ashm

Writing from female perspective.

I don't know If I post this on right sub forum.

"woman's mind are hundred times more complex than man's"

-man in relationship-

That line alone discourage me to write writing female as main character.

Of course what I want ask still in common RPG trope such fantasy setting or more extend romance genre.

As male, what do you think about writing from female perspective ?

Female member also welcomed to reply.

Personally , I do believe that personality-wise a man and a woman are not more different than two men from each other or two women from each other and that the noticeable trend that show me wrong is the result of perceived gender roles.

But in a fantasy qetting,you can do whatever you want with gender roles . So the question is how are men and women supposed to behave (this is not limited to function like work but also social life,hobbies and relationships) in your setting and how do your character acts compared to that. Is s/he in the norm ( spoiler: this is much less interesting) ? is s/he acting in the norm unwillingly ? is s/he behaving against the norm? does s/he try to convince people what s/he is doing is not wrong or does s/he doesn't care?

I hope I provided good food for thought . Good luck .

Edited by Shiggy

I find it's easier to write in female perspective (sometimes even in first person), maybe, because I'm imagining the ideal female in my mind, idk. My female friends never criticize how I wrote it.

At least, you just need to write how female characters should behave that you see from the outside.

Imo, it's similar with man trying to draw female body and vice versa.

As a female I just say write the character as you want her to be, overall the gender of the character doesn't matter if the character is written well. Male and female personalities are basically the same at the end of the day. My question is what type of female lead are you trying to write?

As a female I just say write the character as you want her to be, overall the gender of the character doesn't matter if the character is written well. Male and female personalities are basically the same at the end of the day. My question is what type of female lead are you trying to write?

This exactly. In my opinion, it's better to treat them as a person rather than by their label, and this goes for genders.

As long as you're not trying to do a self-insert, you should be fine.  :)

For me, I write with an equal amount of female characters to male characters. This helps me make sure I keep everything for the setting in line, but you can still mess with how the are, their looks, livelihood, and so on.

I don't think it's that different to write from either side XD I enjoy writing both from female and male perspectives. When I read back over my writing, it doesn't seem to have been heavily affected just because they're one gender or another. c:

As a male myself, I've never understood why so many male writers claim to have trouble writing women.  Women are human beings.  They have the same basic wants, needs and emotions as men.  If you can get inside the heads of dragons, robots, demons and other creatures whose though processes are (or should be) completely alien, women should be super easy to write.

Me, I find writing female characters to be more fun than writing male characters for some reason.  Dunno why.

Edited by Milton Monday

Is s/he in the norm ( spoiler: this is much less interesting) ? is s/he acting in the norm unwillingly ? is s/he behaving against the norm? does s/he try to convince people what s/he is doing is not wrong or does s/he doesn't care?

Female character who doesn't live normally of course more interesting to read. I mean, like all of you said. There shouldnt be any significant difference between male and female if they behave like normal. I forgot to include it on first post.

I find it's easier to write in female perspective (sometimes even in first person), maybe, because I'm imagining the ideal female in my mind, idk. My female friends never criticize how I wrote it.

At least, you just need to write how female characters should behave that you see from the outside.

Imo, it's similar with man trying to draw female body and vice versa.

Ideal female is kind of perfecting female as gender. 

I'm trying to avoid that kind of character.

Female who has childhood trauma, emotion unstable (you know, like "that day" of the month but ten times worse), I think male easier to overcome with this stuff so that's why I'm curious how they (female) grow out from it.

This exactly. In my opinion, it's better to treat them as a person rather than by their label, and this goes for genders.

As long as you're not trying to do a self-insert, you should be fine.  :)

How come I self insert as woman. I don't even think can think like them  :o

As a male myself, I've never understood why so many male writers claim to have trouble writing women.  Women are human beings.  They have the same basic wants, needs and emotions as men.  If you can get inside the heads of dragons, robots, demons and other creatures whose though processes are (or should be) completely alien, women should be super easy to write.

Me, I find writing female characters to be more fun than writing male characters for some reason.  Dunno why.

