Tidloc's Lockpick Minigame v.1.1.2
by Tidloc

Introduction
Ever wanted to lock you doors a safe way so no unwanted guests come in? well, to bad that's not possible anymore, since the protagonist can now pick your locks!

Features
- lockpicking minigame without leaving the Map scene
- result of the lockpicking is saved in a global switch, so in events it can be branched easily

Screenshot

How to Use
paste it of course above main, below all standart-scripts and my Header. All instructions of how to setup this script is in the top of the script.
If you don't have graphics you can use, the script is adjusted to these at the moment, feel free to use the attached graphics (take care of the folder, defined in the constant images of the script or alter it so it matches). Anyway, if you use them, please credit Victor Maker for them. But also: if anyone is willing to improve upon the graphics that would be greatly appreciated! :)

Demo
Download this file.

Script
Downloads:
Lockpick script.

FAQ

Q: I found a bug or have a suggestion, how ca I contact you?

A: please look into my signature, there you'll always find the most recent contact information!

Q: How does it work?
A: You have to press :C when the pin is as far up as it goes to arrest it. as soon as all pins are arrested, the lock is considered opened

Credits and Thanks
- Tidloc

I'm always open to suggestions or ideas, so feel free to contact me or write an answer =))

Changelog:

09/10/2015: 1.0: release of the script
09/10/2015: 1.1: included Count_Var and czech translation
22/01/2016: added a short Demo
10/03/2016: 1.1.2: fixed a crash occurring with Khas lightning script (and maybe some other scripts too)

04/29/2018: updated contact information

LockPick.zip

Edited by Tidloc

How does it work? I mean the mechanics of the lockpicking process...

The pins move up and down, and the player need to press a button to advance the lockpick into the lock?

When a pin blocks the lockpick, it fails, if not, advances one level (moves the lockpick to the next pin)?

When the lockpick reaches the end, the lock opens?

There is no info about this in the header, so I thought asking it wouldn't hurt. It didn't... I hope. :D

Edited by Sixth

you have to press :C when the pin is as far up as it goes to arrest it. as soon as all pins are arrested, the lock is considered opened ^_^

Edited by Tidloc

you can make it easy or challenging, depends on your used configuration ;)

also if you need anything more to make it extra challenging, just say, what you got in mind

Ooooh, this very much brings back some Oblivion nostalgia (which is my first Elder Scrolls game); I could really see this script being useful, and btw; what are the terms for this script? Commercial use free? Non-commercial only?

I just wanted to add my two cents, seeing as I'll be using this script (very grateful). I was messing with it for a while before getting it to work, so maybe I can save someone else some time.

1. Make sure at Line 95 in Tidloc's Lockpicking script you have changed the number for "Result_switch" to whatever number switch you have created for "minigame won".

2. Make sure the three .png files from Tidloc's demo are in a folder in this directory: Your_project/Graphics/Pictures/Games/LockPick/ and put em there.

3. In my game, I was using Yanfly scripts, and the back.png and pin.png pictures did not line up right in the minigame. After trial and error, I found that in Line 105 in the Lockpicking script, Start_pick = 131 worked for me.

I personally wasnt able to get it to check if lockpicks were in my inventory, so I just gave my 'hero' an 'unbreakable pick' and made sure to have every locked door had a switch condition = 'pick owned' so he couldnt pick it before

he actually got the pick. I also ran into problems with the minigame popping up even after I had successfully opened it, and at that point, even failing to pick it would open the door. I fixed this with some self switches that didnt take too

long to figure out, but I can elaborate more with screenshots if anyone is actually interested.

Like I said, my two cents. Hope it helps someone.

And thank you Tidloc for this awesome script.

SIDE NOTE:

I keep getting this could someone help me?

CpcOJjjVMAAFXn9.jpg

Your image is broken, try again and I'll try to help?

There is an incompatibility with the "Khas Awesome Light Effects" It crashes when you try to start any lock picking session, I even tried in a blank project, still crashes out of nowhere:

"Script' Game_Interpreter' line 1414: ArgumentError occurred.

wrong number of arguments (0 for 1)"

Hello. I want to use the script and I set all up. But I have encountered a problem.
When I hit all the pins the game ends the door opens. (that's ok it works like intended)
BUT
When I miss, the door still opens. (now this is where I have a problem)
Can anyone help me out? Please. I really want to use this awesome script

I am getting this error when doing it.

So I'm doing this:

Spoiler

reasonforerror2.PNG.508b3d30e4d3179ac6ba3dfc8da0c084.PNG

When it gives me this:

Spoiler

error2.PNG.091d90d0319f56bfaa228b7e41d671b8.PNG

So I'm not sure if I should scrap it and try something else or if there is a way to make th common event work.

Edit: tried doing it on a singular event instead of a common event.

Spoiler

2084318784_trytofixerror2.PNG.90254ac39f3cdaf6fbe6a10e76b3ac46.PNG

I still get the same issue

Edited by xSydRowex

You need to reverse your thought pattern.

You're using >= where you should be using <=

If the random number (or assigned) is 80

Having 

<= 25 returns false; next 

<= 50 returns false; next

<= 75 returns false; next

<= 100 returns true; do action

If it was 35 you would get 

<= 25 false

<= 50 true

The structure should also be nested.

Conditional branch <=25

do action

else

conditional branch <=50

do action

else

conditional branch <=75

do action

else

do action (must be more than 75 but less than 100)

end

end

end

The way you have it says if my number is 80

<= 25 ; false

>= 25 true

>= 50 true

>= 75 true

Edited by roninator2

Yes, Now I don't know if the script calls are good as I've only use the demo's examples for testing.

image.png.357b982f00ecb635a9269c4637583c0f.png

I also think your 0.1 will not work.

The script says " Tidloc.exe "LockPick",:game,*d*,*r*,*p*  "

So the numbers your using are the difficulty, which point to the array for speeds.

Speeds        = [[1  ,1  ,1  ,1  ,1.2],
                       [1.6,1.6,1.6,1.6,2  ],
                       [2  ,2  ,2.1,2.2,2.3]]
first line is 0 second is 1 third is 2

Edited by roninator2