JRolik

Harvest Moon and Rune Factory

Since Rune Factory is, as the name often denotes, a 'fantasy Harvest Moon', I figured I'd make a thread for both in one since none was made yet, and surprisingly to me, I'm pretty sure both are considered mainstream- since half the people I know play/know them.

So...Anyone else play any of the games? Any favorites, least favorites, etc? I've started playing Rune Factory 4 this week. So far the controls irk me at times, but I like how I can choose where my forge sits and such, and I find the characters as lively as ever. It was fun getting to play as a girl from the start for a change, too. The item name changes and recipe changes are still annoying...But at the same time, calling it flan instead of pudding is pretty neat.

Also, the return of callbacks is always nice. Barrett's new hairdo [i don't think this counts as a spoiler too much?] is adorable~ :D And Raven totally makes sense coming to hang out in town too. They both talk about their hometowns a lot...So I'm waiting for an original Kardia character to come hang out and say hi too. It'd be really interesting if I find that happening.

Sorry. Never played either.

Going off the titles it sounds like Harvest Moon is about trying to farm on the moon and Rune Factory involves some sort of rune factory.  :P

Seeing as Rune Factory made Jackus's mind explode, I wanna play it now. By play, I mean force Jackus to play it while I watch and laugh manically  :ph34r:

Sorry. Never played either.

Going off the titles it sounds like Harvest Moon is about trying to farm on the moon and Rune Factory involves some sort of rune factory.  :P

Seeing as Rune Factory made Jackus's mind explode, I wanna play it now. By play, I mean force Jackus to play it while I watch and laugh manically  :ph34r:

Harvest Moon is a generic farm sim with elements of a dating sim.. kinda.

Rune Factory throws in RPG elements which is enough to blow up my mind with all those things.

I've played both.

I played RF4 for a bit, and got carried away with grinding more than the story.

I feel the game has alot - skill wise - but it lacked explorable dungeons.

I loved the characters - but after a while the actual maps and lack of exploration made me sad.

On a side note: I loved my invisible sword! <3

HM, I've played alot of them. My first ever try was the "Wonder Life" for gamecube. Loved it.

I'm currently playing "A New Beginning" - but once you get so far into the objecttives, it becomes so tedious...

Plus, I upgraded all my animals to "great" produce - turns out you can't actually use that in alot oc=f stuff.

"Oh, you want this outfit? That'll be 5 wool and 3 flax. What, you only have 5 GREAT wool? Nah, not good enough".

I like the series though :)

I'm quite familiar with Harvest Moon. Hard not to know about it seeing as how many people love it and love talking about it. 

Rune Factory is completely alien to me. It's essentially a more complex version of Harvest Moon? Interesting...

HM, I've played alot of them. My first ever try was the "Wonder Life" for gamecube. Loved it.

I'm currently playing "A New Beginning" - but once you get so far into the objecttives, it becomes so tedious...

Plus, I upgraded all my animals to "great" produce - turns out you can't actually use that in alot oc=f stuff.

"Oh, you want this outfit? That'll be 5 wool and 3 flax. What, you only have 5 GREAT wool? Nah, not good enough".

Yeah, that is a shame. Keep some normal animals around for these requests. They annoy me.

I like A New Beginning, first real Harvest Moon game I played, I did play Harvest Moon DS a while ago, but I used ANB to get back into the series.

Plus, in that game i'm married <3 (To Tina btw) It's a nice game, I may play it some more at some point.

Yea, I unlocked the tailer later in the game so I had already spammed the affection out of my animals.

I don't even have the brown alpaca yet so my alpaca's are sitting preggers unti lI unlock the brown alpaca.

Why do i want a brown alpaca? because apparently my "Speedy Brush" needs BROWN alpaca fur. White alpaca fur's not good enough apparently ;-;

I like the game - it just has it's "urk" moments.

Plus, mining... that dang mine. 

I think I'm gonna go with Rod on my game, but I have Rod, Allen and Neil basically fighting for me.

Allen is such as butthole. He essentialy talks to you like "Hahaha, your my property". Wow, your ugly anyway.

I like the game - it just has it's "urk" moments.

That basically sums up my impression of the game.

Allen is such as butthole.

Agreed.

I think I'm gonna go with Rod on my game, but I have Rod, Allen and Neil basically fighting for me.

Hmmm, I kinda like Neil out of those choices. He's kinda a nice guy, that's why I bumped up his friendship points.

Neil is nice - but he loves animals... he loves animals.

He's the HM character that only talks about animals.

When your romancing him, it get's a little weird.

Plus; "Your egg hatched!" HOW DO YOU KNOW? 

DO YOU SIT IN MY COOP AND JUST STARE AT MY CHICKENS?

WHAT EVEN!?

I like Neil though - he accepts my fodder of love <3

Neil is nice - but he loves animals... he loves animals.

He's the HM character that only talks about animals.

When your romancing him, it get's a little weird.

Plus; "Your egg hatched!" HOW DO YOU KNOW? 

DO YOU SIT IN MY COOP AND JUST STARE AT MY CHICKENS?

WHAT EVEN!?

I like Neil though - he accepts my fodder of love <3

Neil is the easiest to get high friendship points with. I buy fodder off him, and give it back and he's like "OMG I LOVE FODDER THANKS SO MUCH" xD

I've played both.

I played RF4 for a bit, and got carried away with grinding more than the story.

I feel the game has alot - skill wise - but it lacked explorable dungeons.

I loved the characters - but after a while the actual maps and lack of exploration made me sad.

On a side note: I loved my invisible sword! <3

I totally thought that too, honestly- but then today I found out the game didn't end where I thought it did, and that made more dungeons available. Like, seriously Vishnal how did you magically learn to clear those giant trees that I thought were supposed to be a barrier to keep the field from growing!? Well okay I know where he learned it but still! >:o But I mostly like the reintroduction of Barrett and Raven telling us how things have changed since their games ended. Though I'm mad we don't get to meet Barrett's /second/ child in RF2...Oh spoiler the second arc of the game involves battling the Sechs Empire like in the first game. Again, CALLBACKS. EVERYWHERE.

And omg Neil is the most tsundere and awkward guy ever. But on the other hand...In The Lost Valley, you get to /see/ this one guy who just sits in your barn all day it seems like. Then again, there's no 'town' directly around you...