JuJu

screenshots Too small, too dark, or... just right?

For my game, I've been using a mish-mosh of tilesets (mostly Celianna's brillancy, with some RTP stuff thrown in as well) and working on the maps for the main town. These three are my favorites (so far) that I've made. I really just want some feedback on what I'm doing right, what I'm doing wrong, what I should improve on or get rid of entirely, etc. Any CC would be appreciated! 

tumblr_o5uk5jAatD1umi60qo1_1280.png

tumblr_o5uk5jAatD1umi60qo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_o5uk5jAatD1umi60qo3_1280.jpg

Map1

I like how the tiles blend together. I think the "grass" (the plain green ground) can do with a bit of sprucing? Maybe some patches of grass or flowers? Everything looks nice in this map, but lack of ground decoration was my first thought when i opened this spoiler.

Map2

I actually don't see anything wrong with this. It's nicely cluttered and nothing seems obstructing or such. It looks lively enough~

Map3

There is to much space. The shop design and such is nice, and I like the shaping of it, but the shop floor (the bit where the clothing sit) is to open/spacious. I think the map would look nicer more compressed/smaller, but keep the same layout.

That's just my opinions though. The map's themselves are really nicely done~

Just like takeo said.

The first map, you can add more grass tile and tree.

I dont know about size, but some town are tend to have small amount of house.

And also, do chandelier have to visible ? If so, then you should edit that by adding shadow below.

So it can create feeling of above character.

1st Map It is a good simple village/town part map design. But i agree with ashm, You need to put a little more grass tile and some flowers/trees.

But it depends on your kind of taste.

2nd Map It is a well designed shop/Bakery as far as i can see it. But if you are planning to make the room with stairs on the upper-left corner of the 

shop passable, You may want to remove the obstruction(barrel/jug) blocking the door way.

3rd Map Ehrm... It is a bit spacious, Make the room a little more compact, But not too much because you want the player to walk around the shop's 

garments. And if you want to put a chandelier, You may want to search for some roof beam tile.  :D

They are pretty nice overall. They are simple and elegant at the same time, not really noticing a huge clash on a cursory glance. The first map could use a bit of life to it, though, especially around the lower right grass area by the well. Some flowers or something other than grass would probably catch my eye more. Maybe an extra table between the blue haired person and the first table (on the left of her) would also remove some of the void in that second picture.

Otherwise, I think the light effects are just right.

Looks great, wouldn't change the lighting at all!  I agree with others on adding a bit more flora to Map 1, and on the stone path circling the fountain, you could try taking the two square corners on the bottom edge (or one actually, since the left one is blocked by a tree), and replacing them with 50/50 path/grass tiles split on the diagonal, to mirror the fountain's octagon shape.

Nice details on Map 2, food items and reds and greens in the kitchen have a very agreeable palette.  I might tone down the brightness of the of the table rug, and possibly try a new floor tile, but that's all I can think of here (though you might be missing a shadow piece in the bottom left corner?)

Real neat sprites in Map 3, I quite like the cape and helmets.  I agree that it looks a bit sparse, but that could work if there are a lot of NPCs shopping, or a mechanic to add items to the store inventory as the game progress.

Keep it up!

They look alright only complaint i guess is they look a bit spacious could reduce the area and push things together a little bit. try filling in the town with some flowers or grass

The shadows in the last one look kind of weird too, I think it could use a stronger blur (try like, a gaussian blur set on 10 or something)~ Also if you're going to use soft shadows in the corners you should make the autoshadow cast by the left wall soft too ^^