Along with Flailcast (where I blindly, but completely play through a game), my Magically Delicious St. Patrick's Day Special, and others, I want to do a LOT of fighting game playthroughs and have their own separate category set up.  The idea is I give myself 3 credits and see how far I can go.  With a lot of these, I may only need one, but I'll give myself 3 just in case.

The idea here is try to pick some awesome, bizarre, and/or otherwise obscure fighting games.  One I can already envision doing that not a whole lot of people seem to know about is Waku Waku 7.  In any case, if you have any strange, weird, or obscure suggestions or just games you'd like me to play that are fighting games, let me know.  I'll post my plays here.

Waku Waku 7 is indeed a mighty game of win. 

Anyway, the first bunch of weird, obscure fighting games (that are actually good) that come to mind are Groove-On Fight and Fighters Megamix on the Saturn, Matrimelee on the Neo Geo and Slap Happy Rhythm Busters on the PS1.   

Edited by Milton Monday

Here's my first entry...

Yes, it's Fatal Fury!  This was one of the first non-Street Fighter fighting games I played in the arcade.  It's not as elegant as I remember, but it's still pretty fun, just awfully cheap near the end of the game.

And here's another entry...

Waku Waku 7 is seriously full of win.  It's an anime fighter with great music, visuals, animation...well, pretty much everything.  It controls well and is damn fun to play.

Yet another entry...

I absolutely love this fighting game.  It's incredibly stylish and damn fun.  This is probably my favorite fighting game for the Neo Geo, if not KOF98.

Here's yet another one...

What's this? A movie licensed game? That happens to be a Double Dragon versus fighter? AND it's good?!  This is a tragically overlooked game firstly because it's a movie-licensed game, but secondly because NOOOOOOOOOOOOBODY liked Double Dragon 5.  This game is amazing and fun.

I actually did several in a row, but I'll try to space these out.

This is one of my all time favorite fighting games.  Well, to be honest, almost anything with Terry Bogard in it is an instant fave, so there's that.  :P

Here's a quick one.

This game is ridiculous.  It feels like Ring King, but with yakuza.  I honestly don't know how else to explain it.

Here we go.

This one's a classic that I think everyone should try.  Not only is it pre-Street Fighter, but the game was played with a trackball in the arcade, it's legitimately hard, there are a wide variety of attacks you can pull off, and each opponent is considerably challenging in their own way.

These fighting games are pretty weird sometimes...

lol Yie Ar Kung-Fu ~ I remember that game from NES ~ I was having fun with that. :D

4fcd1ded76c5d.jpg

Many similarities can be seen between these two versions. ^^

Oh, I have weirder stuff to go, trust me. :P But before we get into that...

This game is WAY harder than I remember.  It seems like enemies don't take ANY damage at all when they block...and they block constantly.  Still very fun, but I would only recommend it for diehards.

Here's another great fighter most people forgot about...

They really ramped up the multi-dimensional fighting in this one.  It's also super easy to chain moves to each other, creating complex and diverse combos.  A very fine entry in the Fatal Fury series.

I LOVE this game...

I'm sure most people know about it by now, but I remember playing this in my senior year in high school (1999 - 2000).  This is some epic stuff and the last "official" Fatal Fury.  Sure, there are others, but they're not oldschool Neo Geo.  This game is absolutely amazing.

Here's a nice weird one...

Yeah, Jackie Chan made 2 of these.  This is the second, more updated one.  But yes, you can play as Jackie Chan, Jackie Chan, and even Jackie Chan!  Oy vey.  :lol:

And here's the last one I have for now...

Yep, a bunch of Golden Axe characters in a great, big free-for-all.  This game is TOUGH.  It has a few interesting concepts, but I feel like you can only really get good if you've played it for a while.

Here's a fun one...

Imagine King of the Monsters, but with a feel similar to the Megaman arcade game.  This is seriously fun stuff.  I'm actually planning on going back through on twitch and doing this live with unlimited credits.

That wasn't the cutest little pony I've seen. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Fun game indeed ~ though if possible ~ you could throw some more credits to finish the game, because it was kinda interesting. =P

Also never too much of Jackie Chan's! ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I wish the emulator was better, but I still love this game...

This one's slightly different than the version I'm used to as I played the original VF4, but it's still pretty fun all the same.  We get some fun ninja action going on with good ol' Kage!

I love this fighting game...

So for those of you who haven't tried this, it's basically Guilty Gear/Blazblue, but indie.  It's fast, frenzied, and just damn fun.  I recommend picking up at least the base game.  Haven't tried any of the DLC.

Falling a little behind here...

This is yet another case of "not as good as I remember it."  Granted, I think the only reason to play it is the Final Fantasy characters, but don't expect me to be doing Dissidia anytime soon.

Here's an awesome, but bizarre one...

So apparently this is part of the Power Instinct series (which I should have realized due to returning characters).  It's pretty fun and has some interesting features, but definitely strange.  Good stuff.

Here's a sweet ass fighter that's a follow up to the Double Dragon fighting game on Neo Geo that didn't suck...and it doesn't suck either!

Yeah, I love this one, but good LORD is it cheap.  It'll definitely require some practice to get through, but it's so fun.