4Blackout

Compressed game overwrites my custom music

Hiya! I compressed my game today and noticed that when running the compressed version that my custom music has been overwritten by the default music.

When I first built my game, I used the default music but gradually changed it by importing my own music. I renamed my songs to the same name as the songs that I had already used (i.e. "Dungeon5", "Battle2" etc) so that I wouldn't have to change every instance of BGM in the whole game.

The problem is, the compressed version overwrites the custom music with the original version of "Dungeon5" for example. I have to include RTP data since I do still use some default graphics. How can I fix this? Any help is appreciated. :)

The thing that come up to my mind is when you include RTP data, they copied the RTP to your game folder and replace your music. It's not about how to fix this, but how to work around it. Because I believe you can't change the way how include RTP works

Alternative solutions :

1. Manually import your RTP to your folder. And set RTP to empty in Game.ini in your game folder
  2. Change the music name, and change all the reference in event, system, map, etc to your new music name (And next time, don't name your music that match with RTP music)

The thing that come up to my mind is when you include RTP data, they copied the RTP to your game folder and replace your music. It's not about how to fix this, but how to work around it. Because I believe you can't change the way how include RTP works

That's what came up to my mind as well, but then I thought about 'Iconset' file, for example. Though I was never using the include RTP option in my games, I think it shouldn't replace these files, right?

That's what made me think.

~Perhaps this tool has a different behavior when it comes to music files ~ though at this point ~ I'd consider that as a bug in the compress tool.

But as I said - I was never using that option, so I don't know if the graphic files are replaced as well, but I think they're not.

That's what came up to my mind as well, but then I thought about 'Iconset' file, for example. Though I was never using the include RTP option in my games, I think it shouldn't replace these files, right?

~Perhaps this tool has a different behavior when it comes to music files ~ though at this point ~ I'd consider that as a bug in the compress tool.

But as I said - I was never using that option, so I don't know if the graphic files are replaced as well, but I think they're not.

Iconset, windowskin, and any resource that you don't need to select are different

You can't choose which iconset I'm gonna use. Unlike "which music I'm gonna use"

If you try to import music to your game, and name it like one of the RTP Music, you won't find the RTP music with the same name

For example, try to put a music to BGM folder, name it "Battle1.ogg/mp3/midi (whatever you have the extension)"

Then you wont find the music file with the name Battle1 followed by the blue icon indicating it's an RTP file.

Iconset, windowskin, and any resource that you don't need to select are different

You can't choose which iconset I'm gonna use. Unlike "which music I'm gonna use"

If you try to import music to your game, and name it like one of the RTP Music, you won't find the RTP music with the same name

For example, try to put a music to BGM folder, name it "Battle1.ogg/mp3/midi (whatever you have the extension)"

Then you wont find the music file with the name Battle1 followed by the blue icon indicating it's an RTP file.

I see, but it's still weird for me.

Let's look at this from 'Resource Manager' - for example, an iconset - when we'll put our custom file, then the resource manager will show only that one, marked with red.

Now the same goes with musics - once replaced by a custom one - it only displays that file, also marked with red.

So basically, they work in the same way, except as you said - we can't choose which iconset we'd like to use. (in database-editor ~ still possible to change that via Script Editor if I'm not mistaking)

Like iconset marked with red is not replaced by the default one when compressing - why it does that when it comes to music?

Now I'm going to test stuff out. (but tomorrow, because it's really late in my timezone ^^)

Seems makes sense. Yes, you can try to change by the script. But I assume it only works for some certain filenames. Like the "iconset" itself :P Because even we could change how the game works by script, we still couldn't change the editor.

Anyway, I'm interested on the outcome from your testing lel

Make sure you also try to test in Battler / Character / Tilese / whatever that we could choose

Edited by TheoAllen

Okay, I've did a quick test.

I've setup some things using RTP:

- Main character uses a sprite of Eric (File: Actor4)

- Events around use sprite of Eric (File: Actor4)

- Battle Theme is set to Battle1

>>> Saved and closed RM

I've replaced RTP with custom files:

- I've put my own Actor4 file to the game folder

- I've put my own Battle1 BGM to the game folder

>>> Reopened RM

In the Editor ~ PlayTest

- Erics have been replaced by the custom file automatically

- Battle1 BGM has been replaced by the custom one automatically (there was the custom music playing in the background)

>>> Compressing Game

'-> Include RTP box is ticked

'-> Encryption enabled

>>> Uncompressing compressed game

Testing Game (RESULT)

- Erics are still replaced by the custom sprites - Default 'Actor4' file didn't overwrite my custom 'Actor4' file

- There's custom music playing in the backgorund - Default 'Battle1' file didn't overwrite my custom 'Battle1' file (Plot Twist!)

It seems, that it works for me properly and I cannot recreate the issue as OP has.

I was expecting that result, so that's why it was weird for me.

There was no scripting involved - everything done in the editor in the simplest possible way:

> set the default file in the editor > replace* the default one with a custom one by drag'n'dropping to game folder > export/play or whatever

* replace - there are no default files in the game folder, by replacing I mean adding my custom one and letting it be replaced by the RM. Just to be clear.

Or... Am I overlooking something?

Sorry for not replying for so long. I was holed up in a cabin without internet access.

Anyway, Rikifive, the test you did seems to be quite thorough. It's weird that you weren't able to reproduce the problem. O.o

I didn't encrypt the game when I exported it, so that might be the issue. Such a weird issue though. I'll try it out with encryption and see if it works out! Thanks for helping me, guys! :D

Sorry for not replying for so long. I was holed up in a cabin without internet access.

Anyway, Rikifive, the test you did seems to be quite thorough. It's weird that you weren't able to reproduce the problem. O.o

I didn't encrypt the game when I exported it, so that might be the issue. Such a weird issue though. I'll try it out with encryption and see if it works out! Thanks for helping me, guys! :D

No worries! ^^

Hmm... Now I'm curious... Perhaps that's why? ... But that would be kinda stupid anyway... Well, notify us about the results! (=