Maybe you should try a month-long kind o' thing next time Jackus. Then, at least, I think everyone would have time to get something ready. Could even become competition for the IGMC :3

I think I'll be able to finish on time. Ill have to stay up pretty late and do basically nothing else but I think I have a decent chance at completing on time. I hadn't planned for the game to be that long anyways; I was mostly focusing on giving it fully custom assets.

Edited by Tuckie

But this was always meant to be a test of what can be done in a single week. I'm not expecting the next Final Fantasy. I want something which has raw dedication poured into it.

Some of the entries for the first IIAW impressed me. A lot. Those were a serious display of talent.

After this is over, i'm going back to the drawing board with IIAW, I need something new, something exciting.

If you have any ideas, lemme know in this topic or a PM.

I feel like this time was a little rough because of the timing. It IS the Holidays after all (all of em! ChrismaHanukKwanzaYuleSaturnaliaBoxingPepperPot Day). 1 week is a tight schedule, but I KNOW it can be done, because I have made multiple games in a week. A month is nicer, but...I don't know. A week is like 'how much crazy can you pack in'?

Well, you've heard it several times in this thread, ~'this competition is about making any game, not a good game', but y'know most people want to excel and a lot probably wouldn't be particularly happy associating themselves with something they don't feel is actually a good representation of themselves or their abilities. Sure, some are okay with that but not everybody.

Another thing that repeatedly came up was ~'something came up' or, in the case of us older folk, we just ~'have too much going on already'. A longer timeframe would make RL less problematic. Or perhaps you could attempt to apply a timeframe in a different way that's not directly tied to RL time; ie. a max of one hundred hours in the editor or half an hour in-game time.

But yeah, if you want feedback about the competition its already in the thread. Find the reasons people quit and then attempt to adjust for those people; after all, these are the people who are already interested in participating. You don't need to make it more interesting for them; they are already interested.

Another thing that repeatedly came up was ~'something came up' or, in the case of us older folk, we just ~'have too much going on already'. A longer timeframe would make RL less problematic. Or perhaps you could attempt to apply a timeframe in a different way that's not directly tied to RL time; ie. a max of one hundred hours in the editor or half an hour in-game time.

The only problem with that is you cant judge how long someone has spent in the editior.

Well, it's hard to make something, that will be good for all.

For example - I wouldn't even participate in the 'Indie in 2 weeks' or 'Indie in a month', because this is so much time and I have better things to do (working on my main game for example) than wasting a month on a silly game for a contest. I shouldn't even participate this one, but silly game for fun in a week isn't that bad.

And... even if I'd have tons of free time (no projects awaiting & infinite free time cheat in RL), then I'm not sure if I'd participate either. If I'd have to work on a project, then it has to be either 'Silly quick project' or 'Serious project'. Something in between is not for me.

Also, making and seeing tons of 'serious' games would be boring ~ this contest is to make something silly, which is fun to play. When there would be a month, then I'm sure 90% of the projects would have cliche stories and nearly the same gameplay. Having only a week forces you to put only the most important features + make something quickly, which will result in a unique story/gameplay.

Also, imagine tons of serious games made in a month - the judges would have to spent tons of their time to play them all. Games in a week are short, silly and fun and that's the purpose of this contest.

I'm always curious with others' ideas ~ and make something in a week is really challenging.

I know RL always breaks everything, but if there would be even a month, then people could for example spent 50% of the contest time on vacation/holidays etc. etc., so the problem wouldn't be avoided completely.

Now want to see something silly?

This is the (not very clever) main gameplay + tons of silly graphics! =3

7wXqlM5.png

Also, the most amazing thing!!! - I wrote the simplest battle engine ever seen + also tons of silly graphics, that will kill everybody!

EPIC FIRST BOSS BATTLE!

1SJs9O4.png

Now want to see something silly?

This is the (not very clever) main gameplay + tons of silly graphics! =3

7wXqlM5.png

Also, the most amazing thing!!! - I wrote the simplest battle engine ever seen + also tons of silly graphics, that will kill everybody!

EPIC FIRST BOSS BATTLE!

1SJs9O4.png

That's very silly, indeed. It really reminds me of SkiFree back from super old Windows xD

Edited by Tuckie

I already made my review on Jaxinator's game, but, of course, it'll only be revealed when the contest ends.

If anyone else has already decided to release their entry, please let me know.

Aaaaaahhh i've got that desire to make something...

But what? I can't enter my own contest.

Hmmmmmm....

Glory Quest 3!

---

At this point I think Riki is going to win by gameplay. XD

However if Tuckie finishes, I think we all might be curbstomped. :D

...Or maybe if someone else that hasn't quit suddenly pops up with a surprise? Dunno who else is left...

As for me, my Procrastination II will just be a pile of crap in last place. :P

Perhaps you should use a random word generator as a theme for next time Jackus. It's sad that you can't enter your own competition.

On second thought, this makes a weird theme possible. On third thought (?), this would make things fun (maybe). Just think of what a theme like "Mayonnaise" would produce!!

