Sign in to follow this  
Glyxis

Parallax Mapping (Bigger Maps)

Hello. (Umm, first I must say I don't know does this belong here, so if this is wrong place, please move it to the correct place.)

But yeah, I need advices about parallax mapping. I know how to do it and how to use scripts that uses different layers like ground, light, parallax etc. And I consider myself as "average" gimp user, so creating own stuff itself is not a problem. 

SO, The problems is when my maps grows larger than my screen, and I can't take 1:1 screenshots in editor. Because I use that editor picture as a base, where I add new layers, like trees, darker sand, grass or whatever and fine tune it a little bit. It's easy to create layers to 1:1 scale. But it doesn't work if I can't take the screenshot from 1:1 scale.

(I was thinking actually some kind of program, which could take wider 1:1 screenshot than screen, but I'm little sceptic if programs like that even exist :D)

And I know how to do exactly right size layers (32 x map's width and height), but there's no way I'm gonna do parallax mapping for "blinded", because I don't have the editor picture, it's just too impractical.

I'm not sure if anyone can understand my confusing explanation, but any hints, tips, advices or anything, for creating parallax for big maps are welcome.

You're right very confusing post. What I got from it is, you are currently taking screenshots of your editor to use in photoshop but now your maps are so large you cant take a proper screenshot? If this is so, you will need a script to take a picture of the map from in game by pressing a key on the keyboard. Like this one Map Screenshot.

Edited by Brank

Hi Brank. You got it.

But oh yes! That's exactly what I need! Tsukihime saves my day once again :D And you Brank of course. I'll definitely take a better look when I'm back to RPG Maker tomorrow~~ I'll inform if I have problems with it or if I don't need any other help with this :)

Edited by Glyxis

Hey Glyxis, I think my parallax mapping guide might be able to help you out if you get stuck anywhere, just wanted to drop this by you in case you run into any issues using Tsukihime's Map Screenshot as recommended by Brank.

That all said, the script is extremely useful when building any size of a map. I prefer to only create the ground and walls in the editor then take a full mapshot using the script so I can edit things to my liking. You might have to mess with a few options in the script to get things exactly how you need them but it's really not too difficult. Just remember that screenshot will only capture what's visible in your window and mapshot will capture the entire map, you'll manage fine.

If you intend on making big maps then my best recommendation would be to plan everything out as you would imagine it to look first. I've made maps where I've accidentally made too big of a space or too small of one which makes things end up looking really strange and have needed to make major corrections, so careful planning is pretty key.

It's also important that you keep your layers organized and then flattened for use in the game. You don't want to have fifty layers all at once when you could simply have a few, it's just a lot easier to manage which I think goes without saying if you've been experimenting with parallax mapping.

Edited by CVincent

Hi CVincent. Thanks for the answer and your super useful parallax guide! I'm pretty sure that I'll use it to get my working more efficient. Especially with gimp. Sometimes working with those layers give me headache.

And I also use Yami's overlay script so perfect guide to me anyway (although I know quite well how to use it)

And yeah, the Mapshot script is very easy to work with, so no problem there.

I will ask some help (if needed) in your topic in future ^^ So I think this can be closed then~ Thanks Brank and CVincent.