Ragnos

Looking for a Godlike Name?

In my story we have a demon which almost wiped out humanity. So he was given the name "Ragnarok" (I thought it would be a fitting name, because of the meaning behind it.) But some people I've talked to says it's a bit too cliche and to many games use it. So we have decided to try and come up with an original name, but thinking of a god name as Grand as like "Barthandelus" is really hard. 

Could any of you give some name suggestions?

For things like this, I use the interweb.

I Googled names that mean "divine".

These are the first three results.

http://www.20000-names.com/celestial_names_planet_names_heavenly_names.htm

http://www.babynamespedia.com/search/m/divine

http://www.babynamewizard.com/archives/2014/11/20-divine-names-for-girls-heaven-nevaeh-and-baby-names-from-the-beyond

Edited by lonequeso

Well, you're trying to imply a level of... vastness. You want sounds that stress that. To that end, I would say that "O" sounds are a must. In both Greek AND Japanese, for example, the application of an "O" at the front of a word denotes "Greatness", if that gives you any ideas.

Next up, you're going to want hard, harsh sounds. G, Z, B, K, T. You want as little ambiguity as possible. This demon god, he's abrupt and to the point.

So, I don't know. Something like Oroganos. Barlok. Bal Karag.

Since it sounds like he's both a god and a demon, I'd say seek words/names that are related to both somehow [Divine/Holy for god, vs Demonic/Evil/Dark for well..demon]. There are many ways to make your own names, after all. I looked up Norwegian words for some of my names and just altered them slightly to fit the characters in some cases. For two goddesses I have, I looked up their base [ie time and dark in their case] and used Japanese words [so Toki and Kuro] and then just added something I felt like adding, which ended up Kia...So they were Tokikia and Kurokia.

It's best to use a method that works for you in general and not just the story. Make sure that if most names are a specific language base, you try to generally keep them that way unless it's a very mixed setting.

I can't believe no one suggested Jesus yet. Poor guy. His birthday is coming up soon too.  :P

Nihil reminds me of Nihilanth from Half-Life.

Let's see what the Google says:

Absalom

Devanchandra

Diocles

Yizreel

Those are a few that I liked.

I can't believe no one suggested Jesus yet. Poor guy. His birthday is coming up soon too.  :P

You really believe that? Scholars agree that Jesus wasn't actually born anywhere near December. The only reason we celebrate Christmas this month is that it's actually a holiday stolen from pagans, like so many other Christian holidays. :P

Anyway,, how about Yaldabaoth/Saklas/Samael?

Edited by KilloZapit

If it helps (now that I'm awake and not lazy), how about the some Hebrew names? Now with literal translations by yours truly because I speak it!

Hashem - The Name

Adonai - My Lord

Elohim/Elokim - God (some believe you must not utter the word Elohim to not say it in vain, so his name pronounced with "kim" instead).

Eloheinu - Our God

If you're wondering how one word in Hebrew is two in English, it's because in Hebrew when you add a pronoun after a noun (yes, AFTER. Hebrew is a crazy bitch), you combine the two words and add a pronoun suffix at the end of the noun. Hope you like these options.

Edited by TheManlyFairy

You really believe that? Scholars agree that Jesus wasn't actually born anywhere near December. The only reason we celebrate Christmas this month is that it's actually a holiday stolen from pagans, like so many other Christian holidays. :P

Anyway,, how about Yaldabaoth/Saklas/Samael?

Shh..!  He'll tell his dad on you!

(and yes I'm fully aware Christmas is a pagan holiday and that Jesus was probably black.  :))

Ah.. just had a flashback to an episode of the Boondocks: Praise white Jesus!. lmao!

I actually spend a lot of time coming up with these types of names, let me look up my folder on the subject.

Names:

1. Nathaline

2. Hilanthraul

3. Jilvana

4. Venimene

5. Hothrindal

6. Bazereal

7. Makavuuna

8. Fenrila

9. Govinere

10. Palcine

Those are just a few, but there should be at least one usable in there.

Well, he did mention in the opening post that the demon was male, denoted by "he was given the name", amirite?

I...don't have any names to give you. I just use mythological names and figures because of my strong interest in introducing occult elements in my stories, so I never bother making up names for these big figures.

Good luck finding the perfect name, if you haven't found it already.

But he doesn't have to be a he. Why can't the demon be a she? Are you saying women aren't capable of being demons?  :P

I was actually wondering if Mr. Demon would be agender. 

Anyway I did think of a couple. One I've always loved is Bahamut, but Final Fantasy kinda has that one. 

The other is Cervantes. Google couldn't locate a definition of the name. It's as if someone just felt the name sounded cool and decided to make that their last name. So it's not a "god-like" name, but it does have an air of mystery and, most importantly, it sounds cool. 

In my opinion, either 'Horrendous' or 'Derios'.

Well if you imagine it, Horrendous sounds like massive (large) thing, and Derious... D-word in the beginning might sound 'STR type' creatures...

*goes to hiding*

(/O_|wall|