Sign in to follow this  
Purple Phantom

Unnamed Sci-Fi School Game?

I'm not sure where to begin... I got this idea from one of my writing ideas about a scientific corporation that turned certain people into robohuman hybrids for military use. This is different, though... And the rest of it came from this dream I had...

A game about a post-dystopian world where robohumans are despised by most of the population. The remaining robohumans are trying to fit in with society, under the disguise of completely normal humans. You are a robohuman high school student, trying to fit in with the human students without being discovered. Game over upon being discovered by five students, two teachers and the principal. One person knows what you are. This one person is willing to help you. This one person does not count for the score towards game over. Some students don't immediately count towards the five and may try to either help you or hinder you.

Now, I don't have a name for this writing-inspiration dreamed-up game, so help there would be lovely. If you have any suggestions for more robotic actions, let me know! So far, I have this idea that you could end up responding to questions robotically, but I need more than that. I was thinking, if you get into a scuffle with a student or something, that your sleeve could ride up and reveal an arm. Dependent upon the student, this could cause problems... If you have any ideas, let me know! :) I'm always open to suggestion!

Is this supposed to be a game?

What are you supposed to do?

Is it just some sort of visual novel with a loss condition if you take too many wrong choices ?

I'm a bit confused right now

Yeah! It's supposed to be a game. :) Basically, you're supposed to act human, avoid getting discovered as a robohuman and live the life of a normal student. So, basically, life, right? lolz I do have several little plans, such as befriending students, clubs and groups with buffs, students that will go out of their way to, if they find out that you're a robohuman, make the game more difficult, teachers, a principal, classes that give you points and information that you can use and a way for plans to backfire. So far, I don't have many ideas on the "robo" part of "robohuman." Like, the points system is used to get upgrades that bump up your more human side and lower the roboticness, but heck... If there isn't much to begin with... As for visual novel, I wouldn't say I'm quite skilled enough to make one of those, just yet.

Okay, I just went through my document full of what I would like to include in the game as features. I also did a brief summary of what they are and what they have to do with gameplay. :)

Groups and Clubs with advantages/skills (Techies/Journalists can erase evidence without getting caught. If you're only in the Computer Club and Journalism Club (and not the Techies Group and Journalists Groups), you simply get your ability to do that bumped up.)

School and Student Suspicion and Awareness (Suspicion is, well, how much they suspect that not only is there a robohuman, but that somebody (not just the player) is the robohuman. Awareness is how likely the student is to notice robotic actions. Characters such as Jonas will be very likely to notice, while characters like Tobias probably won't notice much.)

Popularity (How popular you are. If you are highly suspected, your popularity goes down.)

Friendship (In the game, you can befriend students and students can befriend each other.)

Gossip (They're teenagers. Of course this will be a factor. If enough students gossip about you, the rest of the student body will begin to suspect you. Of course, you can also gossip about others who always act suspiciously, such as Jonas or Aiko.)

Sneaking around (Yep. You have to sneak past students and teachers, sometimes, if there's evidence that you're a robohuman. Other students, such as Jonas and Desdemona, can sneak around, too.)

Manipulation (Ah, the double-edged sword of doom. They can manipulate you, you can manipulate them, but it almost always backfires on the manipulator.)

Matchmaking (Find a student's crush, get them to meet up and boom! They're distracted from you, for the time being.)

Several teachers (Each with their own unique classes.)

Several classes (Each with their own unique advantage/skill.)

Several students (Each with their own uniqueness.)

One principal (Who's a real jerk... Potential rival?)

A few students who will help you (They're really nice! Hint: Talk to Jeremy or Tobias. They're friendly.)

About nine students who will try to use you if they figure out what you are (Jonas and Desdemona are some of them...)

Robotic actions (but I have close to none)

And those are just the ones I have documented. There will most certainly be more features I want to implement.

Edited by PurplePhantom

Ok you have a good idea of what is possible to do in the game but what would drive the player ? Exploring the systems at play ? Unraveling the story ? ....

I think the story would probably be the driving force. :) As is easy to tell, though, from what little I have, it's still in the early stages of development... I'll have to some up with a little bit (understatement) more of a story than, "Oh, you're blending in with humanity after all of this stuff happened, good luck!" ...But yeah! Story, definitely!

Then it will be easier to find a title once you have your story ( at least the main character plot line)

A few questions to help you think about it :

Why does your character wants to go to high school if it's that risky?

Could he go live somewhere else?

Is the robot aging?

How many other robots does s/he know ?

Edited by Shiggy

Okay! Here is what I have so far! :)

“Back in the days of old, the Earth was met with an apocalypse. Society had been bound so tightly that it shattered into pieces. People were killing each other everywhere. In their homes, on the streets, in designated safe houses... Nowhere was truly safe. In response, scientists and military leaders came up with a plan to end the killing. They were going to combine injured humans with robotics. Not only would the robotics keep the people alive, it would force them into becoming military weapons. Several years, later, society has reformed. After 23 years of nonstop carnage and bloodshed, there is peace. People are united as one...

...At least, the humans are. Robohumans, however, are shunned by society. Robohumans aren't as good as the humans. Robohumans have been stripped of their weapons and put in their own, small areas, separated from humanity. A few have tried to become like the humans... To have jobs, go to school, be part of their communities, but when they were discovered, they were shut down... Dismantled... Overloaded... Had localized EMPs implanted inside them and set off. Those which helped the humans are now nothing more than glorified toaster ovens. I am one of them. I'm going to school. You may be wondering why I am taking this risk. Without education, you cannot get a job, even in the robohuman communities and the robohuman schools do not teach enough to get you a job. I will not age, but I do not think humans gain much height during their last four years of education.â€

How did he escape the robohuman community ? I mean they seem to be controlled in some way

If they look like human ? Why can't he pass for a human to get a job? Is there not uneducated jobs available?

If they don't care about killing robots that try tointegrate into society ,why don't they kill all robots? 

in my opinion if you want to make your game focus on a the story, you have to be convincing on why the situation is happening

If I had to write it , I would go with something like this , robohumans are not killed but they are just heavily discriminated and they are forced into a gettho only for economic reasons ,they can find jobs and such but it's really complicated because very few companies accept to employ robohumans. Only some private schools accept robohumans but most robohumans don't have the money to pay for it.

Some robohuman rights groups are trying to help robohumans to hide as humans to integrate societe and get jobs/education even as robohumans "in the closet" hoping it would help the robohuman cause in the long run.

The main character have been selected by one of this program to integrate high school .

Note that you don't have to drop all of this on the player at the beginning , but to me it seems a better motivation than "I want to get to high school to get a job" .

If this would make a better setting to me , i have no idea what kind of plotline you can build for the main character around that

Edited by Shiggy