But dragon, robot and demon are obviously easier  :lol:

Dragon = a beast, prioritize instinct

Robot = do exactly like what their creator do

Demon = corrupting the world

Ideal female is kind of perfecting female as gender. 

I'm trying to avoid that kind of character.

While ideal is not always a perfect female. 

They could be a fragile female, a shy female, a strong willed female, or even female with a gloomy past with fucked mind ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Female who has childhood trauma, emotion unstable (you know, like "that day" of the month but ten times worse), I think male easier to overcome with this stuff so that's why I'm curious how they (female) grow out from it.

Anyway, even male sometimes also has a coward trait.

The difference I could think is, for female, they could resolve their trauma when meeting a male, so that they could rely on him. And as for male, they meet a female that they forced to get stronger / changed / whatever to protect her. Even if they didn't meet their opposite sex, I believe they could resolve their problem in a similar way.

As a storyteller, it's good to see the story in different perspective. As far as I concern, women minds aren't that hard to understand; they tend to make things more complex, and they aren't being complex at first place. My this argument is purely subjective, so take this with a grain of salt.

See, even I as a male writer could make such writing hard to understand. So, don't feel discouraged, just do it anyway.

I think it's probably more important to consider how other characters in your world will perceive and act towards the character you're writing based on their individual personalities/cultures/biases/prejudices, etc. >o.o> And vice versa I suppose o;

What I want to say has already been said, but here we go. When you're writing for a character -any character- personality is far more important than gender. Personality is going to be the largest determining factor to how a character thinks and acts. Even if your culture has strong gender roles, the character's personality will determine how they respond to them. Really the less you worry about stereotyping the less likely you'll write them in. When I begin developing a character, gender doesn't become a factor until a bit later. About here:

I think it's probably more important to consider how other characters in your world will perceive and act towards the character you're writing based on their individual personalities/cultures/biases/prejudices, etc. >o.o> And vice versa I suppose o;

This is where gender comes into play. Interacting with other people. People will act and respond differently based on gender especially if strong gender roles are present. There may be minor or even major characters that have stereotypical views on gender. The character your developing can follow them as well. What's important is the character fits well into whatever role they are supposed to fill. 

Just write women like people. We're not really that much more complicated than men are and we can have the same personalities that men can have. Obviously, gender may affect the way that a female character carries herself depending on the setting, but I would still start with a core personality unaffected by the fact that she is a woman. After that has been established, decide how the gender roles of your setting might affect her behaviour, and how she feels about said gender roles.

The difference I could think is, for female, they could resolve their trauma when meeting a male, so that they could rely on him. And as for male, they meet a female that they forced to get stronger / changed / whatever to protect her. Even if they didn't meet their opposite sex, I believe they could resolve their problem in a similar way.

That's not a very realistic way to handle a traumatized character. Love doesn't cure psychological trauma. There is nothing wrong with giving this character a love interest to help comfort her - having a supportive loved one can make the healing process a lot easier - but it shouldn't resolve the underlying issue. Trauma can be complicated, so some amount of research will be necessary in order to accurately portray this character.

Edited by Whiona

This reminds me of a famous movie quote... Not that I agree with that of course.

But yeah, seriously, gender really doesn't have any where NEAR the impact on how people act as people think it does. Gender roles are more or less just that. Roles that people take. There is no difference between, say, the role of a nurse and the role of a doctor. Or the role of a cheerleader and the role of a nerd. Just because some roles have, due to circumstance of how society and humans evolved, are coded to one gender or another doesn't mean that other genders can't fulfill it. I would even argue roles like "mother" and "father" could be taken by either gender. In an RPG we have all sorts of roles too, often classes but not only. Why not a female tank? Why not a male shy white mage love interest? Why not a female kinda dim spicky-haired country "boy" hero type? A male spunky black magician "girl" type? Just because of our conversions about roles are coded one way doesn't mean it can't go ether way.

So yeah, the point I am making is that the role the character is going to play is much much more important then their gender. If you want to stick with traditional gender roles, learn what the roles are and how they act. If not, mix it up and just write everyone as their roles dictate regardless of gender. Remember a person can occupy many roles at once. Gender, to me aft least, is more or less completely irreverent.

Edited by KilloZapit