Sign in to follow this  
Guardinthena

Creating Hard Light Bridge Animation

I'm back for another around of head scratching Q&A.  This time around, I'm hoping somebody can point me to, or assist me, in locating and/or creating an event for a hard light bridge.

What I'm attempting to achieve is a bridge made of light for a sci-fi game.  When the bridge is first activated when the player enters the room, I wanted the bridge to manifest and then shoot across the level before solidifying.  I've attempted this a little the other night, with varying success, but ultimately would require a tremendous amount of switches.  I was wondering if anyone has done this before and knows of a way that is much simpler.  (I'm probably over complicating this).  Furthermore, I wanted the bridge, after forming, to do a little shimmer of light for added effect.  Maybe make noise when the player steps on it.

Thank everyone for taking the time to read through this and respond.  It means a lot.

I'm pretty sure there's only the slow old way to do this via event graphics and a lot of hard work. =.=" Assuming you can get some graphics, you'll need....

A character set for the bridge at various stages of shooting across the room. This will be activated as soon as you walk into the room :) You'll just have the event blank at first, and once it's triggered use Move Route to make it "turn" (where each direction is a different frame, making it look like the bridge is elongating.) I would probably use Wait 3 frames between each turn so it's not quite so sudden. 

Then, depending on what you already have in your game, there are a couple options....

ONE! You can make the solid bridge a new event with different stages of "shimmer" and set it on repeat (Move Route). Put it on Below Characters. If your bridge has a railing, you'll have to make that a separate event so the character can't walk over it. If you have Hime's Tile Swap, you can use a blank x event to make the area around the bridge unwalkable. If you have Neonblack's Terrain Tags, you can use the bridge settings. If you're using parallax mapping and/or have MA's Animated Parallax Backgrounds, you can make the Bridge part of the parallax and overlay and use them alternately depending on if the player is at the foot of the bridge or not. :)

Hopefully that made some sense ^^" Good luck!

Something like this? attachicon.gifprojectblurp.zip (tried to do the glimmer as well but it doesn't look very good)

I'm pretty sure there's only the slow old way to do this via event graphics and a lot of hard work. =.=" Assuming you can get some graphics, you'll need....

A character set for the bridge at various stages of shooting across the room. This will be activated as soon as you walk into the room :) You'll just have the event blank at first, and once it's triggered use Move Route to make it "turn" (where each direction is a different frame, making it look like the bridge is elongating.) I would probably use Wait 3 frames between each turn so it's not quite so sudden. 

Then, depending on what you already have in your game, there are a couple options....

ONE! You can make the solid bridge a new event with different stages of "shimmer" and set it on repeat (Move Route). Put it on Below Characters. If your bridge has a railing, you'll have to make that a separate event so the character can't walk over it. If you have Hime's Tile Swap, you can use a blank x event to make the area around the bridge unwalkable. If you have Neonblack's Terrain Tags, you can use the bridge settings. If you're using parallax mapping and/or have MA's Animated Parallax Backgrounds, you can make the Bridge part of the parallax and overlay and use them alternately depending on if the player is at the foot of the bridge or not. :)

Hopefully that made some sense ^^" Good luck!

Quack, I would love to say 'thank you, thank you, thank you!'  This projectblurp is beautifully done!  Exactly what I was looking for!  I will be changing the color to blue, and messing with the graphics a bit, but this is exactly what I needed!  Thank you!

Tsarmina, I want to say thank you too!  You're input is so valuable as well!  It has actually helped me with animation on other pieces through out my game(s)!  (I forgot about the animation change through Move Route, like, I knew it was there in the game system somewhere but forgot where, its been awhile for me).  Also, in answer to your questions, my bridge does not have a rail, I don't have Hime's Tile Swap or Neonblack's Terrain Tags but I do do parallax mapping.  And it does make sense (for the parallax mapping) but I am going to have to check out Hime and Neonblack's stuff.  It sounds interesting.

Again, thank you both so much!  I think that this about wraps this up!