Rezanta

Creature Race Names

Hey folks! I'm here today to ask of a very interesting topic I'm befuddled in right now. How do creature races come about in terms of their name? Is it what they can do? Their physique? How the live? (The list could go on.)

I mean, I guess some names revolve around what they are, like Organization XIII from KH. You have the Heartless and Nobodies as well.

Other games, like Xenoblade and Monster Hunter, also have races for everything.

My only two examples I can provide, from anything I've used, are the Novarian phoenixes, and the Roans. (The phoenixes were a group of primary black colored phoenixes with red feathers splotched on their wings and two red tail feathers. The more elegant the splotches looked, and the closer to the middle the red tail feathers were [Novarian phoenixes had anywhere from 8 to 16 tail feathers], the more mature they were.) Roans, more commonly known as Chaingras, live around Roi, a flowering tree that blooms in the winter seasons.

For some reason, I can't think of a creative race name for Raiu's mother's kind. I only have Ariaru as a thought. >.> Any feedback is welcome :3

There are a lot of ways to go about. Neither is really any better or worse than the other. I usually name things based off an emotion or a trait. Simplicity works well for me. I've tried to get really creative with names before only to realize later that the name was over elaborate and stuffy. For example there's a mining town in my game so I gave it a very earthen name, Tempora. Another town is pretty much the most depressing place ever. It's also where you meet a character whose class is a witch. So I named it Salem. 

Same with races. The oldest race is the game hail from the continent of Oriana so Orianians. Oriana is an exotic name meaning dawn. Exotic covers the general theme of the continent and dawn for "dawn of humanity". Another example is straight from reality. An Egyptian themed race, the Gizians after Giza. 

You can do the same thing for monster/creature races. Try summing up the race in a single word or in a general theme. Then search around for names have that meaning. You can combine words as well. Xenomorphs from the "Alien" movies are just two Latin words stuck together. "Xeno" and "Morph" which mean "Unknown" and Form". The more you develop the race your trying to name is, the easier it will become.

I personally have a semi-fleshed out ancient language, and all of the race names in my game come from a word, or phrase in the language. For example, the human race in my game are known as the Valnius, which means inherit. I also have the Sigth, which means to wander. This is basically the same as naming them after a trait normal to their race, but coming up with a language allows for some freedom in the actual names, since the name is whatever you decide the word is in the language.

Sometimes it's better to just blurt out pure gibberish until you find something that sounds nice and doesn't necessarily have a meaning. Like, off the top of my head as I'm writing this - the Yularian race. You won't find a meaning for this word in the English language, but it has a nice ring to it if you ask me and that might as well be good enough for a made up race. You don't always have to give everything in the world a meaning, unless it's for some reason really important to understand how the race got its name.

Edited by TheManlyFairy