Hi so I'm working on making my very first horror rpg called "Revenant's Edge" but I've run into a few problems so if anyone could give me a few helpful tips that would be awesome. Ok, so my first problem is with my choice text being dark like the rest of the background instead of normal like the regular text box. My next problem is that while I got one chase scene to work through multiple events I still need some help finding an easier way to make something chase and damage the character. After that I need help finding a simple horror menu screen with only three options, items, load, and a journal/notebook with no character screen. And lastly, I was wondering if anyone has a script or some tips on how to make a jump scare using an image flashing on the screen.

P.S. if anyone knows of a good anti-lag script that would really help a lot too.

Here's a few screenshots of the game:

post-55449-0-62445200-1442258890_thumb.png

post-55449-0-97606300-1442259004_thumb.png

post-55449-0-65522800-1442260289_thumb.png

1. No idea. =P

2. I'm not sure ~ it depends on how smart AI you want - if it can be stupid, then you can simply use approach movement with event touch, where there'll be HP lose in contents. If you want smart monsters etc. then I think you'd need a script that will make pathfinding easier for them. And you can also have fun with custom movement. =P

3. That is totally doable without searching for scripts - I see you have removed some commands and removed gold window ~ removing character window is as easy as removing gold window. As for commands, I see you handled these, though for journal I think you'll need a script.

4. Hmm.... You could make that in events - put show picture command and tint screen/picture to make it flash etc..

5. Here you can find some comparisons between anti-lag scripts: LINK < or buy the 'probably' best anti-lag script.

1.Your lighting script is tinting your message box as well, set the Z value in the script to a bit lower like 20 less.
2.For a chaseing script there is a few out there. I personally like Rokan Symbol Encounter, but there is also Yanflys chase event which works just as well.
3. There are quest journal scripts, I like Modern Algebras quest script. As for a simple menu, luna engine works wonders, its what I used on my horror game.
4. I would use show picture event command, this is fairly simple.

The anti lag script I find best is Theos Ultimate anti lag. 

Edited by Brank

1.Your lighting script is tinting your message box as well, set the Z value in the script to a bit lower like 20 less.

2.For a chaseing script there is a few out there. I personally like Rokan Symbol Encounter, but there is also Yanflys chase event which works just as well.

3. There are quest journal scripts, I like Modern Algebras quest script. As for a simple menu, luna engine works wonders, its what I used on my horror game.

4. I would use show picture event command, this is fairly simple.

The anti lag script I find best is Theos Ultimate anti lag. 

Thanks, I'll be sure to try these suggestions. I already tried the lighting fix and that already helped me out a ton so I will be sure to remember to change the Z value for future projects if I run into the same problem again. ;)

I'm not sure what light script you're using, but I set my Z value on Khas Awesome lights to 100 with excellent results. If you put the Z value to low it might not tint things you were wanting to have tinted, so look out for that.

I've recently taken a crack at jump scares. A lot of the scare factor is actually in the audio; the accompanying picture just makes it unnerving. Create tension with sounds (or lack of any sounds) and create feelings of vulnerability, then spring the jump scare on them (or don't).

Creating balanced audio in RPGmaker is a bit tough because the tools are limited. But what I'm getting at is... DON'T BLAST THE PLAYER WITH A SFX THAT WILL HURT THEIR EARS.

Keep the jump scare audio at about the same level you'd have BGM set as, and remove the other sounds to make the jump scare audio more prominent.

Depending on what the jump scare audio is will depend on the timings for playing the audio and showing the picture. But here's some timings to try and adjust from:

Play SFX

wait 7 frames

show picture

wait 2 frames

erase picture

I'm not sure what light script you're using, but I set my Z value on Khas Awesome lights to 100 with excellent results. If you put the Z value to low it might not tint things you were wanting to have tinted, so look out for that.

I've recently taken a crack at jump scares. A lot of the scare factor is actually in the audio; the accompanying picture just makes it unnerving. Create tension with sounds (or lack of any sounds) and create feelings of vulnerability, then spring the jump scare on them (or don't).

Creating balanced audio in RPGmaker is a bit tough because the tools are limited. But what I'm getting at is... DON'T BLAST THE PLAYER WITH A SFX THAT WILL HURT THEIR EARS.

Keep the jump scare audio at about the same level you'd have BGM set as, and remove the other sounds to make the jump scare audio more prominent.

Depending on what the jump scare audio is will depend on the timings for playing the audio and showing the picture. But here's some timings to try and adjust from:

Play SFX

wait 7 frames

show picture

wait 2 frames

erase picture

I fixed the lighting problem I was having by changing Z in Khas Awesome Lighting effects to 20.

Here's a screen shot of the fixed lighting screen (I made the cursor myself!):

post-55449-0-32085600-1442440943_thumb.png

And I totally agree about the audio being a huge factor, I mean have you ever played The Crooked Man? Yikes! I can only play that for so long before I have to take a break because my heart is beating so fast! I think I have a lot of good sound effects to choose from but my biggest issue was with the picture scares because I could never seem to get the timing right so I'll see if your suggestion works and find some more creepy pictures to use in the game. ;)