupid side-quest where you have to find a lost cat. Basically the same thing as what you described. There were several cats in the town so you had to find the correct one.

I'm making a very long game so I have a lot of use for puzzles. I'm just getting far enough that I can start making some more complex ones. I drew out my world map a very long time ago. When I did, I added a bunch of extra areas, caves and whatnot without knowing what to add. I did that because I knew as my game developed I'd find ways to utilize them. The main thing is something I came up with last week. Magic Books. They're basically the same as the hidden Limit Breaks in FF7. There's 25 in all so I need lots of good places to hide them.

Now that I actually listed all those plus everything everyone else contributed, I'm coming up with ideas to combine some of them. I just so happen to be close to where I have to make the next dungeon. I'm going to try and add some more complex puzzles to it. 

I always liked logic gate puzzles but maybe that is just my inner computer nerd talking. I also thought of a puzzle once that involved choosing two random hexadecimal numbers (rendered with these symbols) and a random operator, and just had you solve the problem. I didn't ever try to actually put it in a game or anything though. I also thought of one that involved characters being matched with Sephirot but that was rather abstract and personal. Would kinda be fun to do something that involved a lot of abstract symbolism as a puzzle, but I am not sure if it could be figured out that well.

Programming is no my thing. It'd be really difficult for me just to set up. That idea had modern/sci fi written all over it. My people just barely discovered gunpowder and electricity  :) Thy would burn you as witch if you tried to show them that. Not really. Well, in one town maybe.

I remember one of those in Runescape. That particular puzzle was a pain in the ass like most other things in Runescape. It would be a cool to set up something like that, but also very time consuming. I saw a tutorial for a light puzzle on here before. Very complex. I'd want to use a lighting engine anyway if I'm playing with light. That''s not happeneing

One I always hate:  sound/music puzzles.  Because I'm pretty tone deaf.  "Listen to this short tune and then go in the other room and whack out a matching sequence on on these crystals!"  No.  I can't.  :(

Maybe something to consider:  will a puzzle be one you really must figure out or will the player be able to "solve" it by patiently trying all the combinations?  Because often in video games I don't grasp the "rule" of the puzzle but eventually the gate clicks open despite my lack of cleverness.  Of course it depends how many combinations there are.  This can be good-ish or bad-ish.

There are plenty of games I have quit in the middle because I get stuck on one frustrating puzzle and don't want to google the answer because that feels like complete defeat.  I always figure I'll try again later and maybe I do but still can't get it...  I often wish there was a middle ground of in-game hints.

Yeah, I always thought puzzles should be optional challenges rather then required to beat the game, or at least peppered around the game in a nonlinear way. Throwing a puzzle at the player and expecting them to beat it right there and then before they can progress at all seems like a good way to kill the player's interest.

...Then there are games where I'm Level 10000000 because I'm stuck on a puzzle and can't advance the plot so I just do the one thing I can do, kill monsters.  I finally figure out the puzzle and the game is now terribly unbalanced...

One I always hate:  sound/music puzzles.  Because I'm pretty tone deaf.  "Listen to this short tune and then go in the other room and whack out a matching sequence on on these crystals!"  No.  I can't.  :(

Maybe something to consider:  will a puzzle be one you really must figure out or will the player be able to "solve" it by patiently trying all the combinations?  Because often in video games I don't grasp the "rule" of the puzzle but eventually the gate clicks open despite my lack of cleverness.  Of course it depends how many combinations there are.  This can be good-ish or bad-ish.

There are plenty of games I have quit in the middle because I get stuck on one frustrating puzzle and don't want to google the answer because that feels like complete defeat.  I always figure I'll try again later and maybe I do but still can't get it...  I often wish there was a middle ground of in-game hints.

Techinaclly, the "Step on every tile puzzle is one you can do by process of elimination. It would take forever though. The "Push the Block" puzzles are like that as well, but if you screw up you have to leave and re-enter the room to start over. The player is better served thinking for both of those. The only one that's easy to solve by process of elimination is the "Random Switch" I have. It's meant to be like that, though.

I prolly won;t use Music puzzles just because they don't really interest me. I remember one from an old NES game where there was a giant keyboard you could walk on. You had to play "Do rae mi fa so la ti do" to solve. I'm pretty sure I just got really lucky and solved it.

Yeah, I always thought puzzles should be optional challenges rather then required to beat the game, or at least peppered around the game in a nonlinear way. Throwing a puzzle at the player and expecting them to beat it right there and then before they can progress at all seems like a good way to kill the player's interest.

I like throwing them in all my dungeons. I haven't put in anything too hard so far. I'm slowly ramping up the difficulty of both the battles and the puzzles. That way, I don't discourage the player. Personally, I like Legend of Zelda style dungeons where the entire dungeon is essentially one big puzzle.  I have two of those types so far. I always liked games like that. Still, if you're not a fan of puzzles or not good at 'em you probably won't like my game.

The first...say 1/3 or 1/4 of my game is linear. I needed it to be to control when you met the characters that join you. There's ten in all so having 9 people join up with the main at once didn't really make sense. It also let me establish a difficulty curve. The game opens up a lot more after all the actors are in the party. I actually need to go back and make another part linear for the last one. The player can do way to much stuff without her, and it's a pain making conditional branches everywhere for if she in the party or not. Plus, it can really throw the level and class balance off for her, too. 

You could scatter the party members around the world like the SaGa series does, but nothing is wrong with a bit of linearity. I just think puzzles are a pain when they stop you in your tracks is all.

My party members are scattered, but I already figured out how to get the player where they need to go. I actually planned it a long time ago, and completely forgot about it. I had all this stuff typed out, but it's gone now. :(  Just going off of memory at this point. Lol there's a town in the part of the map I'm working on. I have no clue why the hell I put it there. I'll probably leave it out.

The puzzles shouldn't be anything too daunting. One of my Zelda style dungeons is actually really straightforward. The one after is a bit more complex. I don't have too much experience in making super complex puzzles and dungeons. The goal is to be good enough to do it well by the time I get to the point in the game where they start to get complex. That's progressing perfectly so far  :)

I have a good balance going so far. It's enough of a challenge to where I'm not holding the player's hand throughout, but not making them pull their hair out, either. Every play a game where it seems like the developer assumes you're really stupid and walks you through every little detail? I hate that. Like cartoons on the 80's where they reiterate the plot every two minutes. 

Lmao!  One of my characters may just kill the kid himself. The only hints I have are from NPCs. Occasionally, they give you clues about where to go or what to do. Nothing regarding puzzle solving. I can't make things too easy now  :D