regendo

GameOver with choices

Hello world, we meet again.

I was wondering what to do next when I randomly found that there is a single way to exit Scene_Gameover : by going to the Title scene.

So I made my way through all those Window scripts until I finally knew what exactly to do.

This script makes a Window pop up when you enter Scene_Gameover, which contains three choices:

Load a savefile, Return to Title or Shut the game down because you simply want to ragequit.

You can access the unchanged Scene_Gameover by using start_old method instead of simply calling Scene_Gameover.

There are a lot of customisation options in the module:

- change the window position

- change the "Retry Battle" and "Load Safefile" strings

- change the window width width is not used if you choose to use the option below

- use multiple columns in the window requires "Multiple Columns in Selectables" (MCIS) script found here

- allow loading a safe-file

- allow retrying the battle

- allow regaining used/lost items, armours, weapons when retrying battle

- set a chance of losing gold, and the amount lost, when retrying battle

- set a chance of losing random items, armour parts, or weapons when retrying battles does not apply to key items and equipped armour parts or weapons

- set a maximum amount of items/armour parts/weapons lost per retry

Compability:

This script should be compatible with all scripts that do not modify Scene_Gameover or BattleManager#process_defeat.

This script has built-in compability with my MCIS script.

Known Bugs:

- none

How To Acquire:

You can always view the most recent version of the script in my github repository. - code

You can download the latest release from the release section. (.rb, .zip, .tar.gz) - direct download for .rb

The latest release isn't necessarily the most up-to-date version of the script. New releases will be added for important changes in the script.

post-1541-0-63077300-1324144734_thumb.png

Looks pretty cool. I never even thought about looking for something like this before, but now that I see it, I really want to use it...

I like that we can add more commands (it sounds like without knowing much about scripts)...gives me some weird ideas...hmm...

But...one command that would be useful is "Start Battle Over" or something like that. But I think that might be harder. You know, some games let you try a battle over again, sometimes for a cost (like a rare item that also lets you save anywhere or something) But I think that's like, a different script.

Thank you all for the feedback :)

But...one command that would be useful is "Start Battle Over" or something like that. But I think that might be harder. You know, some games let you try a battle over again, sometimes for a cost (like a rare item that also lets you save anywhere or something) But I think that's like, a different script.

I'm currently not too much into the whole battle stuff (it just looks really complicated) but if I find a way to do so, I'll add it. Also, of course, so that it's only displayed if you GameOver'd in a battle (and not like from the event command).

€: Alright, I figured out how to display a "Retry Battle" command only if you lost the battle (and if you are not allowed to loose the battle). What's left now is to figure out how exactly to repstart the battle...

Edited by regendo

Sorry for the double post, but I don't think editing informs people that there is new content (does it?).

So I've finally figured out how to do the "Retry Battle" thing.

It requires some changes at BattleManager, some new methods and complicated stuff I've never seen before.

In short, I've looked stuff up in the script editor, on google, on ruby-doc.org and on rpg-studio.de/scientia, in order to finally get the thing done.

New version is edited into the first post.

If you find anything you don't like, please tell me. However, please don't expect it to be done until tomorrow, I'm beat now.

Update:

Increased compability with other scripts (built in compability with the latest version of my "Multiple Columns in Command Windows" script).

Increased customization

Links updated in start post.

Edited by regendo

I would love to have a battle retry for my game, so thanks a lot for this!

Just imagine that spotlight raining down on the main character...continue?

Edit: If I retry the battle, the gameover ME still plays, and once it's over the music is completely gone from battle. Is there a way to fix this? o.o

Edited by Radscythe

[uPDATE]

• fixed a bug where music wasn't replaced upon retrying the battle (thanks to Radscythe for reporting)
  • fixed an error when Horizontal_Window script wasn't installed (thanks to Radscythe and gazza-911 for reporting)

Edited by regendo

I have a problem with this, my game over screen does not feel the entire screen.

Edit: disregard this, it seems to be a result of another script

Edited by whitedahlia

This seems really interesting but there is one thing I.d like to ask, would it be possible to build in a system like gameovrs in Kingdom Hearts 2 where by chance you can get a "I'm not done yet!" command, where Mickey will come in and you get to play as him, storing up energy with each hit until you can revive the party?

Nice script, really good :)

This seems really interesting but there is one thing I.d like to ask, would it be possible to build in a system like gameovrs in Kingdom Hearts 2 where by chance you can get a "I'm not done yet!" command, where Mickey will come in and you get to play as him, storing up energy with each hit until you can revive the party?

I like this.

I'd love to see this!

If you dont know what he means, regendo, I'll help clarify, and i can even help event this thing if needed.

Just the command would be needed :)

I'm currently busy with two other scripts, but I'll look into that.

Unfortunately though, I never played any Kingdom Hearts game, so further information would be appreciated.

If I manage to implement it (no guarantee there), it'll probably just be a custom version for you in which this option replaces the current "Retry Battle".

When you failed, you get to Game Over and there's a "I'm not done yet!" option that returns to the battle and adds another actor to your party (whom, I assume, you cannot invite in your party otherwise)?

Then, this actor has a skill that revives the entire party (probably with about full health?) and removes himself from the party?

I assume this actor can actually die; in which case Game Over is called once again, without the command, and the actor is removed from your party.

Thanks.

It's not needed for me, but it'd be really fun.

So basically, when your party dies, in certain battles (boss battles)

there's that new command window, and then when you choose to retry with "I'm not Done yet!"

Your party is replaced by another character, who his stronger.

He/she fights like a normal character would, with MP and normal attacks but

This character should have skills that raise a gauge (TP) to 100, and when TP is 100,

he/she can use a skill that brings them out of the party and completely revives the old party.

The actor can easily be done through database, the only thing really needed by you is the second option window

and the changing party to the new actor.

And yes, that actor cannot be obtained normally

Well, in the game, that character is actually incapable of killing the enemy.

I'm not sure how you could get around that in VXA =/

Well, just for ease of scripting, yeah, you could just do that.

Hmmm. One problem I found was that if in Ace you chose the continue if you lose option the script ignores it and opens the game over screen anyway. I'm trying to make a colleseum so losing without going to the game over screen is needed

(Sorry for the unneeded info, I suck at explaining stuff.)

It shouldn't do that. That's weird because I thought I checked that... anyways, I'll look into it.

(Also, @ the kingdom hearts-esque addon, I didn't get to do it yet, but I'm positive about being able to implement this!)

My game has a score system, so I'm wondering if you can make this add-on: Can the retry battle option affect a variable?

(In my game's case, you lose score points whenever you retry a lost battle)