Sign in to follow this  
Biverix

Messing around with the Old School modern tilesets!

I've recently got the old school modern tileset so I've decided to play around with it a bit, maybe even begin a small adventure game! I made a small kind-of-post-apocalyptic mining town map and a couple others.

p1sb6vJ.png

07NQFzT.png

NozWAfS.png

DBo1Edq.png

g5IioNz.png

I've made this silly starting sequence with a talking pig placeholder. Woo! I hope you like these.

Lol. I love that last screen. I'm going to pick option 3  :) You really nailed the retro down in those maps. I like the cliff walls. They remind me of the ones in Link to the Past. For me, that's always a big plus. The interior looks strikingly similar to the interiors in the older Pokemon games. Aside from a couple minor things, it really good work overall.

The minor things: Your treasure chests are too long and look like they're going through walls. Easy fix. The fences color is very close to the ground color. You may want to darken them a little to give them some contrast.

Neither good or bad: There's a frog in the desert. Whuuhh? I'm curious to how that lil guy got there.

I was never a huge fan of these tiles, but you've really pulled it off ^.^ I don't think it looks quite post-apocalyptic, though. Maybe the plants are a bit too green and everything is a tad too bright? Nothing looks too crowded or too sparse. You must be a natural :)

Huh, the treasure chests fit nicely into the designated one tile in-game, but in screenshots and mapshots, they look weird and punch through walls. Probably has to do with screenshots being taken at fullscreen size, and the difference between my monitor's native 16:10 and the original 4:3 screw up something (?) Maybe? I don't know.  :blink: 

Thanks for the tips and the kind words, guys! I'll play around with the colour palette and edit in several versions of the tileset depending on the "biome" of the map (desert, forest, city etc.)

The frog is a pet! It's involved in a little quest! If I end up turning this into a game, you'll see what it's about!  :P