Some spoilers broke in the OP.

Also for the forum award icons ~ wouldn't be better to use icons from one set? =P They would look better near each other in forum awards list.

I think these would be the best choice:

1AlzM1o.png 1st place (Golden Joystick)

5Ff0BNc.png 2nd place (Silver Joystick)

4NjNsSy.png 3rd place (Poopy Bronze Joystick)

Because the third one is kind of out of place at the moment. =3

Game Guru DLC, huh? I have GG... I am getting antsy, ready to make games! We can't start until the date on the blue bar, huh? Well, I guess I will have to get back to my other projects while I wait for this. Maybe I should work on my christmas game.

Edited by philteredkhaos

I'd like to tentatively sign up, although I doubt I'd be able to finish it in time.

Good call with the calender. Be nice to see a few more things on there, like regular events or dedicated streams or some such.

Hahaha, I'm actually working a lot next week (and every week until after Christmas).

I still really want to participate - but just a heads up incase i can't make a complete game.

On a side note;

Jaaackus, I'm impatient! I wanna start xD

This seems pretty interesting, so I'd like to sign up. Just for clarification, what are the stipulations as to using assets like graphics or music that were made before the start of the event, or using assets made by other people (with permission), since this is not a team event?

Personally, what would be totally fair, would be not using anything, just only RTP stuff and default scripts + stuff you made during Game Making Period.

I know people will use tons of resources and scripts, so to be honest I could start working on my minigame (since it would be only a script) or something like this and then just fill it with the theme, resources and done! That would be fair, since it would be just a script, where others would use tons of other scripts.

Also, I could start doing graphics like trees and stuff - I don't know the theme, so the resources could be considered just as 'resources available' so it also shouldn't be against any rules.

So... I'm curious too.

That is more complicated, than it seems.

If that minigame is going to be a major feature of your game then, no, that doesn't strike me as particularly fair at all. Didn't your mama ever teach you two wrongs don't make a right? :3

Perhaps the best way to deal with this would be some sort of limit for non-rtp resources, ie. either x of each category (music, graphics, scripts, etc.) or x in total. That way, at least, it would become about managing and using resources effectively, rather than simply hoarding all this stuff beforehand and it wouldn't be as necessary to attempt to track what resources were made during the game making period.

Edited by Tarq

Aaaah I've been away for ages and I don't know who's signed up recently.

Gimme a while to sort this out..

Also, I might not be able to announce things at the time it starts. (Like the theme and stuff). It will still start then, but the theme announcement and me saying it's started will be delayed by 2-3 Hours. Feel free to make your game in that time.

but... how can we make our game without knowing the theme!?

Story and any possible mapping and custom stuff replies on this detail xD

I dont mind the little delay - you can always change the End time by how many hours the start was delayed?

but... how can we make our game without knowing the theme!?

Story and any possible mapping and custom stuff replies on this detail xD

I dont mind the little delay - you can always change the End time by how many hours the start was delayed?

Yeah sorry about the delay. Without disclosing details, the theme is.. fairly flexible anyway.

I'll extend the end time by the amount I end up delaying it by (Depends on various RL factors)

But anything you make in that time will not be disqualified.

If that minigame is going to be a major feature of your game then, no, that doesn't strike me as particularly fair at all. Didn't your mama ever teach you two wrongs don't make a right? :3

Perhaps the best way to deal with this would be some sort of limit for non-rtp resources, ie. either x of each category (music, graphics, scripts, etc.) or x in total. That way, at least, it would become about managing and using resources effectively, rather than simply hoarding all this stuff beforehand and it wouldn't be as necessary to attempt to track what resources were made during the game making period.

I know it would be not right, but it also works the other way around. I bet some people have already prepared & configured necessary scripts and/or resources to handle the main gameplay and they'll be just putting a theme and story to it. Since the 'configuration of a script' is a standalone process, that can be even done in a different project, so technically it was not done for the contest 'before the contest', but just a slightly improved script (as an available resource).

As for me everything should be done from scratch - it's a game in a week ~ not 'throw bunch of stuff in a game in a week'. This contest should show the developers' skills, not how good they know resource sites and stuff. I know not everyone is good at this, I'm not any better by myself, but it would be great to see the effort and originality in games, even if that would mean using only RTP.

Let's not forget that the game's look and gameplay is also judged (it is stated in categories in main post), so it should not include premade scripts and resources by others.

I don't have anything against that, but it should be noted, that the 'gameplay' / 'game's look' were not created by the creator. 

As for me everything should be created by you in the Game Making Period. (some exceptions ~ limit sounds nice, where each script should be included and named in credits)

Well, anyway I'll be not cheating and I'll wait for the right time. I'll perhaps just write a silly minigame with even sillier graphics made in few hours and try to fit the theme.

It's really not important for me who will win, since it's just for fun and people can do what they want, but I'm just wondering, that's all.

When I came looking for a contest, I was hoping to find MV RTP only but as far as any engine Id be down if it was RTP only and possibly only sprites created for said contest no external sources as goes for scripts, I'm happy with however this contest turns out I'm just glad to be a part of it.

Personally I'd like it being simple - able to use any publicly accessed resources, since anyone can access them.

I think that makes sense; technically, the time spent browsing the net for resources would take away from development time for other aspects, essentially balancing it out.

It would be pretty obvious to state that doing anything inside the editor for the project would be illegal, but that doesn't necessarily include things like sprites, scripts, or music. Those three are kind of a grey area. It is totally possible to work on those things without actually "working" on the project files themselves. The main reason I asked about this was because I was preplanning for it and had some old unused sprites I made that I thought would fit for the project. I could right now start making tiles for my game, and not have opened up RPGMaker at all, so does that make it legal? And technically, it might not matter at all because once the "theme" is announced, all that I did could be void anyways.

This discussion probably isn't going to get any results in terms of an actual answer, though; we kind of have to wait for a more "official" response from the organizer.

Personally I'd like it being simple - able to use any publicly accessed resources, since anyone can access them.

I think that makes sense; technically, the time spent browsing the net for resources would take away from development time for other aspects, essentially balancing it out.

It would be pretty obvious to state that doing anything inside the editor for the project would be illegal, but that doesn't necessarily include things like sprites, scripts, or music. Those three are kind of a grey area. It is totally possible to work on those things without actually "working" on the project files themselves. The main reason I asked about this was because I was preplanning for it and had some old unused sprites I made that I thought would fit for the project. I could right now start making tiles for my game, and not have opened up RPGMaker at all, so does that make it legal? And technically, it might not matter at all because once the "theme" is announced, all that I did could be void anyways.

This discussion probably isn't going to get any results in terms of an actual answer, though; we kind of have to wait for a more "official" response from the organizer.

You've lost me how did messing with the editor itself come into play?

You've lost me how did messing with the editor itself come into play?

It doesn't, really. I just brought it up to illustrate that there is a difference between opening and working on the game vs. creating art/music assets.