regendo

Open Menu during Message

This script was made as a request from AABattery (view original thread here).

While a message window is opened, press any button linked with B to enter Scene_Menu.

Q: How do I find out which button is linked with "B"?

A: Start a testplay and press F1, view keyboard config. By default, Esc and X keys are linked to "B".

Q: I don't want this script to work with any messages displayed in scene X.

A: Add this scene(s) to NOCALLMENU in line 35.

Q: Can I change the Button used?

A: Yes, by changing BUTTON in line 36.

You can always view the most recent version of the script in my github repository - code

You can get the most recent release from the release section (.rb, .zip, .tar.gz) - direct download for .rb

The most recent release isn't necessarily the most up-to-date version of the script. New releases will be added when important changes occur.

If you find anything I should fix, add or improve, please tell me so.

lg,

regendo

Edited by regendo

Well, I did not come up with that idea, I just made this to answer an request (thread).

It seems that AABattery has a text-only game in mind, so the ability to open the menu while text is being displayed is absolutely necessary.

Well, I did not come up with that idea, I just made this to answer an request (thread).

It seems that AABattery has a text-only game in mind, so the ability to open the menu while text is being displayed is absolutely necessary.

Oh ok, then I did not understand ^^'

Thanks for the reply =)

Could you give some more information about that?

Because I really don't know what's your issue.

As far as I could understand, you have some choices pop up saying:

"Would you like to save the game?" [Yes] [No]

And you then access the menu using my script, which causes the game not to save?

I have two different solutions for that:

(1) When you do the "Show Choices" command, select "When Cancelled..." "Disallow".

OR

(2) Select another button for my menu. By default, it is set to Input::B, which usually is the Escape key on your keyboard and also cancelles choice input, if allowed.

Also:

Furthermore, overwrite your old savedata will make them vanish.

What?

If you overwrite your old savedata, the old one will vanish and the one you just saved takes its place, that's how it has always been unless you use some kind of save script, that changes this behaviour.

Or did you mean something entirely different?

As of now, I have not even made a script that has to do with saving.

(One thing I think you might mean: In the trial, saving the project changes Scripts.rvdata2 back to default.

If you included my script to Scripts.rvdata2 and then saved your project, it'll be gone and you'll have to include it again.)

Thanks for your reply.

About the save issue, I don't blame your script, but it did happen to my two projects.

It shocks me too. Anyway, everyone should know the risk in case a player crash his/her savefiles.

It's much like if I ask a question to allow the player to make a decision.

"Would you like to open the chest?" [Lockpick] [Kick]

"Would you kindly save my wife and daughter? " [sure.][Pay me.]

p.s.The players will try their best to see the both outcomes, so some of them choose to save at the moment.

I..............do not suggest players keep rolling the dices, but it's useful for a beta tester.

Back to the point, I call the menu out, select "save", and then the save window pop up.

I tried to overwrite a previous savefile, but I only heard the fail sfx again and again.

Close the save window and root menu.

Kick the chest.

End the event.

Open the menu on the map normally.

Select "save", and open up the Save window.

The savefiles which I had tried to overwrite are gone!

Close the game.

Open the game directory, and the savefiles are gone too!

Visit RPG Maker VX Ace Community. Story ends.

My guess is that the "Decisions" window may conflict with one of the "Menu" or "Save" window.

Maybe the game couldn't be saved while the message, decision and root menu windows exist at the same time.

It deleted the saves first, and fail to save as a file.

However, you can save/load normally if you only use the message and root menu, so it must be the decision window.

p.s. "Decisions" window means "Lockpick or Kick"

It pops up as a new window.

Edited by dufake

So, this post is really really old, but since I need help, it's an expection from the necroposting rule, right?

I'm using 2 menus, one menu that you can't open during messages, and one menu that can be opened anytime. Since the second one is a phone menu, it doesn't take over the entire screen. The problem is that the messages disappear when you open the menu. I'd love it if the message would be still there like it is in Steins;Gate (http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--xtwEbRxT--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/669097039167395728.jpg). Is this possible yet?

Thanks in advance,

~Mastermind

So, this post is really really old, but since I need help, it's an expection from the necroposting rule, right?

I'm using 2 menus, one menu that you can't open during messages, and one menu that can be opened anytime. Since the second one is a phone menu, it doesn't take over the entire screen. The problem is that the messages disappear when you open the menu. I'd love it if the message would be still there like it is in Steins;Gate (http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--xtwEbRxT--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/669097039167395728.jpg). Is this possible yet?

Thanks in advance,

~Mastermind

It's not even about the necroposting rule, but I suggest opening a new thread in Ace Script Support, since the author of this script is not available. Last time he was online was on Jul 18 2015, so I kinda doubt he'll be able to help you. In Ace Script Support area you'd be more visible + you'd have the ability to bump your thread. Here you cannot do that, so if your question won't be noticed and covered by other threads, then you'll be unable to do anything with it.

~ Don't think only about the rules and exceptions, but also think about yourself and why the rules are here. (=