Sign in to follow this  
Lazzamore

Attainability or making your Dream Game?

Let's preface this: I have never successfully finished a project. I always get bored and move on to other things, or I decide it's simply to difficult for a solo developer at my level.

That said, I really care about my solo project. But I have a good idea for a much simpler game. I'm still torn between the two; Should I stick to my solo project to the end, or put it off like all the others or something more attainable as a solo?

My current solo project is an open-world Rogue-like in space. You will get to buy spaceships, explore alien worlds that are randomly generated, find caves and dungeons that are also randomly generated, fight pirates, and explore multiple branching story-lines. I could do this, or I could do my much more attainable second idea: A story-line driven game that pits you in a race against the villain. It's simpler to explain, at least.

I was stuck in a similar situation a while back, but I came to the conclusion that i'll stick with my current project to the end, I've dropped so many projects because I've had ideas for other ones, and i wasn't going to allow that to continue.(not to mention I already told everyone I was going to finish that game...) Anyway, my advice is to stick through your current game to the end, and then tackle a second project.

Edited by Ghost King

I think if it's basically all in your head, do as you like.  But if you've been talking it up on the forum for a year, getting people invested, having people give feedback to your maps and mechanics and storyline and such, and then drop the game and announce you're doing a different one, you stand to alienate people who were your supporters.  (Not saying that's you at all, Lazzamore, just in general.)  If it keeps happening, people will think, "Why bother to pay attention to this person's game-in-progress?"

Hm, thank you, guys! I don't know, I haven't put my game on the forums yet, none of my projects seem to get that far.

I will certainly think about what you guys said, though.

I'd say it depends on your ambition. If game development is the ultimate goal then getting something out there is to be prefered, since if you never complete a project then you will never learn the full scope of your own capabilitys, what you can and is able to do in a reasonable time frame. However if the goal is only selfsatisfaction then take your time and make the game as you like it to be, so that you can comfortably say it will be "perfect" (according to you anyways) upon completion. You will get alot more out of a game if it is something to be shared, since it will invite more than your own way of seeing things (criticism) and might open your eyes to possibilitys that you would never have considered otherwise (this is if self improvement is what you are going for).

All my suggestions is based on the premise that your previous statement is true. (if others have invested their time in your project then you risk alienating them as they might see it as time wasted)

The bottom line being that it all depends on what you want to get out of it.

I hope this random rambling makes any sort of sense and is helpfull in any sort of way. (because I must confess I'm abit drunk atm)