*shudder*

Edited by magic2345

I'm basically adding in my final boss, then I'll be done! I'll put up the game in around an hour and a half. I really want to sleep, but at this point stopping would mean I would have wasted my entire last week.

EDIT: By the way, if I didn't make it clear my game isn't actually about Arbor Day (as hilarious as it would be). It's an entirely different game.

Edited by Tuckie

Official Entry* - Personification - The Holiday Rift

*Unless there is something wrong and I can fix it in the nick of time!

Re-Uploading - Made the game smaller and fixed a couple things.

You may have to right click and save as.

Enjoy! :D

Edited by JacobM

Alright, I'm done! Way later than I expected but here it is!

Wednesday's Knights

(Figuring out the name is the game's first puzzle!)

RTP DOWNLOAD | NON-RTP DOWNLOAD

Wednesday's Knights is a JRPG about a group of friends who get together to play a tabletop RPG. The game is character-driven, comedy-oriented, and styled after Earthbound. Try to roll a natural 20!

Story

It's pretty much as the description reads. There are a few friends. They play a tabletop RPG. Your job is to sit back and enjoy the players' interactions with each other as you control their characters in game. They are all there to have fun, so you should be, too!

Features

- Fully custom graphics

- Fully custom soundtrack (13 tracks!)

- Dice-based combat system

- Aesthetic

- A (singular) dungeon

- Probably some typos

- "Authentic",  "Middle-schooler-drawn" battle backgrounds

- Jokes

- One or two good jokes

- A gaming experience

- The same dice-rolling sound effect a million times

- Original? writing

- Some stuff I missed

Screen Pictures

1PB1w6y.png

9ENWoUK.png

r6PVUX2.png

Notes

Read these before playing! Spoiler free?

- I apologize in advance for the fact that I only used one dice SFX in a game that rolls dice every half a second. It'll probably be annoying.

- None of the roleplayers depicted in the game have names or genders. You don't get to find that out and it is intentional.

- This game is pretty on-rails for most of the plot. It takes a while to actually get to "play".

- The RPG system this game's world was based off of is real. It is an unreleased, WIP game I and some others are creating. I thought it would do well for the setting.

- Someone remind me the next time I do one of these contests NOT to make a story-based game.

Adherence to the theme

I'm gonna be honest. This game isn't really about any particular holiday. The game only really mentions the idea of the holiday season about 3 times. It isn't even integral to the plot. The best way that "Holiday" is integrated into the theme is simply by the inspiration for the project itself. The first time that I played dungeons and dragons was during the winter break as a sixth grader, with my stepfather. This game also takes place during winter break for the roleplayers. I wanted to create a world and game that felt like having to learn a whole new way of life, which is essentially what happened to me when I was introduced to DnD. I want the Avex, Jel and Bravo to be as foreign to RPG veterans as Elves, monks and Orcs were to 6th grade me. Hopefully I've accomplished that.

As a side note, the DM describes the setting of the "campaign" as an "island in the sun". This is a reference to the Wheezer song of the same name, the lyrics of which begins with "when you're on a holiday". That was intentional.

Scripts Used

These wonderful people have scripts used by my game:

Yanfly
Hime
Daimonioustails
Mithran
Zerbu
NeonBlack
Gallade
Wavelength

I can't thank them enough.

Have fun! I can't wait to play all of your entries!

Edited by Tuckie

Well, here's my entry!

My Awkward Adventure in a Distant Land

Summary:

It's supposed to be a more lighthearted take on surreal adventure RPGs, with more "traditional" adventuring elements and not so "emo" storyline unlike my previous Indie in a Week entry. However, since I don't have much time, I can only offer you guys the husks! XD

The story is about a girl named Sora who got stuck in a different world than ours after a car crash during her school trip. How and why she dunno, so she set out to find the truth-- with a newfound power, no less! (More info about the characters can be found in the blog post below)

Download (No RTP because I'm thin on quota :<):

Contents:
*Game files and folders
*Credits file, with a small trivia about the characters

Blog post:

Note: The trivia section may contain some spoilers regarding my previous Indie in a Week entry

P.S. Link FIXED~

Enjoy~
Edited by Maki13

Well, here's my entry!

My Awkward Adventure in a Distant Land

Summary:

It's supposed to be a more lighthearted take on surreal adventure RPGs, with more "traditional" adventuring elements and not so "emo" storyline unlike my previous Indie in a Week entry. However, since I don't have much time, I can only offer you guys the husks! XD

The story is about a girl named Sora who got stuck in a different world than ours after a car crash during her school trip. How and why she dunno, so she set out to find the truth-- with a newfound power, no less! (More info about the characters can be found in the blog post below)

Download (No RTP because I'm thin on quota :<):

Contents:
*Game files and folders
*Credits file, with a small trivia about the characters

Blog post:

Note: The trivia section may contain some spoilers regarding my previous Indie in a Week entry

Enjoy~

When i download it asks for a decryt key

Oh no, 4 hours left... Will I make it?

EDIT: Or maybe I can upload a version of Procrastination II where it just suddenly ends cause I ran outta time.

Edited by Eien Nanashi